Fast Food Favs - past and present

Back in the 90’s , If you wanted to eat really good and you were on a tight budget, the Sizzler was awesome. For 10-12 bucks you could get a full steak dinner. An extra $5 got you shrimp scampi that was ok. And for an extra $3 you could invade their salad bar all night. Frozen yogurt, all toppings. Corn nuggets , chicken nuggets, chocolate pudding, Cesar Salad, mixed greens , shredded cheese , croutons, all most every salad dressing. Unlimited fountain drinks. Sesame seeds, cubed ham etc…. Used to go to the one right across from the Sunrise Mall.

It was truly amazing how they stayed in business for so long……
Loved Sizzler I would just get the salad bar...great selection. Even had tacos!

Back in the 90’s , If you wanted to eat really good and you were on a tight budget, the Sizzler was awesome. For 10-12 bucks you could get a full steak dinner. An extra $5 got you shrimp scampi that was ok. And for an extra $3 you could invade their salad bar all night. Frozen yogurt, all toppings. Corn nuggets , chicken nuggets, chocolate pudding, Cesar Salad, mixed greens , shredded cheese , croutons, all most every salad dressing. Unlimited fountain drinks. Sesame seeds, cubed ham etc…. Used to go to the one right across from the Sunrise Mall.

Didn’t Cookies steak house operate similarly—?? Now that was a great meal—

Didn’t Cookies steak house operate similarly—?? Now that was a great meal—
I don’t remember Cookies. But old school Pizza Hut Restaurants were very similar to The sizzler. Except you were buying enough pizza for everyone. A very similar salad bar. Except with dessert style pizzas (raspberry pineapple and cinnamon roll strudel ) Same chocolate pudding, salad choices, pitchers of Fresh brewed Iced Tea , The bread sticks were actually really good when they first came out with them.

After splitting the bill with friends , it only came to 12-14 bucks per person.

Unlike The Sizzler, Pizza Hut smartened up and closed almost all of those awesome locations. Including the one I grew up near on Rte 110 and Main st in Farmingdale. Now they’re mainly take out and delivery. With just one or 2 restaurants remaining.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I don’t remember Cookies. But old school Pizza Hut Restaurants were very similar to The sizzler. Except you were buying enough pizza for everyone. A very similar salad bar. Except with dessert style pizzas (raspberry pineapple and cinnamon roll strudel ) Same chocolate pudding, salad choices, pitchers of Fresh brewed Iced Tea , The bread sticks were actually really good when they first came out with them.

Unlike The Sizzler, Pizza Hut smartened up and closed almost all of those awesome locations. Including the one I grew up near on Rte 110 and Main st in Farmingdale. Now they’re mainly take out and delivery. With just one or 2 restaurants remaining.
I remember going to the Pizza hut in Carle Place was one our go to's in College for a cheap but filling lunch. They had good pasta & pizza combos and pitchers of beer

Speaking of cheap but good lunches in college, Herbs Depot on Hempstead turnpike.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Thoughts on All American Burger in Massapequa — I know some who rave about the place, the lines are always long..I’ve had it.. nothing special imo
I think their main advantage over the franchise places is that they are always fresh.
Their burgers don't match up to the gourmet places like Burgeroligy. But they are fresh and tasty.

Thoughts on All American Burger in Massapequa — I know some who rave about the place, the lines are always long..I’ve had it.. nothing special imo
I love All American…… for its atmosphere. The food is good. The food is fresh. But it’s no frills. Beef Dogs on a Bun. Fresh hockey puck patty on a bun with ketchup pickles and cheese. It’s like having really good school lunch food.

What sells the place is it’s throw back 50’s look.

There are 4 tropical jerks that I know of. Baldwin, Hempstead and the two in Uniondale. Yes, as stated your asshole will burn from pissing out your ass for days.

These are fast food places I remember from my youth.
I remember WETSON'S on Old Country Road in Hicksville.
They had great shakes, fries and burgers. It became a record store, but I don't know what it is now.

Continuing east on Old Country rd., JACK IN THE BOX in Plainview. I think it is a bank now.
Open 24 hours. Taco Tuesday's. Fries, Onion rings or Frings (half fries & half onion rings).
Drive thru Talking into the clown.

Also Continuing east on Old Country rd, Bic's (really good food, thick shakes) in Plainview.
Bic's closed and became HARDEE'S. Decent burgers from what I remember.

These are fast food places I remember from my youth.
I remember WETSON'S on Old Country Road in Hicksville.
They had great shakes, fries and burgers. It became a record store, but I don't know what it is now.

Continuing east on Old Country rd., JACK IN THE BOX in Plainview. I think it is a bank now.
Open 24 hours. Taco Tuesday's. Fries, Onion rings or Frings (half fries & half onion rings).
Drive thru Talking into the clown.

Also Continuing east on Old Country rd, Bic's (really good food, thick shakes) in Plainview.
Bic's closed and became HARDEE'S. Decent burgers from what I remember.
Wetsons ! Blast from the past- yep- the burgers and fries they were the best - can’t imagine they were the healthiest…

For those who were on a budget and wanted good breakfast food. Who remembers Friendly’s 3 for $3 and 4 for $4 deals? 2 eggs hash browns and toast for $3 . Add bacon , ham or sausage for an extra $1. And you could exchange the toast for pancakes for an extra dollar. You could feast in there for $5 . It’s laughable when you look at today’s prices.

30 years ago White Castle, 4 pack of cheeseburgers, onion rings, top each burger with an onion ring. The warm bun, melty cheese, little ketchup, Delish! These days its inedible, not sure its even beef. Last two times I had it (5 years ago or more) I was sick for days.

If I roll dirty these days I keep it simple and nostalgic, McDonalds Double Cheeseburger with Mac Sauce, no ketchup and a 4 piece chicken nugget.
I just went for White Castle yesterday. I’ll keep you posted

Like TADs steaks in city. Volume was the key. Early 90s Greenfields got me hooked on skirt steak and rabbit

billyS

Reign of Terror

Ponderosa was similar. In fact way back then we had some young cousins staying with us for a while and we could get away with ordering the diner for the two adults with the salad bar and let the four kids eat exclusively from the salad bar.
They just looked the other way.

Did that at the Sizzler also.

I think they both went out of business around the same time in my area.

Neither was ever very crowded, which is why I don't think they cared what we were doing.

Ponderosa was similar. In fact way back then we had some young cousins staying with us for a while and we could get away with ordering the diner for the two adults with the salad bar and let the four kids eat exclusively from the salad bar.
They just looked the other way.

Did that at the Sizzler also.

I think they both went out of business around the same time in my area.

Neither was ever very crowded, which is why I don't think they cared what we were doing.
Quote w/o comment:

"we could get away with ordering the diner for the two adults with the salad bar and let the four kids eat exclusively from the salad bar.
They just looked the other way."

And

"I think they both went out of business around the same time"

billyS

Reign of Terror
Quote w/o comment:

"we could get away with ordering the diner for the two adults with the salad bar and let the four kids eat exclusively from the salad bar.
They just looked the other way."

And

"I think they both went out of business around the same time"
After I typed that out I figured someone might make the connection :p

Kinda why I added that last sentence, they were already on the outs by the time they let us do that.
They were just happy to have people in the building.
Both places were falling apart, rips in the cushions of the booths, stuff like that.

They weren't putting any money into either one.

Also the kids were like six and under, two of them I believe we're 3 and under.