Editing posts

Garvey, as far as the time frame to make edits, this is what I have seen.
Looking at sonryu's posts in this thread, I saw one with six minutes between the initial post and edit and another with nine minutes.
However, when I attempted to edit a post after several minutes had passed, I was denied and a message came up that said you only have two minutes.
So, as I said a few posts ago, it appears that there are differences in editing between vets and newbies. On the other hand, it could just be that edits will operate like that for everyone now that the software has been tweaked.

Denied edit privileges when time changed from 4 minutes to 5 minutes. So (for me anyway) magic time to edit is up to 5 minutes.

Garvey, FYI you joined on March 6, 2015. Click on your name ( in the left column where the icon box is) and you get some info about your status on UG.

You need to select the BB editor in order to edit posts
What's a BB editor? Bulletin Board, maybe? Where is it?
Only reference to editing posts that I saw under user settings was this one: "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages" under options in the browser preferences.

What's a BB editor? Bulletin Board, maybe? Where is it?
Only reference to editing posts that I saw under user settings was this one: "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages" under options in the browser preferences.
Ok Banacek, if you are reading this post you are in the "Editing posts" thread.

Just above the thread title "Editing posts" is a light blue filled in rectangle going across the screen with Home>Forums>Start Here!!!>New Board Software in it left justified. On the far right is an icon with an arrow in it. Move your cursor to it and a drop down will appear with "Use BB code editor" - you must be replying to a post for this to work otherwise other stuff drops down.
Click Use BB code editor to select it.
You will now be using the BB code editor from now on (unless you do the same process again and select "Use Rich Text Editor" drop down).
The Rich Text Editor does not have the 5 minute edit post feature whereas the BB Code Editor does.

Thanks, genius. I'm going to have to play around with it a bit, as you suggested.
Per your correction, the arrow is to "open quick navigation."
The wrench is to select the BB code editor. At the bottom left of the posting panel is an option to go back and "Use Rich Text Editor." I had selected that in preferences. I will see what happens if I take that off.

First difference I see is that the posting options at the top - Tx B I U, etc. are not visible under BB Editor.

Using BB code editor for my previous post, I then went to edit it.
I still got the two minute warning:
The following error occurred:
The time limit to edit this message (2 minutes) has expired.

Using BB code editor for my previous post, I then went to edit it.
I still got the two minute warning:
The following error occurred:
The time limit to edit this message (2 minutes) has expired.
I actually did a test where I clicked on the edit function every 30 seconds or so. I got the error message just after the timer rolled over to show 5 min. So somehow your setup is different from mine.

That's strange. What's weirder was that the word "Edit" was even available to click on although it didn't allow me to actually edit. So, why allow me to even attempt it if you're just going to deny me?

30 seconds
60 seconds
90 seconds

Went in for the last time at 115 seconds, but by the time I clicked to post, it denied me. Must have exceeded the window of opportunity while I was typing. Guess that's why the option appeared but doesn't allow follow-through. So, for me, the two-minute rule is a hard and fast one, pun intended.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Again, it should be 2 minutes from the last edit not the initial post.

Also, my guess is that the 2 minutes is from when you hit "save changes", not when you click edit. This makes sense otherwise you could click edit then wait for an hour to post the change.

Also, my guess is that the 2 minutes is from when you hit "save changes", not when you click edit. This makes sense otherwise you could click edit then wait for an hour to post the change.
I was locked out after 2 minutes, with a 2 minute flag appearing, saying I could no longer make edits. Not a lot of time. But better than nothing.

Both of those observations are logical and should be considered the final word on editing option...
except that genius has been able to edit well after the 2 minute warning up to as much as 5 minutes, he thinks.
So, how do you account for that difference between two veteran (signed up under old software) members?

Both of those observations are logical and should be considered the final word on editing option...
except that genius has been able to edit well after the 2 minute warning up to as much as 5 minutes, he thinks.
So, how do you account for that difference between two veteran (signed up under old software) members?
1st post
1min 1st edit
3min 2nd edit
4 min 3rd edit
4 min 30 sec 4th edit