2019 Yankees

If Chris Davis attacked the strike zone like he did his manager he could be a .220 hitter
What a terrible contract, I thought the Yankees only gave those out. Guy is a bust!!

I read recently that the Yankees have had 25 players land on the injured list, serving 32 stints. Is there another team that could handle that kind of injury accumulation and still stand in first place, through early August?

It speaks to their depth, both at major league level and their farm system, and how crafty Cashman has been in assembling both these past few years.

My posts may come across as glass half full, which despite their winning against all odds, I still am somewhat in regards to their postseason hopes. Their starting pitching is not championship caliber in my opinion. Maybe that changes between now and October.

It's just frustrating that the front office seems to be in the Win Now mode but skimped on getting better starting pitching for the season. I hope my pessimistic view turns out to be wrong and the Yankees get at least one championship within this decade.

It's just frustrating that the front office seems to be in the Win Now mode but skimped on getting better starting pitching for the season. I hope my pessimistic view turns out to be wrong and the Yankees get at least one championship within this decade.
Can you fault Cashman for not signing Patrick Corbin to a six year deal? Perhaps. I for one was disappointed. They certainly have been gun shy about signing elite free agent pitching to long term deals this decade. Their last one was Tanaka.

They did greatly improve their starting pitching for 2019 with the acquisition of Paxton and Happ signing. They both have under performed. Not to mention the FA signings of Ottovino & Britton. These off season moves made the Yankees the favorites to win the world series.

As for mid season, there were no legitimate opportunities to add an elite pitcher at trade deadline.

BIlly - for shame - They can make the playoffs - They can even absurdly make it to the world series. BUT ... They can never win the world series ... because they are the METS! That is a stain. It is inbred in their very being to never win a championship. They try every 15 or 20 years but fail. In 86 the Red Sox LOST that world series. They handed it to the Mets. Another reason why I hate the Red Sox. So I only really count 69 .... but that was 50 years ago. So please never say something like they can win the whole thing or run the table. God would NEVER allow that to happen. Besides ... I would have to crawl under a rock for a year if that were to happen.

Good thing they didn't sign Keuchel. He is stinking up the joint! This offseason they have to go all out for Cole. They should also look to get another Ace. Then next year they can got to war with Cole, Severino, German, Tanaka and one other ACE they get through trade. They ahve a surplus of talent to deal from. They can do it.

Good thing they didn't sign Keuchel. He is stinking up the joint! This offseason they have to go all out for Cole. They should also look to get another Ace. Then next year they can got to war with Cole, Severino, German, Tanaka and one other ACE they get through trade. They ahve a surplus of talent to deal from. They can do it.
Without a doubt Cole is top priority. You did not mention Paxton and Happ, so that would give them six starters. Hopefully Jordan Montgomery and some of the prospects will compete in spring training as well.

Dallas Keuchel was available. A guy who has won the Cy Young award and has playoff experience was available in FA and the Yankees totally passed on him. They could have had him to a one year deal if they weren't sold on long term. He signed for $13M with ATL and the Yankees are $17M under the luxury tax.

Speaking of, with the team so close to being championship level (losing in the ALCS last year), now is the time you go all out to win. The Yankees are worth billions of dollars, draw well over 3 million people to their ballpark every year, make beaucoup bucks from merchandising, and yet they will sacrifice making the team better because of a luxury tax that they are more than capable of paying.

Make no mistake, the Yankees could afford to sign whoever they wanted.

Dallas Keuchel was available. A guy who has won the Cy Young award and has playoff experience was available in FA and the Yankees totally passed on him. They could have had him to a one year deal if they weren't sold on long term. He signed for $13M with ATL and the Yankees are $17M under the luxury tax.

Speaking of, with the team so close to being championship level (losing in the ALCS last year), now is the time you go all out to win. The Yankees are worth billions of dollars, draw well over 3 million people to their ballpark every year, make beaucoup bucks from merchandising, and yet they will sacrifice making the team better because of a luxury tax that they are more than capable of paying.

They aren't under the cap

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my take on everything

Keuchel is no big loss, we have one of those types and he is Happ. Not too mention Keuchel got bombed last night.

Corbin stung a bit, I would have offered 5 years and more money. I don't buy into they couldn't have afforded DJ or Ott. They're the Yankees they can buy ANYTHING they want. That was just fluff to make it seem "OK" they didn't land Corbin.

