Antidepressants

There’s this guy I work with. A happier, more pleasant person you will never meet. He was telling me that his wife nags, and criticizes him constantly. From the way he describes the situation, you would think he would be miserable, and/or surly divorced her. Yet he seems to take it all in stride, as far as I know he has never been in therapy, taken any sort of medication, had couple’s therapy or needed or wanted any other sort help (all though I’m sure he hasn’t told me every thing about his private life).

My point is, certain people just seem to some how able to adapt to life situations better then others. Makes you wonder.
Turns out that this guy has a malignant brain tumor. I can’t help but feel that if he hadn’t held everything in, he wouldn’t be in this state. Some times a good shit fit might be just what the doctor ordered.

I've been on b12 patch fairemily suggested for 2 weeks now. Can't say i'm feel a boost of energy.
Then you probably don't have a B12 deficiency. I have been taking zantac every day for over 10 years as well as having endometriosis which both can cause a deficiency. Not all fatigue is related to B12 and B6 but many cases are. Did you read what can the cause B12 deficiency on the website? It did take a few months to be able to compare the difference. Sometimes I forget a week and noticed all I want to do is sleep and then I put one on and feel much better. It's not like you put one on and run a marathon, if your body is depleted then it takes time to replenish. No matter what a little extra B12 and B6 is good for you. Every doctor I tell says it's a scam but if that's the case what about B12 injections given by doctors, maybe they don't want to lose the buisness. I not only felt energy but more important mental clarity, I'm sorry my suggestion did not work for you.

Never had any laughing gas. If it is anything to get you high, I am sure there is strict laws around it.
I had a very nice but overzealous dentist from 8yrs -25yrs and he only used laughing gas when filling cavities. I guess it's closely related to Special K where you are conscience but in a twilight, I do not recommend it for any kind recreational use. It can cause severe headaches and nausea but then again when I have Novocaine my heart races so much I feel like I might have a heart attack.

There is a new treatment for severe, treatment resistant depression that seems to work where other treatments have not. It was found that a particular area of the brain, referred to as "Area 25" by neurologists, became overly active in people suffering from severe, treatment resistant depression. The treatment used consisted of inserting two tiny electrodes into the brain. The electrodes are connected to a device similar to a heart pacemaker. A series of electric pulses are sent to the brain. The results are extremely encouraging, 78% of patients who participated in the trials experienced significant improvement.

The groundbreaking research of Helen Mayberg, M.D., and Andres Lozano, M.D., which was published in Neuron in March 2005.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/106460.php

Last edited:
There is a new treatment for severe, treatment resistant depression that seems to work where other treatments have not. It was found that a particular area of the brain, referred to as "Area 25" by neurologists, became overly active in people suffering from severe, treatment resistant depression. The treatment used consisted of inserting two tiny electrodes into the brain. The electrodes are connected to a device similar to a heart pacemaker. A series of electric pulses are sent to the brain. The results are extremely encouraging, 78% of patients who participated in the trials experienced significant improvement.

The groundbreaking research of Helen Mayberg, M.D., and Andres Lozano, M.D., which was published in Neuron in March 2005.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/106460.php
Elmo - Very scary.

No, not really. There was a story about it on PBS this afternoon, It's not nearly as evasive as you might think. It's really a minor operation. The patient stays awake during the entire operation.
Psychiatrists have a long history of poking, electrifying, shocking, and cutting up patients brain's. These past, and some current treatments offer little help, and no cure.

Not to say that this new re-packaged treatment will not give hope, and a new life to a few. What scares me is the possibility of the over use and abuse of this new treatment, as history has shown us. By the time they decide that they are causing more harm then good, they usher in the next miracle treatment.

Look what they said in the article, 21 million Americans suffer from depression. This translates into 21 million prescriptions every month. At $3 dollars a pill, add up the numbers.

I am very skeptical about the entire medical profession and pharmaceutical gaints. Psychiatry and there medications are high on my list.

Psychiatrists have a long history of poking, electrifying, shocking, and cutting up patients brain's. These past, and some current treatments offer little help, and no cure.

Not to say that this new re-packaged treatment will not give hope, and a new life to a few. What scares me is the possibility of the over use and abuse of this new treatment, as history has shown us. By the time they decide that they are causing more harm then good, they usher in the next miracle treatment.

