Wilpons selling percentage of New York Mets

Larry King also claims to be a childhood friend of Sandy Koufax. Howard Stern used to play a clip of Koufax during an interview question referring to Larry King's (and others) comments of being his childhood friend in Brooklyn.... and Koufax said he didn't recall having that many friends as a kid.

Wilpon and Koufax are friends from Brooklyn

I guess that's why Wilpon took a stadium built for the Mets and window dressed it with Dodger memorabilia. I wonder if the LA Dodgers feel at home in CitiField.

btw... Supposedly some of this money the Wilpons are seeking by selling part of the Mets is to pay for the stadium. I heard they were counting on some of that Madoff money when they planned the financing for the stadium. Without it they're a few hundred million in the hole on their CitiField payments.

Last edited:
On a side note-
Martin Silver, the CEO of Georgi Vodka supposedly made an offer to buy part of the Team for several hundred mill-
About a year ago, I met him and had to opportunity to do some business together- Real nice guy, unpretentious and would never assume he is worth 8 or 9 figures---At the end of our transaction, he presented me with a Georgi tee shirt and bottle of flavored Vodka- Hoping if the transaction goes through, I'll re introduce myself and squeeze him for a bleacher seat

oh yeah, I'm sure guys like James Loney, Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier are so familiar with Brooklyn Dodger and Ebbets Field history that they feel right at home in Citi Field. Brilliant.

I guess that's why Wilpon took a stadium built for the Mets and window dressed it with Dodger memorabilia. I wonder if the LA Dodgers feel at home in CitiField.

btw... Supposedly some of this money the Wilpons are seeking by selling part of the Mets is to pay for the stadium. I heard they were counting on some of that Madoff money when they planned the financing for the stadium. Without it they're a few hundred million in the hole on their CitiField payments.

I wish I had that kind of money....I would definitely offer to buy the team. Then hire the best talent available, put together a championship organization that is in the hunt 9 out of 10 years.

oh yeah, I'm sure guys like James Loney, Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier are so familiar with Brooklyn Dodger and Ebbets Field history that they feel right at home in Citi Field. Brilliant.

It was a sarcastic joke you brilliant fucking asshole. Isn't being exposed as a moron once already in this thread enough for you. Since I supplied my c r e d e n t i a l s for referring to the Wilpons as douchebags based on my personal interaction with them... where's yours to support your claims of the Wilpons being such great guys.... and a ticket to a Mets game is not sufficient cr****tials.

btw... What did I tell you in regards to me.... shut the fuck up.

Hey Gavvy....

Maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong with the "for the good of baseball" rule I mentioned in the sports forum. That the league (commissioner) can invoke the "for the good of baseball" rule and can step in and take over the Mets in an executor role as they did with the Expos and when Bowie Kuhn vetoed Finley's attempts to sell his star players in the mid-late 70's. The league has to have sufficient reason but I think failing to make payroll, a criminal conviction of ownership (which was almost the case with George Steinbrenner*) or even just destabilization of a team (aka the Finley rule) is sufficient.

*The league suspended George S rather than invoking the rule... but I read that it was considered if GS didn't go without a fight.

Ozzy ... you are right on with "IN the best interest of baseball". He can absolutely order them to sell. HOWEVER ... the owners may object ... he would have to use all diplomatic efforts first ... Discuss the situation ... offer help .... offer the counsel of MLB's office and legal counsel ... all kinds of BS to look like they are making every effort to help the Mets ... in the end if the Mets degenerate badly ... he can invoke the rule and demand that they sell. This is how I have heard this discussed. Maybe Gavvy has better knowledge. I have a feeling that these scumbags will worm their way through this problem and hold onto the franchise. Let's hope so. No way they will win anything as long as they own the team!!!

oh, it was a joke? How can I not mistake you for Jay Leno? Silly me, I should have known having read all of your other humorous and light-hearted musings. Please let us all know where your next stand-up gig is so we can all attend.

It was a sarcastic joke you brilliant fucking asshole. Isn't being exposed as a moron once already in this thread enough for you. Since I supplied my c r e d e n t i a l s for referring to the Wilpons as douchebags based on my personal interaction with them... where's yours to support your claims of the Wilpons being such great guys.... and a ticket to a Mets game is not sufficient cr****tials.

btw... What did I tell you in regards to me.... shut the fuck up.

Ozzy ... you are right on with "IN the best interest of baseball". He can absolutely order them to sell. HOWEVER ... the owners may object ... he would have to use all diplomatic efforts first ... Discuss the situation ... offer help .... offer the counsel of MLB's office and legal counsel ... all kinds of BS to look like they are making every effort to help the Mets ... in the end if the Mets degenerate badly ... he can invoke the rule and demand that they sell. This is how I have heard this discussed. Maybe Gavvy has better knowledge. I have a feeling that these scumbags will worm their way through this problem and hold onto the franchise. Let's hope so. No way they will win anything as long as they own the team!!!
just remember this is the same corupt baseball comish and heirarche that took over and disbanded, sold off and moved the Expos so their TV/cable deals wouldn't conflict with the Brewers who share some northern US and Canadian markets. The feds were actually looking into hitting the commissioners office with RICO charges.

Besides me.... I don't know, I'd have to think really hard about that.

