Wilpons selling percentage of New York Mets

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
btw... Since I've answered your questions you sort of owe me now. You never did tell us what you're personal interaction was with the Wilpons that allows you to state you're glowing opinion of them. Ever meet either of them personally... No? Ever have a phone conversation with either of them... No? How bout a one on one meeting in their office... No? Never walked the halls, rode the elevator, walked an engine/boiler room catwalk, stood on a roof top, toured their building or discussed pending construction projects with either of them... No?

Then I guess I'm just that much more informed about them than you are. So the douchebag term sticks till you can answer "yes" to any one of those questions.
I'll go on record as saying I have no beef with cruiter, but I'd like the answers to those questions too.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
You misunderstood... the sale money IS for the settlement. But they also didn't expect Madoff to go poof and were counting on those dividends to at least partially pay for the stadium financing. With the Madoff money no longer coming in they have to reach deeper than the supposed 48 mil Picard wants to replace that counted on dividend money.

And you don't find it the least bit odd that the supposed impartial commissioner of baseball is playing middle man in negotiations between a team and talent. Remember what I said years ago (and you doubted me) about this happening and how Selig or his office made certain deals happen that brought talent to money making big market teams in an effort to bolster interest in those teams and thus bigger network deals. And in essence FIXING the game so the talent went to certain teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Redsox and Mets. Believe me now? I feel so fucking vindicated!

Does this finally convince all you doubters out there that what I've been saying for years (since they gave Mac and Sosa special juiced balls to hit).... that baseball is fixed?

Where's that fucking Skellychamp now... he needs to read this and kiss my fucking ring.
Ozzy, I don't think I doubted you on that. But if it looks like a duck...

btw... What ever happened to that RICO investigation. They had Selig, his assistant and I think a league president in their sights.... and then it just went away quietly.

Last edited:
If they're more involved with the Madoff scam than they claim to be victim why they fuck not? And why stop at a billion. Nothing would make me laugh more than seeing Picard selling the clothes off their backs and their furniture out from under their asses... ala Ruth Madoff. Couldn't happen to a nicer pair of douchebags.

btw.. I'd also like to point out that Selig wasn't the first corrupt sports commissioner to rig a deal or dictate where talent went. Anyone who actually thinks the Patrick Ewing lottery was on the up and up and that it wasn't predetermined that the Knicks would get him needs to look at Selig and come to the realization that this shit happens. With Bird and Magic garnering all the attention in Boston and LA, the NBA needed a major draw and successful franchise in NY that could compete as the final piece of the puzzle. Instead they got a guy who could barely articulate so sneaker ads and a NY media darling wasn't gonna happen nor could he hit free throws in the clutch to compete.... So David Stern and the NBA had to wait a couple of years until a 6'6" guard from North Caaaaaaaaaarolina stepped on to the court in Chicago and launched the NBA's popularity, marketing and network deals into the stratosphere.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
If they're more involved with the Madoff scam than they claim to be victim why they fuck not? And why stop at a billion. Nothing would make me laugh more than seeing Picard selling the clothes off their backs and their furniture out from under their asses... ala Ruth Madoff. Couldn't happen to a nicer pair of douchebags.
THIS!!!

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
btw.. I'd also like to point out that Selig wasn't the first corrupt sports commissioner to rig a deal or dictate where talent went. Anyone who actually thinks the Patrick Ewing lottery was on the up and up and that it wasn't predetermined that the Knicks would get him needs to look at Selig and come to the realization that this shit happens. With Bird and Magic garnering all the attention in Boston and LA, the NBA needed a major draw and successful franchise in NY that could compete as the final piece of the puzzle. Instead they got a guy who could barely articulate so sneaker ads and a NY media darling wasn't gonna happen nor could he hit free throws in the clutch to compete.... So David Stern and the NBA had to wait a couple of years until a 6'6" guard from North Caaaaaaaaaarolina stepped on to the court in Chicago and launched the NBA's popularity, marketing and network deals into the stratosphere.
I found a bunch of Newsday's from the late 70's. The Nets and Knicks got barely a mention in those papers. Maybe 3 lines on each team. The NBA was on the verge of collapsing at that time.

And at the age of 12 years old, I remember the Mets were playing the Cubs or Cardinals at Shea. At some point, my father and I turned the channel and watched the draft lottery. After the Knicks "won" the 1st overall pick, I said to my dad, "That was fixed!"

If a 12 year old could figure that out...

You might find a few more basketball mentions in the Daily News and Post. After the Nets split the Island and their state of the art arena for a gymnasium in Piscataway and more importantly the departure of the Dr a year earlier.... Long Island didn't want to hear about basketball. The late 70's Knicks might not have won a lot of games.... but they certainly made the papers. Between Michael Ray Richardson, Ray Williams, Sly Williams, Campy Russell and Maurice Lucas... there wasn't a hooker or kilo of coke in NYC they didn't devour. There's must be an easy 5 years worth of combined suspensions between them and then Lucas and Richardson were canned for life. My friends and I had $2.00 tickets to at least a dozen games a year thru some ID card the NYC Board of Ed passed out, a Gyro and those greasy fucking potato chip fries from the Greek (Athens Gyro) across the street and a joint in my pocket. I was fat stoned and happy by game time. Who cared if they lost by 20 every fucking night. That was an exciting fucking team.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Nelson Doubleday was a very nice man. I spoke with Bill Skehan the other night at the LI Marriott and he gave me the rundown on how Wilpon was even a 1% owner of the Mets. Basically, Wilpon brought the deal to Doubleday. Doubleday, nice guy that he is, brought him in as a 3% owner for bringing him the deal. He absolutely didn't have to do that.

And the rest is history. Makes you wonder just how Wilpon amassed so much money in 6 short years to be able to come up with $40 million (or the ability to borrow that much).

Last edited: