Editing posts

Try this then... Change the aetting tfrom original on page 1 newest on last page to the newest first page and see if you still have the edit function
I tried but cant find option to change it
Not that I think it'll make any kind of difference, but I changed the thread view to newest first prior to this post. Edit: and I can still edit it.

Yeah, I changed it to oldest first and it didn't make a difference. I think The Exiled may be right as to the reason. Waiting for my new handle to be approved so I can try it out.

That's what I would like to be able to do, also. And to delete duplicate posts, like the one I just did in another thread. Wasn't looking to do anything nefarious.

The edit situation burns my ass for several reasons:
1. I don't like mysteries and seriously would like to understand the reason behind the difference between those who can and those who can't edit.
2. I especially don't like being in the latter class.
3. I would really like to be able to edit.
4. I definitely don't appreciate that veteran members aren't able to access a function that newer members can, no offense to the newer guys here. You would think that it would be the opposite in that the older guys should be grandfathered in to have the same capabilities they had under the old software.

Once this post is approved, you will be able to see that I, as a new member, can edit accounts.

Here is edit #1. I proved what none of my ace reporters could in that new accounts can edit, but those that were created before the software update do not have this privilege, if you want to term it that.

Credit for the reason goes to The Exiled for first proposing that theory on here. You are hereby awarded Superman's Cub Reporter buddy status.

Here is edit #2. I typed the word "Cup" instead of "Cub," so I went back and corrected it.

Here is edit #3. This is The Exiled's quote, "Mark my words. It has to do with whether you joined before or after the software upgrade." Your words have been marked here with the utmost honor I can bestow upon you.

Last edited:
Here is edit #3. This is The Exiled's quote, "Mark my words. It has to do with whether you joined before or after the software upgrade." Your words have been marked here with the utmost honor I can bestow upon you.
Actually, I was the first. Post # 20 "A forum/software upgrade is mentioned... maybe only newer members that joined post upgrade can see the option?", to his #46 :p

Actually, I was the first. Post # 20 "A forum/software upgrade is mentioned... maybe only newer members that joined post upgrade can see the option?", to his #46 :p
YES, YOU ARE EVEN MORE CORRECT.
I wholeheartedly apologize for that slight. In my defense, that post contained a multitude of information and I totally overlooked that aspect at the time. In hindsight, you were entirely on track, including the tidbit about the timing of the editing option, too.
You, too, get the Superman best buddy award.

(I gave you one with the Bat Signal as a special mark of distinction.)

What teamwork here. Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help find the solution.
This is a great community. Screw those other boards. UG rocks!
Special thanks to sonryu and The Exiled for their adept analysis.
Most special thanks to Slinky for jumping on this right away and installing a fix for us vets.

A couple of additional notes for veteran members (those who joined before the software update):
A warning comes on that clearly states that you only had two minutes to edit. This appears to differ from what newer members like sonryu were able to do, based on his posts.
Also, there is no notation on the right side that a post has been edited. This also appears to differ from what newer members like sonryu showed when they posted.

So, it appears that there are differences in editing between vets and newbies. On the other hand, it could just be that edits will operate like that for everyone now that the software has been tweaked. But, bottom line, at least we all have privileges now.

Lastly, my apologies to Danny Partridge for questioning his edited post. It appears that he really did edit that post.

It should be fixed now (although probably not tixed the way you might want)
It's fixed fine, as far as I'm concerned, in that it allows one to correct typos, which was my main concern.
And you are correct about the two-minute window of opportunity, according to the warning message that appeared when I attempted to edit later than that.
So, thanks for all your help here.

FYI:

I believe I joined UG in March of 2015. I edited, my last few posts, on my smart phone. I didn't think I could make edits, at all. I remember some members pleading to have their posts edited by the mods.

The question I have now is, how long do I have to make an edit, before I get locked out?

Is it when I log out? Is it time sensitive?

I don't remember seeing any rule on this.

Thanks, Garvey