But staying in the same vain of douchebags we're discussing.... a baseball owner and a talk show host. I never really thought of George Steinbrenner as a douchebag. An SOB at times maybe, but you'd have to be an SOB to make whatever your venture successful. And maintaining the level of excellence and Yankee pride and tradition in this day in age is no easy venture. And thinking as hard as I can I can't honestly say that there's a talk show host who isn't a douchebag. They're all the same chuckle heads who interview the same guests and ask the same fluffball questions. Leno however might just be the biggest douchebag of all. Anything Leno does that's remotely funny or entertaining to anyone under the age of 80 he probably ripped off from Howard Stern or Letterman. And if he had a current news worthy guest on like say for example... Charlie Sheen, Jay (when he's not knifing Conan in the back) would probably avoid asking anything about the whore and coke parties and just ask ole Charlie what his favorite color was. What a douchebag.

Not sure about that..what I've read is that it's for the Picard settlement. So some idiot is going to buy 25% of the team and the capital is not even going to be plowed back into the team. That's why the end game is that (eventually) Fred and Jeff will have to sell controlling interest. There's so much debt on the stadium and SNY that that is the only option. From what I hear, Fred is a decent guy and Jeff is the moron, but they've lied to the Met fanbase for 2 years about how the Madoff issue wasn't going to affect the running of the team. and now you have Alderson saying that the only reason he took the GM job is the Selig begged him to. Other wise, he'd still be in the DR learning Spanish.

btw... Since I've answered your questions you sort of owe me now. You never did tell us what you're personal interaction was with the Wilpons that allows you to state you're glowing opinion of them. Ever meet either of them personally... No? Ever have a phone conversation with either of them... No? How bout a one on one meeting in their office... No? Never walked the halls, rode the elevator, walked an engine/boiler room catwalk, stood on a roof top, toured their building or discussed pending construction projects with either of them... No?

Then I guess I'm just that much more informed about them than you are. So the douchebag term sticks till you can answer "yes" to any one of those questions.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Hey Gavvy....

Maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong with the "for the good of baseball" rule I mentioned in the sports forum. That the league (commissioner) can invoke the "for the good of baseball" rule and can step in and take over the Mets in an executor role as they did with the Expos and when Bowie Kuhn vetoed Finley's attempts to sell his star players in the mid-late 70's. The league has to have sufficient reason but I think failing to make payroll, a criminal conviction of ownership (which was almost the case with George Steinbrenner*) or even just destabilization of a team (aka the Finley rule) is sufficient.

*The league suspended George S rather than invoking the rule... but I read that it was considered if GS didn't go without a fight.
They most definitely can, but as you alluded to, Selig and Daddy Wilpon are long time friends and that has clouded the issue.

And what was this that I heard briefly on 1010 WINS this afternoon? Daddy Wilpon and Saul Katz refered hundreds, perhaps over a thousand customers to Madoff? Egads, they should be sued for everything their worth. If they made money, makes you think they had some idea as to what was going on.

Ozzy, go back to the late 70s, early 80s with me here. Doubleday was wooed by Bowie Kuhn to buy the Mets from Payson's daughters, right? I think the price was $20 million. Wilpon had, what, 1% of the team? So, Wilpon had $200k at the time? For what?

How did Wilpon come up with $40 million in 6 years to but 50% of the Mets? I guess we can draw the lines to fast money with Madoff (if he was doing business with him back then). Wow, slippery people, those Wilpons. And your story is not the worst I've heard. And it is pretty bad.

Another thing, Sterling Equities lists it's headquarters in Great Neck. Do the Wilpon's live in Kings Point?

OK, be well, thanks for answering some of these questions. Should we move this to the Sports Forum?

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
just remember this is the same corupt baseball comish and heirarche that took over and disbanded, sold off and moved the Expos so their TV/cable deals wouldn't conflict with the Brewers who share some northern US and Canadian markets. The feds were actually looking into hitting the commissioners office with RICO charges.
Exactly.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Not sure about that..what I've read is that it's for the Picard settlement. So some idiot is going to buy 25% of the team and the capital is not even going to be plowed back into the team. That's why the end game is that (eventually) Fred and Jeff will have to sell controlling interest. There's so much debt on the stadium and SNY that that is the only option. From what I hear, Fred is a decent guy and Jeff is the moron, but they've lied to the Met fanbase for 2 years about how the Madoff issue wasn't going to affect the running of the team. and now you have Alderson saying that the only reason he took the GM job is the Selig begged him to. Other wise, he'd still be in the DR learning Spanish.
My uncle is in MLB circles (actually in the Baseball Hall of Fame) and the bolded out part was not the case even before this Madoff mess. Look how he swindled Doubleday (who should have protected himself) out of controlling interest in the team!

You misunderstood... the sale money IS for the settlement. But they also didn't expect Madoff to go poof and were counting on those dividends to at least partially pay for the stadium financing. With the Madoff money no longer coming in they have to reach deeper than the supposed 48 mil Picard wants to replace that counted on dividend money.

And you don't find it the least bit odd that the supposed impartial commissioner of baseball is playing middle man in negotiations between a team and talent. Remember what I said years ago (and you doubted me) about this happening and how Selig or his office made certain deals happen that brought talent to money making big market teams in an effort to bolster interest in those teams and thus bigger network deals. And in essence FIXING the game so the talent went to certain teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Redsox and Mets. Believe me now? I feel so fucking vindicated!

Does this finally convince all you doubters out there that what I've been saying for years (since they gave Mac and Sosa special juiced balls to hit).... that baseball is fixed?

Where's that fucking Skellychamp now... he needs to read this and kiss my fucking ring.