What's Your Poison?

It makes sense that Virgin Atlantic would offer it, since it turns out that absinthe is legal in the UK. That's how I got it: I ordered it from a UK supplier. The only risk is its not getting through customs -- although I understand that no small absinthe shipment has ever been seized (at least in recent times).

Bigd18 said:
That's where you are very wrong, You can add Vodka to anything and it will fly. So you can add all the flavor you want and your good to go.

Besides No hangover with Vodka

But that's my point. Vodka doesn't add any flavor. It just makes other things that already have a flavor give you a buzz. I'd just as soon leave it out then. I don't mind drinking fruit punch, say, and not getting drunk on it. I, personally, see the buzz as a kind of bonus. Mainly I care about flavor. So to me, the vodka is mainly a waste.

(This doesn't apply, of course, to infused vodkas like they have at, say, the Russian Samovar in the West Fifties. Those are fucking delicious.)

I like vodka for the simple reason I can drink alot of it and still able to function. I enjoy a vodka Martini and mixed with 7 up.

Again no hangover and easy to get off your breath.

for Flavor --Hard stuff bourbons, scotch's , etc.

""""""""""""--Milder stuff Red wines, Merlot's or Cabernet's

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for bringing up wines, BigD. I have been drinking chianti for the last few years. Try looking for 1998 or 2000, Classico Riserva. Fantastic!

Gavy

Daddycool said:
The keeping it cold is correct, but I should add that you shouldn't add ice to any good vodka. When the ice melts it dilutes the vodka. This is especially true with scotchs, blended or single malts. The last you want to do is add ice and dilute the taste.
Regarding ice and whiskey. Agree on that. The interesting thing, however, is that master distillers recommend a small amount of water be added. They are talking drops. The water opens up the whiskey.

I have tried that but did not find any difference - maybe from too many years of smoking.

redleg609 said:
Regarding ice and whiskey. Agree on that. The interesting thing, however, is that master distillers recommend a small amount of water be added. They are talking drops. The water opens up the whiskey.

I have tried that but did not find any difference - maybe from too many years of smoking.
I have heard that too. I have tried it and could not tell the difference in the taste. I have added an icecube before I knew better and it did change the taste.

Of course, I don't mean to imply that adding ice to any good vodka, scotch, or bourbon is a GOOD thing to do....it ALL depends on how fast it will be consumed.

If you can drink a double of you favorite spirits in less than 5 to 10 minutes, then, the ice will have almost no effect on "watering down" your drink.

A serious drinker can put down a double in under a minute.

Straight ahead,
Capy

justlooking said:
It's really just a more flavorful pastis. The "louche" looks cool, when you pour ice water into it and it clouds up. But it just didn't live up to its legend.

Also, it gives you a really weird hangover.

PS -- I personally think vodka is for people who are afraid of anything with any flavor.

If I am going to go down the star anise based aperitif road I actually prefer a good quality ouzo to the French pastis or Turkish raki [I think, in Syria they make a similar drink and its called "aarak". You can find variations all around the Mediterranean.] I've tried a bunch of them many moons ago. I use to have a very good local liqour store that did a high end business in imported liquores and wines. No more though, I am sorry to say.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Thorn said:
If I am going to go down the star anise based aperitif road I actually prefer a good quality ouzo to the French pastis or Turkish raki ...
I guess that this includes the "agaurdientes" of Colombia, as well. I have never enjoyed the anise taste (from those hideous Italian cookies family would bring to our house around the holidays...ugh...to hanging out at hardcore Colombian after hours joints in JH).

Personally, I really can't taste the difference. I notice that Colombians drink regionally. Those from Medellin tend to drink "Antioqueño"; "Crystal" is consumed by those from Manizales and Bogota; "Blanco" is another one, but I haven't really seen it downed by too many of my Colombian freinds...

Just my 2 ¢,
Gavy

gavycrav said:
I guess that this includes the "agaurdientes" of Colombia, as well. I have never enjoyed the anise taste (from those hideous Italian cookies family would bring to our house around the holidays...ugh...to hanging out at hardcore Colombian after hours joints in JH).

Personally, I really can't taste the difference. I notice that Colombians drink regionally. Those from Medellin tend to drink "Antioqueño"; "Crystal" is consumed by those from Manizales and Bogota; "Blanco" is another one, but I haven't really seen it downed by too many of my Colombian freinds...

Just my 2 ¢,
Gavy
I understand. It is an acquired taste.

When I was playing at being a sophisticate [which I failed at miserably, I am sure] I went though a period where I was trying all sorts of these sorts of things on myself, dinner party guests, etc.

Believe it or not the only thing I still partake in is a good chilled vodka [stored in freezer] from time to time, the occassional Jack Daniels [I prefer green label but black is fine] and a little "43" over vanilla ice cream once in awhile.

I use to put it away with the best of them, and I still have a high tolerance for alcohol, but I just don't have the desire anymore. I have always supposed that, eventually, the same thing will happen regarding my whoring activities.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Thorn said:
Believe it or not the only thing I still partake in is a good chilled vodka [stored in freezer] from time to time, the occassional Jack Daniels [I prefer green label but black is fine] and a little "43" over vanilla ice cream once in awhile.
That's interesting that you mention "43". When I am at my favorite restaurant in Litle Italy, Da Nico, I usually choose "43" or "Remy". I have heard of people having it with vanilla ice cream as well. Sounds good. Maybe next time I am at Da Nico, I'll have it served that way. Thanks for the tip.

Gavy

I finally tried some Jim Beam Black, My neighbor came over yesterday with some and broke the seal, had a couple glasses over a little ice, very smooth , so I had to pick up a bottle today, will be breaking into some in about 15 min, after I open the pool and get a cigar.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Was at a BBQ last night at my boy's house in Manhasset. Nice digs. Wanted to pick up some beers before I went over, but couldn't find a 7-11, beer distributor, etc. Drove all the way into Glen Cove and went into an A&P (right before the main drag running northinto Glen Cove).

I have been drinking Negro Modelo (dark Mexican beer) on and off this summer. I saw it's counterpart, Modelo Especial. This was a very nice, subtle beer. I have had it before and wonder why bars don't switch to this over Corona.

Gavy

By the way, that A & P was loaded with some hot Latinas (mostly Central American, I gather). Might have to do my shopping 10 miles away from the house now ;) !

Last year while in Brazil an american ex-patriot friend of mine turned me on to Italian Grappa.. I had never even heard of the stuff.. and immedtely loved it. What a way to start the night! Smooth and strong.. toss a few back and let the festivities begin. Reminded me of Everclear in terms of effect but without the killer stomach burn and the blindness!

Usually I stick to Vodka though as it produces a nice happy buzz and doesn't make me angry (like many other types of alcohol tend to do). The hangover (which I always avoid) is livable with good vodka too.

For mixing I like a spalsh of cranberry with some Finlandia or some Sobe Adrenaline Rush is a decent mixer too even with Absolut - the speed-ball for alcoholics. :) Red Bull is too much like drinking cough syrup to me, so I don't go that route. But, with Sobe, the same effect and a better taste is nice.