What's Your Poison?

Mostly a single malt drinker favoring Oban and Glanfarclas and cask strengths as a group. Although not a fan of Craggamore, in general, but the Craggamore Distiller's Edition is quite good.

Also enjoy rums, Havana Club 7 is my usual.

Starting drinking absinthe recently. Tried a couple of different ones and have settled on Jade. It's swiss. A bit expensive too. But after you move paste the anise flavor there are many more sublte flavors involved.

Also a bit different getting "drunk" on it. Jade has some blends from 68% to 74% alcohol. But it is not overpowering. I tend to go 4:1 no sugar.

It is not the sloppy drunk as with other potent potables. A bit cleaner, drisper head. Almost like being high on alcohol. You're still not going to operate heavy machinery or do long division but it's not the same.

I tend to gravitate toward colored alcohol. The only clear alcohol I usually drink is vodka (Grey Goose mostly).

Small sample of what is in my "bar":

Scotches
Lagavulin 16-years
Laphroaig 10-years Cask Strength
Bruichladdich 14-years
Yamazaki 18-years
Macallan 15-years

Bourbons
Eagle Rare 101 proof
Pure Kentucky
Black Maple Hill
I.W. Harper 12-years
Rittenhouse Rye 12-years (it's a rye not bourbon)

Last edited:
OBAN ON THE ROCKS....MMMMMMMMMMM good

I am not trying to tell you how you should drink your drinks, but a good scotch should be drank neat. The ice dillutes the scotch. Some people say add just a drop of water in it to bring out the aroma of the scotch, I have done that and its BS, to me anyway. Drink it neat.

Your right, but I still like it on the rocks.
an alt theory is the "right" way is the way you like it best.
so, If you like a Big California Cab with wild salmon, break the rule and go for it.

I am not trying to tell you how you should drink your drinks, but a good scotch should be drank neat. The ice dillutes the scotch. Some people say add just a drop of water in it to bring out the aroma of the scotch, I have done that and its BS, to me anyway. Drink it neat.
IMHO, there is no should. Its however you like it.

I pretty much stick with Corona Extra and Guiness. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

When I drink hard liquor, its usually a shot or two of tequila. No particular brand, just something from the top shelf.

IMHO, there is no should. Its however you like it.
I am afraid I disagree with you there. Of course you can do what ever you want, but it doesn't make it right. You can order white wine with steak, but they are not going to compliament one another. You are going to spoik the taste of the wine and the steak. You could order red with fish and have the same experience. You are defeating the purpose of having a good scotch (the taste) by adding ice or water because you are diluting the flavor.

Would you allow someone to pour pepsi into a glass of JW Blue for a scotch and soda?

I don't believe in following rules when it comes to most things, including food and wine. If someone likes things prepared/served a certain way, then thats right for them.

Why is a scotch and soda "right"? After all, the soda is diluting the flavor of the scotch, no?

I don't believe in following rules when it comes to most things, including food and wine. If someone likes things prepared/served a certain way, then thats right for them.

Why is a scotch and soda "right"? After all, the soda is diluting the flavor of the scotch, no?

Because its fine to ruin a cheap scotch by mxing it with soda. Most people mix cheap scotch BECAUSE they don't like the flavor of the scotch and add soda.

It would be sacrilegious to put soda in a JW blue or Gold, even a good single malt because you are drinking them for their taste. Adding soda, water dilutes its taste.

Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood your original post. When you said a good scotch, I understood it to mean "the proper way", not top shelf.

I stand by my statement about not following the rules though. Of course common sense should prevail and your right. Why dilute high end scotch with water (ice)?

Last edited:
I like Blue and ice too...
I dont like my scotch warm so sometimes I put it in the freezer if I dont want to water it down.
Im suprised the neat scotch guys drink Blue after all, it is still a blend.
Now, Im sure someone is going to tell me what fine 60 year old single malt is used in the Blue blend, I know its good scotch, its just not as good as a really fine old single malt.

Let me put it another way...
Its the Rolex Presidential of the Scotch world.

Last edited:
I like my Scotch with lots of Ice But ... did you say you put Johnny Blue in the Freezer?????

wtf ???? Vodka yes there is always a bottle in there but Scotch??? That's ....... Just wrong

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
I imagine the best temperature for scotch whisky is probably around 55 to 60 degrees - same as red wine. While I wouldn't want it chilled, I have noticed that it's better for the nose to tame a bit of the alcohol evaporation. Unfortunately, most bars will serve it at ambient temperature which can be as high as 75. I don't really blame them, I suppose, as I'm not willing to go through the work of getting the optimal temperature at home.

I really do need a wine fridge...

I imagine the best temperature for scotch whisky is probably around 55 to 60 degrees - same as red wine. While I wouldn't want it chilled, I have noticed that it's better for the nose to tame a bit of the alcohol evaporation. Unfortunately, most bars will serve it at ambient temperature which can be as high as 75. I don't really blame them, I suppose, as I'm not willing to go through the work of getting the optimal temperature at home.

I really do need a wine fridge...
You can get small ones pretty cheap that hold 10-15 bottles. That is all you really need.