They better hand the checkbook to Cole next year. He spurned them coming out of college, so he MUST be signed. Strasburg can opt out of his current deal and become a FA next year. So imagine those 2 in the rotation, just saying.

Tanaka is a free agent after next season and I doubt he will be retained, if he is it will be for a discount.

Did anyone see Tauchman's 9th inning at bat last night. I mention it because it was really remarkable in a sense that he has really adjusted at the plate. He adjusted to the pitch he hit into RF. He literally stopped his swing half way through because he recognized it was off speed and poked it to the opposite field. Which he has been doing a lot lately. Just one of those things you notice. He is obviously seeing the ball really well.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Dallas Keuchel was available. A guy who has won the Cy Young award and has playoff experience was available inb FA and the Yankees totally passed on him. They could have had him to a one year deal if they weren't sold on long term. He signed for $13M with ATL and the Yankees are $17M under the luxury tax.

Heard an interview with Cashman on one of the radio shows and he said Kuechel never got back to them after the Yankees initial offer. Not even to jack up the Braves offer. He said when something like that happens it means the guy already knew where he wanted to go.
Of course everyone wants to jump on the Yanks and call them cheap but I'll take Cashman's word.
Also Kuechel was a Cy Young a few years ago and hasn't been the same since. He is not an Ace anymore.
Back in the 80's Steinbrenner had a habit of grabbing guys who had been All-Stars or MVP's but were a few years past their peak. Don Baylor, Ken Griffey Sr, Roy Smalley, Toby Harrah to name a few. You wind up with a high priced third place team.

Baylor was actually very good with the Yankees. Smalley not so bad ... but I get your point - I think he made lots more mistkes on the pitching. Every pitcher in the 80's except for Tommy John and Ron GUidry were disappointments.

Heard an interview with Cashman on one of the radio shows and he said Kuechel never got back to them after the Yankees initial offer. Not even to jack up the Braves offer. He said when something like that happens it means the guy already knew where he wanted to go.
Of course everyone wants to jump on the Yanks and call them cheap but I'll take Cashman's word.
Also Kuechel was a Cy Young a few years ago and hasn't been the same since. He is not an Ace anymore.
Back in the 80's Steinbrenner had a habit of grabbing guys who had been All-Stars or MVP's but were a few years past their peak. Don Baylor, Ken Griffey Sr, Roy Smalley, Toby Harrah to name a few. You wind up with a high priced third place team.
Kevin brown, black jack McDowell. Also the big unit.
Its a very big list.
They sucked for a long time because of that.

Philly spent alot of money in the off season. They are in fourth.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Baylor was actually very good with the Yankees. Smalley not so bad ... but I get your point - I think he made lots more mistkes on the pitching. Every pitcher in the 80's except for Tommy John and Ron GUidry were disappointments.
John Candalaria, Rich Dotson, Rick Roden, Britt Burns, Steve (I just won you the pennant) Trout.
And then the real trash
Andy Hawkins, Dave LaRoche, Tim Leary, Scott Sanderson, Mike Witt.

They aren't under the cap
I stand corrected, I was under the incorrect impression they were under the luxury tax, perhaps because of how much lip service the front office has devoted since October to the importance and goal of Staying Under The Luxury Tax. DJ put them over, but they're only in the first tier, ie paying the least amount for being over the tax.

The Yankees had an opportunity to sign him in the off-season, prior to the Braves bidding on his services. Again, he only signed a 1 year deal with the Braves, so it's not like the Yankees had to throw a brink truck at him to sign him. They decided to wait until June to have this negotiation with Keuchel or whenever the time to not have to compensate Houston with draft picks expired, and that was their decision and their decision alone. For a team with $620M in revenue, they certainly make some interesting decisions with their checkbook (especially as team salary as a percentage of team revenue has declined throughout the decade.

As for Keuchel's performance, he was a Cy Young in 2015, an All Star with great numbers in 2017, and had a subpar (but not bad) season last year. In fact, I would gladly take his 2018 season to any of the Yankees starters this season. Are any of them even close to his 3.74 ERA last season?

As for his current performance, bear in mind he didn't have to the advantage of Spring Training this year. I always felt like that impacts pitchers (starters in particular) moreso than position players.