2019 Yankees

BIlly - for shame - They can make the playoffs - They can even absurdly make it to the world series. BUT ... They can never win the world series ... because they are the METS! That is a stain. It is inbred in their very being to never win a championship. They try every 15 or 20 years but fail. In 86 the Red Sox LOST that world series. They handed it to the Mets. Another reason why I hate the Red Sox. So I only really count 69 .... but that was 50 years ago. So please never say something like they can win the whole thing or run the table. God would NEVER allow that to happen. Besides ... I would have to crawl under a rock for a year if that were to happen.
I would love for you to crawl under a rock for like a year. LGM

The Yankees had an opportunity to sign him in the off-season, prior to the Braves bidding on his services. Again, he only signed a 1 year deal with the Braves, so it's not like the Yankees had to throw a brink truck at him to sign him.

As for his current performance, bear in mind he didn't have to the advantage of Spring Training this year. I always felt like that impacts pitchers (starters in particular) moreso than position players.
So that would explain getting lit up by the Marlins last night giving up 8 ER and not getting out of the fourth inning in his 10th start of the season.

billyS

Reign of Terror
As for his current performance, bear in mind he didn't have to the advantage of Spring Training this year. I always felt like that impacts pitchers (starters in particular) moreso than position players.
Exactly, so why bother getting him then? You're not getting the 2018 version.

John Candalaria, Rich Dotson, Rick Roden, Britt Burns, Steve (I just won you the pennant) Trout.
And then the real trash
Andy Hawkins, Dave LaRoche, Tim Leary, Scott Sanderson, Mike Witt.
I thought Scott Sanderson pitched pretty well for them. Rick Rhoden wasn't bad either. Terrific golfer after baseball retirement.

The others, not so much.

Who the hell is Britt Burns?

Exactly, so why bother getting him then? You're not getting the 2018 version.
Why not sign him in the off-season so you could shore up your teams biggest weaknesses and have him there for the spring? Unless you believe the front office that they couldn't possibly afford him for 1 year/$16 million.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Why not sign him in the off-season so you could shore up your teams biggest weaknesses and have him there for the spring? Unless you believe the front office that they couldn't possibly afford him for 1 year/$16 million.
He wasn't signing for 1 year 16m in the off season. He was holding out for a long term contact.

Heard an interview with Cashman on one of the radio shows and he said Kuechel never got back to them after the Yankees initial offer. Not even to jack up the Braves offer. He said when something like that happens it means the guy already knew where he wanted to go.
Of course everyone wants to jump on the Yanks and call them cheap but I'll take Cashman's word.
I wouldnt believe what Cashman says, but the last thing anyone should ever call the Yankees, is cheap.
I hate them, but I always say, the reason I respect and admire them is all the money they spend. weather it works or not, weather they overpay, whatever, but maybe they are just trying to be smarter with that money. But I would never call them cheap.

Last offseason, I was hoping the Yanks would resign Dave Robertson, but Philly offered more money and the closer spot. Now I’m glad they didn’t since he’s out for the rest of the year!

Last offseason, I was hoping the Yanks would resign Dave Robertson, but Philly offered more money and the closer spot. Now I’m glad they didn’t since he’s out for the rest of the year!
They didn't even make him an offer. DO you think they knew his elbow was damaged? They had to have known right? Didn't they say they didn't resign him because he was a player rep, or deeply religious, or something and it rubbed some in the locker room the wrong way.

They didn't even make him an offer. DO you think they knew his elbow was damaged? They had to have known right? Didn't they say they didn't resign him because he was a player rep, or deeply religious, or something and it rubbed some in the locker room the wrong way.
He's his own agent. D-Rob was a terrific Yankee and has had a terrific career, but there was no upside with him and signing Ottavino to replace him was brilliant. If they knew about elbow issues, that only made it that much easier to part ways.

There was some clubhouse stuff going on too.
You are correct sir - from the NY Post 01-03-2019

The Yankees had remained in contact with Robertson this offseason but may have been agitated by an off-field matter.

As The Post’s George A. King III reported, Robertson chaired a team meeting last season in which it was decided that several coaches and support staffers would receive half or no shares of the Yankees’ postseason money. Among those slighted were assistant hitting coach P.J. Pilittere and Zac Fieroh, an analyst for the major league coaching staff.

That is a real scumbag move in my eyes. The players make tons of money and the playoff money for support people is IMMENSE! Screw him. On the outside he does charitable stuff but then he fucks the little guy when nobody is looking. fuck him.