2018 Mets

billyS

Reign of Terror
Mets have a young up and coming SS. Mets dont need an Over priced, so called Superstar who doesn't hustle, is a dirty player and is a dick. Besides that? There is NO chance...
Lol, tell us how you really feel about Machado.
I got to see him up close this year at Camden Yards and he is a phenomenal talent.
Mets need to sell tickets too.
If the Mets signed him (to play third) and Harper it would rejuvenate the fan base and make them instant favorite for the division.

Lol, tell us how you really feel about Machado.
I got to see him up close this year at Camden Yards and he is a phenomenal talent.
Mets need to sell tickets too.
If the Mets signed him (to play third) and Harper it would rejuvenate the fan base and make them instant favorite for the division.
I agree, but , why mention both players. That would never happen , ever, that they would sign both. Hey, remember, not that many years go, the Mets were always looking to sign big Free agents. Is this the year, that they think about doing it again? I doubt it but you never know. But then again, I think I do know, and its not going to happen. But they will make those calls, just to tease and appease the fans.

Mets have a young up and coming SS. Mets dont need an Over priced, so called Superstar who doesn't hustle, is a dirty player and is a dick. Besides that? There is NO chance...
Unfortunately to many so called superstars don't hustle and are dicks in today's game. This is why it is so refreshing to see a guy like Nimmo running down the line when he walks and hustles out of the box for that extra base. The same can be said about McNeil although he doesn't run hard when he walks. There are so few players like this in baseball.

You look at the free agent roster and nobody excites you that can vastly improve the team offensively. That being said they would have to make trades which is a scary thought.

Unfortunately to many so called superstars don't hustle and are dicks in today's game. This is why it is so refreshing to see a guy like Nimmo running down the line when he walks and hustles out of the box for that extra base. The same can be said about McNeil although he doesn't run hard when he walks. There are so few players like this in baseball.

You look at the free agent roster and nobody excites you that can vastly improve the team offensively. That being said they would have to make trades which is a scary thought.
Yes, I agree with you on everything you said...

So, I like the thinking outside of the box and not some retread guy. Thats said, It is strange. I know on the radio and TV, people are high on him and like it, but not really sure what makes the Mets feel that he will be good at it. It will help if he has a lot of Baseball guys under him. He seems like he would be better as President of Baseball operations and then build a team, GM, Scouting dept, Anylitic guy etc.

Odd choice for sure, but I agree with you LW on the outside the box approach. Maybe it means ownership is starting to loosen up the purse strings a bit and will spend some money in 2019. Also agree that he could be an asset when it comes to scouting and analytics.

Odd choice for sure, but I agree with you LW on the outside the box approach. Maybe it means ownership is starting to loosen up the purse strings a bit and will spend some money in 2019. Also agree that he could be an asset when it comes to scouting and analytics.
Thats what I am hoping for. You can be right.

So Mr. Wiggley asked if I would want Harper. Ad is he a Piazza or a Bonilla?
So, Wigs, Tough question, because this is where the Yanks and Mets differ obviously. If the Yanks signed Harper, they can still do a lot more. if the Mets signed Harper, I doubt that they could do anything else. They need a lot more than harper.
But: that being said, if the Mets did open up to pay Harper, It would give them some credibility to try to win at all costs, which that haven't done in a while. I always liked Harper. Plays hard. Home runs and RBI's, but lower average. So, yes, I would want Harper, if this new GM is given a very large budget to try to win.
I think he is somewhere in the middle of Piazza and Bonilla. A lot better than Bonilla. Not as good as Piazza, but remember, Piazza put those numbers up as a catcher, Harper is an Outfielder which is easier to find a good player.
Mets are still searching for a catcher and have not had a good one since Piazza.
Good question Wigs.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
My thought was it makes a statement to the team and the fans that yeah we got this and we want to win.
Banacek and I talked about this and he raised the exact same point you did they need a catcher.
We talked about the good Met teams and they were always strong behind the plate...Grote. Carter...Piazza

My thought, they should definitely try to get him to sign.
He would give met fans a reason to come to the park. Other than your starting pitching.

They already have some decent young guys along with a good clubhouse guy. Todd Frazier.
You get some pen guys. Not david Robinson.

Even in a down avg Year, he walked alot.

It makes too much sense. The wilpons would never do that.

My thought was it makes a statement to the team and the fans that yeah we got this and we want to win.
Banacek and I talked about this and he raised the exact same point you did they need a catcher.
We talked about the good Met teams and they were always strong behind the plate...Grote. Carter...Piazza
And LoDuca. Mets years where they at least clinched the Division include '69 (Grote), '73 (Grote), '86 (Carter), '88 (Carter), '00 (Piazza), '06 (LoDuca), '15 (Plawecki). So every championship season included a well regarded catcher with the exception of '15. Grote, Carter, and LoDuca were great defensive catchers and knew how to handle pitchers. Piazza, while not known for stellar defense, still had some great defensive skills such as pitch framing.
Without a solid catcher for next year, the Mets will not be able to win the division.

And LoDuca. Mets years where they at least clinched the Division include '69 (Grote), '73 (Grote), '86 (Carter), '88 (Carter), '00 (Piazza), '06 (LoDuca), '15 (Plawecki). So every championship season included a well regarded catcher with the exception of '15. Grote, Carter, and LoDuca were great defensive catchers and knew how to handle pitchers. Piazza, while not known for stellar defense, still had some great defensive skills such as pitch framing.
Without a solid catcher for next year, the Mets will not be able to win the division.
Couldnt agree more

Okay met mongers! Being tossed around on WFAN today should the Mets trade Noah Syndergaard to the Cubs for Kris Bryant? I am not a Met fan but I would consider it...your thoughts?
I think its a pretty fair trade for both teams. But with the name of the game, pitching, I cant do it.