Best Pizza in NYC (Queens, Brooklyn, Bx, Manhattan, SI and Long Island)

I fear the hate mail, anger and criticism that this might evoke (especially from the Italians) but I have been to the celebrated and spectacular and the best, wood fire and brick oven and coal and made the trips into Brooklyn and Pepe's in Yale, New Haven Connecticut, paid those ridiculous prices and it was all fun and adventurous.

(Now, here it comes) Costco is not a bad pizza. I mean too cheesy but if you can handle that thick slab of rich decadent melted scamorza or mozzarella and I like to reheat it at home to dry out the doughiness --- but the value and satisfaction drives me back. And just to watch the families on the cheap plastic chairs forgetting all their prior arguments for a spell -- everybody's happy. Dad scored a bargain; mom doesn't have to cook; and the kids wouldn't know the difference between Costco pizza and the undisputed best pie on the planet.
I've had Costco pizza it's not bad. But let's be real that shit is nowhere near as good as fresh made pizza from places like New Park Pizza, Ozone pizza, L&B spumoni gardens.

With the plastic on cardboard garbage many pizzerias are selling these days I have to confess that I sometimes just opt for the $1/slice places. At least for normal run on the mill I'm on the run pizza if it's available. And if I want a good sit down at a place I often just avoid the pizza altogether at many places.
Plastic on cardboard....one of the best descriptions for many pizza places. Especially outside of NY.

Cugini in Mineola on Jericho, always have to stop there when I am over that way. Its not gourmet, sexy, over the top, its the dough, the chew in the dough, the crust, and the sauce. Also Mama Mia in Northport on 25A, they're Penne Ala Vodka slice is outstanding!

I am a traditionalist, I don't do the Baked Ziti, Macaroni and Cheese, Chicken Tikka Masala type of pies.
A traditionalist that eats a penne ala vodka slice?

A traditionalist that eats a penne ala vodka slice?
LOL.
Should I want a plate of penne ala vodka I would order a plate of penne ala vodka.

Pizza is correctly eaten, IMHO, w/o any extras—no meatballs, no sausage, no anchovies, no extra sauce, no extra parmesan shaken from the little bottle or no hot pepper flakes—just a hot slice of pizza with slightly charred crust with the slice held in one hand, slightly folded into a V and the tip flipped over onto the rest of the slice.

LOL.
Should I want a plate of penne ala vodka I would order a plate of penne ala vodka.

Pizza is correctly eaten, IMHO, w/o any extras—no meatballs, no sausage, no anchovies, no extra sauce, no extra parmesan shaken from the little bottle or no hot pepper flakes—just a hot slice of pizza with slightly charred crust with the slice held in one hand, slightly folded into a V and the tip flipped over onto the rest of the slice.
..and then tip the slice back and let the oil drip on the wax paper..

LOL.

Don’t forget sesame seeds on the crusts

LOL.

I agree with everything except the flipping of the tip, no pun attended. I enjoy a pepperoni or a white slice every once and awhile. I literally just was at Louie and Ernie's in the Bronx today for lunch.

I agree with everything except the flipping of the tip, no pun attended. I enjoy a pepperoni or a white slice every once and awhile. I literally just was at Louie and Ernie's in the Bronx today for lunch.
sometimes since it is so thin at that point, it droops down (no pun intended) and some of the cheese, tomato and oil drips off.

Branchinellis in Hauppauge on Long Island. There Sicilian is great!
Only good pizzerias in Long island that I agree with so far is Ancona Pizza in Valley Stream, Colloseo PJS, Cugini's Mineola. Other than that I've had a few spots and they were just ok.

Umberto's is decent for pastas and calamari. Branchinellis is Sub-par. As a former Queens resident who has been all over the 4 boroughs - Staten Island isn't a borough!! Lol and much of Long island now Queens is by far better for pizza and second is Brooklyn.

Forgot if mentioned or not II Colosseo in Bensonhurst is good for brick oven thin sliced.

U ppl are going to wreck my diet. Kesté on Bleeker St NYC. Classic pizzeria/restaurant. Not that half pizzeria, half restaurant in the back. Sit down small place with good selection of imported drink. Large selection of personal style pies. Only place I've been to that has caciocavallo slice. They also do a nice Nutella brioche for dessert. Pricey, yes. But one of my favs

LOL.

I agree. When growing up in Italian neighborhoods in America, pizza was soooo simple. In the local bars they were served up and called "a bar pie." My grandfather would not recognize what they serve today. Super thin crust, a little burned, even black, sauce and speckled with scamorza cheese and oil pooled in the middle of the pie. As a kid from America though, it was disheartening to get a slice with a deficient amount of cheese. In the early days, I don't remember any add-ons like sausage. As time went on, some places allowed you to order extra cheese. IMHO, that was a good American improvement and made it more satisfying. As a kid eating a traditional original bare bar pie, I could easily consume the pie because it was not rich with cheese and yeasted crust.

In Italy, it was a bare pie, by tradition. The main ingredient was wheat. Pizza was a wheat bread with some flavoring. And whatever was available according to the season. But it was a sparse topping. It remained a bread with a flavoring, little cheese, olive oil, herbs, tomatoes, olives, indigenous scraps of whatever

I mean when I started seeing, pineapple and chicken and everything but the kitchen sink atop the originally hallowed, blessed, sacred Italian pizza -- or as my father called it "apizza," (maybe the local Connecticut word as many Italian immigrants settled there off of Ellis Island) I couldn't believe it. Fricken "PINEAPPLE" -- and Pokler wants to learn me a lesson good and proper (only break my legs if I am lucky) by the goodfellas for merely enjoying a sloppy American Costco pie. (LOL)

But the pies that you guys seem to crave and pay the big bucks for are more close to those original Italian pies, more rustic in composition and fired in more traditional ovens.

BTW, in and around our area are "Singa's," a very flavorful Indian pizza. Maybe not exactly original but you have to try it. Indian families crave "Singa's" and the "Singa" experience. Don't compare it but go in with a fresh mind and blend with the local Indian community and just try a Singa's pie or two and get back to me.

BTW, in and around our area are "Singa's," a very flavorful Indian pizza. Maybe not exactly original but you have to try it. Indian families crave "Singa's" and the "Singa" experience. Don't compare it but go in with a fresh mind and blend with the local Indian community and just try a Singa's pie or two and get back to me.
Singas is Greek recipe pizza (not Indian) characterized by the oily yet crunchy crust, variety of cheeses and minimal sauce.

http://singaspizzas.com/about/