Look what they said in the article, 21 million Americans suffer from depression. This translates into 21 million prescriptions every month. At $3 dollars a pill, add up the numbers.

I am very skeptical about the entire medical profession and pharmaceutical gaints. Psychiatry and there medications are high on my list.
If every one thought like you, medical science would have not gone beyond leeches, cupping and blood letting.

As someone who has suffered from Severe Clinical Depression I have two comments. One is that you are assuming that all 21 Million cases are being treated, and treated with prescriptions at that. The second comment is that your skepticism aside, I have no doubt at all that Zoloft saved my life. Is it possible that antidepressants, like all medications, are over prescribed? Yes, but that should raise questions about how drugs are marketed, not their efficacy.

As someone who has suffered from Severe Clinical Depression I have two comments. One is that you are assuming that all 21 Million cases are being treated, and treated with prescriptions at that. The second comment is that your skepticism aside, I have no doubt at all that Zoloft saved my life. Is it possible that antidepressants, like all medications, are over prescribed? Yes, but that should raise questions about how drugs are marketed, not their efficacy.
I have used antidepressants, and while they have helped, they don't seem to help completely. this procedure I mentioned a few posts back seem to offer the next step in getting completely well. I think that this ground-breaking research is the next step in us being able to leave the past in the past and just get over it.

I was placed on Efexior by a Psychiatrist. I went to him because I was having trouble sleeping after seperating from my wife. The next day I had strong suicidal thoughts. I wanted to crash my car into a wall. The next day I made an emergency appointment. When I told him what I was going through, he looked at me as though I was nuts, and increased my dose.

The next day the thoughts became so strong, that I stayed home from work. I had to do everything in my power, not to jump off a building. I stopped the medication and so did the thoughts. That was the first and last time, I ever had thought of suicide. I hope you can understand why I am so troubled by Psychiatry.

With that said, I am also convinced that the medications are very helpful for some, and as in your case are life saving medication.

One is that you are assuming that all 21 Million cases are being treated, and treated with prescriptions at that. .
In 1985, sales of antidepressants in the US totaled roughly $240 million, but from September 1, 2003 to August 30, 2004, sales rose to $11.2 billion, according to IMS, a health care tracking firm.

That is a lot of pills.

Is it possible that antidepressants, like all medications, are over prescribed? Yes, but that should raise questions about how drugs are marketed, not their efficacy.
Yes they are. This is why I am very skeptical of the whole medical system. Because of the nature of Psychiatric drugs and the patents they are being prescribed to, there has to be a special sensitivity. I found this article which makes a good point:

SSRI's may not be compared with regular medications, like insulin to treat diabetics. SSRI's are psychoactive, blood-brain barrier passing drugs and interact with the serotonergic system in the brain. Another example of drugs interacting with the serotonergic system are LSD and Ecstasy (MDMA). The serotonergic system is responsible for "how we perceive, experience and feel the inside and outside world". YOU and only YOU created the neuropaths of this serotonergic system through the years by learning new things over and over again. And so it represents YOUR serotonergic system with it's own unique structure, playing a big role in the composition of YOUR mind, YOUR consciousness, YOUR emotions, YOUR thoughts. When these serotonergic brain cells are artificially pushed (by SSRI's) to act beyond their capacity or boundaries, this can result in the most disastrous serious adverse reactions. People need to be informed about the risks especially when children are involved

I have used antidepressants, and while they have helped, they don't seem to help completely. this procedure I mentioned a few posts back seem to offer the next step in getting completely well. I think that this ground-breaking research is the next step in us being able to leave the past in the past and just get over it.
That would be great. I don't trust them.

That would be great. I don't trust them.
I'm not running out and getting either at this point, but it is encouraging that they have accomplished this, it is just a matter time until the procedure is refined to the point where wires are coming out of your skull running to an external pace maker like device leaving you open to infection and having the wires pulled out accidentally.

You mean when wires are not coming out of your skull, right?
No, you read right the first time. The procedure has wired coming out of your skull. That's why I'm not running out to get it. While it is a brilliant idea, it's still a work in progress. I wrote it wrong, sorry.

Last edited:
Right now the procedure has tiny electrodes connected to area 25 of your brain (has nothing to with area 51) which connect to a pace maker like device (which is located out side your body) which sends charges to your brain which some how makes you feel less depressed. I would wait until the entire system is totally enclosed with in your body, like they do with heart pace makers.

Last edited: