wireless

wrong thread boy . . .

i am ALWAYS married, even though i never wanted it.

i wanted to be a fearless girl reporter / archeaologist / butcher / detective / chef / painter / poet / fashion stylist / theologian / comedian / monk / semiotician / groupie / tinker / classicist / auteur.

or yeah, pro, like nana kleinfrankenheim.

life in the fast lane,
or just a girl who can't say NO,
hvb

speakers please or source.

james michener's daughter,
hvb

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
Don't buy wireless speakers.

(If you must do without cables running across your floor, throw them in the walls)

((I heard about a guy that installed an elaborate network of pvc piping in his living room (pouring the concrete around the piping to make a level floor). He ran all of his cables under ground through the piping. Cool))

just u:

i live in nyc. if i attempt to go into a wall, there is a very good likelihood the wall will come down. if i attempt to hang wires in there, the wall may come down or fauna will chew through the wires. plus, i could get kicked out of my apartment no matter how valuable my "improvements." why not wireless?

caffeinated,
hvb

Because it's inherently inferior.

Because, because of that inherent inferiority, nobody bothers to make good wireless speakers.

Because, even apart from that inherent inferiority, the additional cost of the wireless technology means you get less speaker (or rather, worse speakers) for your money.

full of piss &

vinegar today aren't we? btw that reminds me: got a recipe for a good red wine vinigerette (sp?)?

don't pull the mask off the old lone ranger,
hvb

Last edited:
The problem is a radio link doesn't have the fidelity of a cable.

However, there are some headphones that use infrared light that are reputed to be audiophile (or at least really good) quality.

I wonder if someone makes a generic IR audio relay device? i.e. take the audio out from your receiver and plug it into the IR send unit. Then have IR pickups connected to powered speakers on the other side of the room.

This is from experience? I was under the impression that these things used brighter IR than, say, in a TV remote, and it would bounce off multiple walls etc...so this wouldn't be a problem...

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
There are plenty of IR repeaters, but they are mostly for remote control devices, not source material. However, I think m & l's ( the j bros ? ) complaints had as much to do with the "powered speakers" as with the "wireless" component of the argument.

One advantage of powered speakers is that they do one thing which is reasonably widely acknowledged as being a plus, which is to move the power amp much closer to the speaker. Of course, one plus/minus is that you are "stuck" with thte amplification foisted upon you by the speaker manufacturer ( which OTOH has been matched to the speaker ).

One counter argument to jl: depending on where you are in the $ range, a good wireless system could cost the same as "good" wires ( whather that might be ). That doesn't mean anyone has one off the shelf and readiliy available - we're talking theory in the same way as in theory there actually should be some very good powered speakers out there ( there actualy are some decent half powered speakers ).