What's Your Poison?

gavycrav said:
I bounce around. I like my vodka on the rocks or with a little splash of seltzer. My vodka of choice is Stoli Gold. This is if I am in the mood to drink slow and enjoy the night...

I was never a big whiskey drinker...I got polluted at a Place called Tres Coronas one night back in December of 2002 on Jameson's and still shy away from it. I have had Johnny Walker Blue at this lounge on 79th and 37th in Jackson Hts recently. The girl set me and my friend up with two shots a piece for free. I detected the difference...but I am still not a whiskey drinker.

I'll stick to a few beers and shots. If I am on the prowl (you guys know the joints I hang in), I'll switch between Negra Modelo, Modelo or, yikes, Coors Light. I'll also throw back a few shots of Jaggermeister to make me "look like a real man".

Now, Spawn, you can definitely find me at one of the joints we both frequent in Astoria!

Later,
Gavy
Hey Gavy....about ten years ago, they used to have a bar outside of Elmhurst Hospital called 'Macambo' do you know what is it called now? I used to hang out there with my friends, was a great place! :) :)

Jack Daniel's for me, and the stuff I hate to admit I like? Yukon Jack. I like it just with seltzer and a little lime. Actually I don't recommend it, because with the high sugar content the hangovers it generates are awesome.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
MegaSquirt said:
Hey Gavy....about ten years ago, they used to have a bar outside of Elmhurst Hospital called 'Macambo' do you know what is it called now? I used to hang out there with my friends, was a great place! :) :)
Macambo? Well, just step into my office :) ! That was the place right between Hampton and Ithaca on Baxter. My friend Beto, now working at Blue Lounge on Roosevelt (used to be Capitolio), was the manager there. I ONLY know him as the manager of these places, nothing else ;) .

I was a kid when I'd run into that joint. After I hooked up with this girl at Ilda's in the late 90s, I kind of stopped hanging in the bars in the area. Too close to home. But, yeah, Macambo, that was a fun place.

It is vacant right now. You'd walk right past it today if you weren't looking for it. I definitely believe that with the glut of all those bars over there and they all do business...I think someone could run a joint right there and do well. There is so much traffic Thursday through Sunday; four nights is all you need.

See you on the scene,
Gavy

I like my liquor clear and my women dark....

So, I tend to drink Vodka. I prefer Kettle One over Goose and Skyy. Not a big fan of Stoli either.

I will check out this '3' stuff and let you know!

Bigd18 said:
Jack Daniels Single barrel is good from time to time, If you can afford it Johnnie Walker Blue is nice for special occasions.I'm a vodka drinker as well, so that's my poison of choice.

Johnny walker Gold is a good substitute for the Blue when the funds cannot afford Blue. Their green label is excellent too and priced right. I am a scotch drinker mostly.

Dvaenport

No Alternative
Spawn

There are a lot of good VODKA around. Which I'm sure you already know. Every one that you named plus BELVEDERE if you like that rye taste, PRAVDA in the jeweled bottle and the cheaper FINLANDIA which is just as smoothe as ABSOLUT. I am a big VODKA consumer!

-Dport

I recently came into a bottle of absynthe. I was excited to try it. But you know what? If it weren't illegal, I don't think it would be a big deal. It's really just a more flavorful pastis. The "louche" looks cool, when you pour ice water into it and it clouds up. But it just didn't live up to its legend.

Also, it gives you a really weird hangover.

PS -- I personally think vodka is for people who are afraid of anything with any flavor.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Daddycool said:
Johnny walker Gold is a good substitute for the Blue when the funds cannot afford Blue. Their green label is excellent too and priced right. I am a scotch drinker mostly.
I have only seen Green Label in the duty free shops at JFK and other international airports. I am heading to Mexico next month, so I will purchase a 2 bottles, one for dad and one for me. I'm looking forward to it!

Have a great night,
Gavy

Virgin Atlantic transAtlantic was pushing "authentic" absinthe in their duty-free mag this month. Was tempted to try it. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Was it "druggy" in any way other than the normal alcohol buzz?

justlooking said:
PS -- I personally think vodka is for people who are afraid of anything with any flavor.

That's where you are very wrong, You can add Vodka to anything and it will fly. So you can add all the flavor you want and your good to go.

Besides No hangover with Vodka

OK....

1...Vodka...Stoli Gold is very very good...but you HAVE to try Tanquery Stirling vodka....even better than the famous Grey Goose, and it's priced less....only the larger stores will have it, but believe me, once you sample it, you'll never drink any other vodka....of course keep it cold, then serve on the rocks.

2...Bourbon....I think that Knob Creek is hard to beat....but a very good single barrel is offered by Evan Williams....this is very smooth with good full taste, and surprisingly cheap...about $20 for a 750 ML bottle....BUT is is hard to find in the NY metro area.

3...Scotch....well, the list could go on and on and on....JW Black is a very good blended scotch for the money.
Single malts are very different and PRICEY....this why I stopped drinking scotch after consuming it for more than 30 years....to expensive.....Lagavulin is one of the very best Islay single malts on the market IF....you can even find it.

Straight ahead,
Capy

Finally dipped into that bottle

Spawn I finally tried the 3 vodka that I bought on your review
You are correct it is very smooth I had a few glasses today with a nice cigar.

Thanks

capitan said:
OK....

of course keep it cold, then serve on the rocks.

Straight ahead,
Capy
The keeping it cold is correct, but I should add that you shouldn't add ice to any good vodka. When the ice melts it dilutes the vodka. This is especially true with scotchs, blended or single malts. The last you want to do is add ice and dilute the taste.

jras said:
Virgin Atlantic transAtlantic was pushing "authentic" absinthe in their duty-free mag this month. Was tempted to try it. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Was it "druggy" in any way other than the normal alcohol buzz?
Not really, although I've never had more than a glass at a time. (The reason being the dull but annoying headache you -- or at least I -- get the following morning, which is REALLY unpleasant.)