2020 Yankees Post Mortem and 2020-21 Hot Stove thread

He was really good in 2018 .. but christ ... TWO tommy John surgeries?? Wow! It is not bad to give him a shot but if I had to pick rotation slots:

1. Cole
2. Kluber
3. Montgomery
then you have the rest competing in spring training for the other two spots:
German
Garcia
King
Schmitt
Loisaga
Taillon

6 guys fighting for 2 spots! There's pandemonium in the ring!!!

Taillon is very good when he is healthy. I have been following this guy for ten years, had him on many of my fantasy baseball teams. He could be a steal for a few years at a bargain of a price. I read he is changing his delivery a bit to reduce stress on his arm.

Interesting fact, Pirates lost 99 games in 2009 and drafted Taillon in 2010 with the #2 overall pick. in 2010 they lost 105 games and drafted Cole with the number 1 pick in 2011 - Now both are on the Yankees and in their prime.[/QUOTE]

So Tallion had success .... blew out his arm ... TWICE .... then changed his delivery to avoid stress. Doesn't sound encouraging. But heh! It couldn't hurt to have him compete for a spot. However if German pitches like he did in 2019 - he gets the spot - if Garcia shows he can be consistently as good as he showed at times last year - he gets a spot. Out of those 6 guys I listed above - I feel really good that 2 of them will be at least decent.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Ottavino to the Red Sox
Big salary dump! $9 million to spend on another piece.
He looked like a deer in the headlights in the 2019 playoffs and Boone didn't even trust him this year.
He had that one good year in Colorado and the Yankees paid him based on that.
But I think what happened was that teams started laying off that big slider and he wasn't fooling anybody any more.
He's going to be 35 next season so I doubt he reinvents himself again.

It was a good dump even if it was the Red Sox.

Would you ever think the Yank would have to salary dump? I dont know what prospect they gave up for the Sox to take on the salary, you guys would know. But like Steve has mentioned, These are the George's yanks anymore.

They've done it before. Most recently Chase Headly.
I have to respect that. Boston may have been the only team that would take him, but I have to give Cashman credit. i dont think he care who he trades with. mets, Boston, Rays, Etc. Plus, On the radio, some Yank fans hated it , but obviously they will spend that money somewhere else. Their salary dump is much different than most team that dump salary. Yanks dump salary of a player, where most teams, dump salarys for dumping payroll.

For the majority of his games pitched, Ottavino was real good especially in his first season. But he had a few bad appearances last season and at times could not find the strike zone. He may be better suited as a set up or a closer which was his role in Colorado. He'll do well in Boston.

So what happens next? Kahnle and Otto gone who replaces them? I think German will be in the bullpen assuming Kluber and Taishon are in the rotation. Maybe we get Josh Hader in a deal?

So what happens next? Kahnle and Otto gone who replaces them? I think German will be in the bullpen assuming Kluber and Taishon are in the rotation. Maybe we get Josh Hader in a deal?
Colome and Rosenthal are still out there, I would watch those two if Cashman were to sign a reliever. We definitely need at least 1.

As much as I would like Hader, I doubt he is coming to NY to pitch the 7th inning, unless Chapman is being moved.

Still think we need a legit lefty bat.

MOCK TRADE:

Reds Get:
Torres, Andújar, German, Esteval

Yanks Get:
Castillo

Slide DJ to 2B, sign DIDI and his lefty bat, along with a STUD ACE to compliment Cole.

Colome and Rosenthal are still out there, I would watch those two if Cashman were to sign a reliever. We definitely need at least 1.

As much as I would like Hader, I doubt he is coming to NY to pitch the 7th inning, unless Chapman is being moved.

Still think we need a legit lefty bat.

MOCK TRADE:

Reds Get:
Torres, Andújar, German, Esteval

Yanks Get:
Castillo

Slide DJ to 2B, sign DIDI and his lefty bat, along with a STUD ACE to compliment Cole.
Torres not going anywhere.