Banacek...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google and everyone else. "Big Brother is watching" has been here for ages.
Yes, @jimgar , I know that incognito mode is limited in what it does. But I'm only on my PC from home and all I'm looking to do is limit the tracking cookies and avoid any history on my computer when visiting UG.
I have a question for you... I'm noticing ppl are "following" me on here. Complete strangers can "follow" me? Ppl that just signed up yesterday, I haven't even posted anything in a few days, are now "following" me... how do I make that stop? I can't stop anyone from reading my posts, other than stop posting, but I'd like to stop being "followed". There's a cop feel to it. Thanks.

I have a question for you... I'm noticing ppl are "following" me on here. Complete strangers can "follow" me? Ppl that just signed up yesterday, I haven't even posted anything in a few days, are now "following" me... how do I make that stop? I can't stop anyone from reading my posts, other than stop posting, but I'd like to stop being "followed". There's a cop feel to it. Thanks.
I have never been asked nor even seen that question but I understand your concern. I went into the privacy settings and could not see an option to limit those following you, so I don't think that is possible. I will report this to Slinky and see if he knows any way to control it.

Even though this is unsettling for you, it's actually a compliment in a way. It means that other members consider your posts important enough that they want to be alerted any time you post. But in reality, it's really no different than going into the board daily and checking out new posts. Had you made a new comment or started a new thread, your post would be read either way.

My only suggestion would be to follow everyone who is following you. This would accomplish two things. First, it would show you how the function works. Second, it would show those following you how it feels to be followed. If I find out a way to turn the function off, I will let you know.

And if you have any other privacy concerns, I suggest you go into your profile and visit the "privacy" tab to tweak the available settings in there.

I have never been asked nor even seen that question but I understand your concern. I went into the privacy settings and could not see an option to limit those following you, so I don't think that is possible. I will report this to Slinky and see if he knows any way to control it.

Even though this is unsettling for you, it's actually a compliment in a way. It means that other members consider your posts important enough that they want to be alerted any time you post. But in reality, it's really no different than going into the board daily and checking out new posts. Had you made a new comment or started a new thread, your post would be read either way.

My only suggestion would be to follow everyone who is following you. This would accomplish two things. First, it would show you how the function works. Second, it would show those following you how it feels to be followed. If I find out a way to turn the function off, I will let you know.

And if you have any other privacy concerns, I suggest you go into your profile and visit the "privacy" tab to tweak the available settings in there.
I've been into the privacy settings to see if I can block ppl from "following" me. There is no option to do that. Most are non-contributing lurkers anyway, so there's really no need to "follow" them since they have zero posts and contribute nothing, just poaching off of others hard work and monetary sacrifice. Scumbags.
I understand your thoughts on it being a compliment for ppl to "follow" someone, but if you've been in my line of, whatever you want to call it, business? as long as I have, there's no feeling of it being complimentary, it feels like someone is measuring you. Looking for similarities in posts, cracks in the shell, to expose one's anonymity. I post all the time. There's no need to "follow" me. I don't want to be "followed". And honestly, if there's no way to block ppl from "following" me, I'll just stop posting and become a lurker, which is a shame, b/c I enjoy contributing. It's what makes this board work.
Anyway. Sorry to chew your ear off on this glorious Sunday morning.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I actually asked the same thing awhile ago as I found it unsettling.
I bet you are referring to Rosasweets85 from Merrick. She started following me and Niceguy yesterday so I was wondering if it had something to do with his latest posts. But now I see she added you and a bunch of others.
I wonder who she is and what her end game is.

I bet you are referring to Rosasweets85 from Merrick. She started following me and Niceguy yesterday so I was wondering if it had something to do with his latest posts. But now I see she added you and a bunch of others.
"She"? I'm not sure if it's better or worse if it's a she, which I'm thinking it's not. And if it is a she, that is very very unsettling. I see Kallie just started "following" me, but we all know she's legit. Yeah, I'm out if ppl who don't contribute can just start "following" me without hitting me up on a post first and say, like what you contribute, I'm gonna follow your posts. It's creepy. Feel like I'm being watched by an undercover. Not my cup of tea...

As you can see, the software just went through an upgrade. It will probably take awhile to learn any new features available to us. I will be sure to put this issue on the list. In the meantime, I have a thought. I think there is an option to "block" ignore people, which would prevent you from seeing their posts. I wonder if it would also prevent them from seeing yours. Since you said that they were lurkers anyway, I wonder if it would prevent them from also seeing yours. BTW, if they were truly browsing in working mode, following you would not help them because they would not get any alerts.

Last edited:
I did notice and it certainly looks nicer at least. I was going through the preferences and noticed that there's no switch to have new messages post first as there was in the old software. That's a function I really liked and I wonder if that can be added. It always takes a while to work all the bugs ou, but it looks good so far.

