Wilpons selling percentage of New York Mets

First I heard the Wilpons were wiped out by Madoff. Now it appears they made a shit load with him and got their money out before it fell apart and the feds want the Wilpons to reimburse those who lost with their ill gotten gains.

Guess dat means no free agent signings for the Mets this winter...

Fred and Jeff.... Douchebags!

But the silver lining might be they eventually wind up having to sell the team outright, not just a percentage. That would be best possible outcome.

My sympathy to all Met fans out there, first your team is in the basement and now the owners are in one big mess thanks to Madoff. Hopefully it's uphill from here.....

According to what I read....they invested around 500 million.....over the 10 years received dividends of about 548 million.....they are reported to never received their original 500 million dollar investment back. So wouldn't they only be on the hook for the 48 ?

so I guess you have met Fred Wilpon enough times to be able to call him a douchebag? Fred Wilpon is a self-made millionaire who has been nothing but a class act. What exactly has he done to merit being called a douchebag? He made some mistakes in running the ballclub? He's a douchebag because he hired Omar, who is mostly responsible for the current state of the team with all these bad contracts? That makes Fred a douchebag?
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You wish you had the life that Fred has had.

First I heard the Wilpons were wiped out by Madoff. Now it appears they made a shit load with him and got their money out before it fell apart and the feds want the Wilpons to reimburse those who lost with their ill gotten gains.

Guess dat means no free agent signings for the Mets this winter...

Fred and Jeff.... Douchebags!

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
My condolences Met fans. They might be one of the worst teams in the league this season, gonna be a long, long year I hate to say.
A touch below mediocre is what I'll say. Worst team in the league usually equals 63-67 wins. This team, as is, will win somewhere in the mid 70s range.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
so I guess you have met Fred Wilpon enough times to be able to call him a douchebag? Fred Wilpon is a self-made millionaire who has been nothing but a class act. What exactly has he done to merit being called a douchebag? He made some mistakes in running the ballclub? He's a douchebag because he hired Omar, who is mostly responsible for the current state of the team with all these bad contracts? That makes Fred a douchebag?
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You wish you had the life that Fred has had.
I beg to differ here, cruiter. Just look at how he wrestled 50% interest from Doubleday. And then it all goes down from there. Who do you know that has worked with him? All my personal relationships that have had contact with him say he falls in the "douchebag" territory.

Yes I have met him enough times to call him a douche bag... both of them. My old engineering firm had contracts to work their buildings. Want to know where Fred's (Sterling Equities) offices are? How bout 49th and Madison (SE corner) on the 30th floor. I forget the exact address but it's the corner building that houses one of the major cosmetics companies (Revlon?). Been a decade so I might be off on his current location if he's moved but circa 1998-2001, that's where they were. Yeah... he's a douche bag and Jeff is a bigger one. So big a douche that their own workers stuck something in the duct work that supplied air to his office. They both treat people like shit, even their own secretary (in 2001 her name was Lisa if you want to check). Lets also not forget how Fred came to be the CEO of the NY Mets.... by publicly knifing his former best friend Nelson Doubleday in the back.... that fucking cock sucker. The rotten apple doesn't fall far from the Wilpon tree.

So what's your criteria or personal experience for stating what kind of person either one of those two assholes are?

As for me... You won't find a single subordinate who's ever been in contact with me that will say I treated them unfair or as inferior or beneath me. Aside from his billions, the like which you can't possibly earn without being a scumbag and dicking people over... I wouldn't trade my life or morals for his.... not in a million fucking years.

Now shut the fuck up.

I beg to differ here, cruiter. Just look at how he wrestled 50% interest from Doubleday. And then it all goes down from there. Who do you know that has worked with him? All my personal relationships that have had contact with him say he falls in the "douchebag" territory.
I hadn't even read this post yet when I made mine above.... so Ditto on the Doubleday issue.

Last edited:
According to what I read....they invested around 500 million.....over the 10 years received dividends of about 548 million.....they are reported to never received their original 500 million dollar investment back. So wouldn't they only be on the hook for the 48 ?

That's what I read but apparently there's more to it which is why they're planning on being on the hook for a lot more. Note: I read it in the NY Post a few days ago (when it was on front and back pages).

Supposedly douchebag referred a ton of people to Bernie. THOSE people got hosed .... So .. the deal was that Fred continues to send people and their money to Madoff ... then Fred can keep his money and the returns he was experiencing. Picard, the referee for the Madoff victims, is in "discussions" with douchebag. SO .... they are looking and trying to decide how much they want back from douchebag. Wouldn't it be funny if Wilpon was found out to be in cohoots with Bernie!!

The Mets are so miserable ... I JUST LOVE IT!!!

Last edited:
The Wilpons and Madoff's are or were a big deal down here in West Palm Beach, where Bernie found most of his dupes. Considering the Wilpons somehow managed to be one of the few to escape the scam intact, actually far into the black (48 mil according to reports), I think Picard smelled a rat.... or rather a douchebag.

The bastard made himself out to look like a victim when in fact he profited 48 mill. And don't forget that press conference when they hired the new gm and he was asked a Madoff question and said he would never get over the betrayal as long as he lives. So yes he qualifies as a douchebag.

I, if memory serves me correctly seem to remember they were high school friends or grew up on the same block ? Something like that. Along with Sandy Koufax.
And their sons (Jeff and Mark) were tight, too. As far as the clawback goes, it's not just about the one account that the Wilpons netted 48 mil from. Supposedly, there are around 100 associated Sterling acccounts that Picard is going after.