I did notice and it certainly looks nicer at least. I was going through the preferences and noticed that there's no switch to have new messages post first as there was in the old software. That's a function I really liked and I wonder if that can be added. It always takes a while to work all the bugs ou, but it looks good so far.
I am actually looking for that myself right this minute. Slinky had told us that the software was going to be updated and asked the mods to start making notes like this. I will add it to the list.

I jumped to that conclusion too, billy, based on the screen name. But Rosasweets85 just made an introductory comment about posting reviews, so it looks like that is a male.

billyS

Reign of Terror
As you can see, the software just went through an upgrade. It will probably take awhile to learn any new features available to us. I will be sure to put this issue on the list. In the meantime, I have a thought. I think there is an option to "block" ignore people, which would prevent you from seeing their posts. I wonder if it would also prevent them from seeing yours. Since you said that they were lurkers anyway, I wonder if it would prevent them from also seeing yours. BTW, if they were truly browsing in working mode, following you would not help them because they would not get any alerts.
Bad news on the Search feature. I was going to post a review but decided to search the phone number first to see if there already was one. I entered 631-449-6087 and it disallowed the 631 and 449 even though I had the dashes

Bad news on the Search feature. I was going to post a review but decided to search the phone number first to see if there already was one. I entered 631-449-6087 and it disallowed the 631 and 449 even though I had the dashes
Okay, thanks. I will add that to the list and look into it.

I've been into the privacy settings to see if I can block ppl from "following" me.
Looking further into your issue, it appears that the way people follow you and receive notices about your content is through their receiving your NEWSFEED. In PREFERENCES there is an option to set your NEWSFEED to NOBODY that might prevent that.
Go to PRIVACY, then ALLOW USERS TO and set RECEIVE YOUR NEWS FEED to NOBODY.
See if that works.

That's interesting and should be fixed, but it still pulls up the query using the last four digits of the phone number. In the meantime it looks like you can still do a phone search, but will have to weed through the results in the unlikely event that there are multiple numbers that have the same last digits.

That's interesting and should be fixed, but it still pulls up the query using the last four digits of the phone number. In the meantime it looks like you can still do a phone search, but will have to weed through the results in the unlikely event that there are multiple numbers that have the same last digits.
Which is not an ideal search situation and was the impetus for Slinky's rule about phone number format to avoid that exact scenario. The software always ignored a search for short words but it allowed the area code and exchange to be used. I'm guessing that may have had something to do with the dashes, but I am not certain.

Looking further into your issue, it appears that the way people follow you and receive notices about your content is through their receiving your NEWSFEED. In PREFERENCES there is an option to set your NEWSFEED to NOBODY that might prevent that.
Go to PRIVACY, then ALLOW USERS TO and set RECEIVE YOUR NEWS FEED to NOBODY.
See if that works.
Thanks. Here's to hoping that works...

Thanks. Here's to hoping that works...
I hope so. I just started following you. I will see what reports if any that gives me.
But, as a mod, I may have more privileges than a member so I will ask Perry to follow you also.
(Kinda like Lois trying to find out if Clark is really Superman. Just don't duck into too many phone booths or he might lose track of you.)

So here is what happens with "following." When you follow someone, it adds their content to your newsfeed. Similar to what FB does.

In this case, it gives you a list of all the posts that the followed members have made. You can then go into WHAT'S NEW and then YOUR NEWS FEED to find the list of posts. It puts them in chronological order by date/time.

I don't know how you clear it though. So whether or not that list just keeps growing, I haven't got a clue. At least when you read something in the NEW POSTS section, it gets cleared. Having a huge list of other members posts would be cumbersome for me. We shall see.

So far, with the lone exception of the member who prompted me to look into this, I am only going to follow members that either indicate that I annoyed them or that annoy me. So if you're on my list, don't take it as a compliment.

So here is what happens with "following." When you follow someone, it adds their content to your newsfeed. Similar to what FB does.

In this case, it gives you a list of all the posts that the followed members have made. You can then go into WHAT'S NEW and then YOUR NEWS FEED to find the list of posts. It puts them in chronological order by date/time.

I don't know how you clear it though. So whether or not that list just keeps growing, I haven't got a clue. At least when you read something in the NEW POSTS section, it gets cleared. Having a huge list of other members posts would be cumbersome for me. We shall see.

So far, with the lone exception of the member who prompted me to look into this, I am only going to follow members that either indicate that I annoyed them or that annoy me. So if you're on my list, don't take it as a compliment.
I've had no reason to post recently so I haven't. But I did get notified that you're following me. So let's test this theory...

And oh yes...Perry White is now following me as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.