Two severed thumbs up!

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Nope, they are way kewl..

Originally posted by Spaz Medicine
I HATE the 5, 6, 7, 8's. They are horrible.
They are like a fusion of Hamburg-era Beattles (pre-discovery), some 50's style female pop group and a punk/garage band of more recent vintage, the sort of bizarre superpositions that give Tokyo nightlife its unmistakable cognitive dissonance buzz. And the singing makes Mick Jagger sound like a diction teacher. What's not to like?

-Ww

Wwanderer

I finally got to see KB2 and thought it was quite good as well as being more typical QT style stuff, but overall it just didn't have quite the power and impact of KB1. KB2 was a very good movie; KB1 was a great experience, imo.

-Ww

Last edited:
spaz: how could you hate the 5.6.7.8.s? japanese girls dressed like a motown girl group doing surf music. they are too cool.

i waited for 2 to come out b/f i saw 1 -- since it really is one movie (and no matter how deftly they cut it, it would be ever thus). so i saw the two pieces within 12 hours of e/o. i think if it's watched like this, it's kind of a great movie (well as great as a movie like e.g. lawrence of arabia is).

this girl is going to have a huge career:

gogo

did anyone notice that she looks a like a japanese uma thurman? but mini of course. i love ut's giant joints -- knuckles, elbows, toes

Last edited:
Originally posted by h. von bingen
spaz: how could you hate the 5.6.7.8.s? japanese girls dressed like a motown girl group doing surf music. they are too cool.
OK...

Well, their lyrics are for shit (I'm bluuuuuuuuuue doobie doobie doobie doo), but that is covered up somewhat by the fact that I struggle to understand a fucking word that they are saying. They are not exactly the most skilled musicians in the world from what I have seen of them. They do not seem to know how to really perform in front of a crowd (watch how the lead singer pulls away from the microphone all the time which ends up cutting off her lyrics). If a bunch of Japanese guys performed these exact songs, everyone would be ripping on them. As musicians, I do not think women should be held to different standards.

My opinions...

i agree about the mommyshit what a load. but don't forget ut and qt came up with the story. watching both movies together may have made the first 20 minutes more watchable.

Wwanderer

5.6.7.8's

japanese girls dressed like a motown girl group doing surf music. they are too cool.
Don't forget the tats* and the bare feet (even the drummer).

Spaz, their appeal is not in sophisticated lyrics and finely honed musical, or even performance, skills; it is in the intensity and energy and sheer quirkiness. Think punk or garage bands; lots of male groups have been successful (and entertaining) in the same sort of way. I have a couple of their CDs now, and the two songs they do in KB1 are not anomalies. These ladies crank it out quite consistently. I am going to try to see them on some future Tokyo trip.

-Ww

*I'm not sure if their tatoos were visible in the movie, maybe just in the performance clip in the "extras" on the KB1 DVD. Btw, this clip includes subtitles for the lyrics even though they are singing in English!

Last edited:
no, i don't think so. i think qt was an avid martial arts movie buff -- so he (and she) decided to make a movie utilizing the archetypes of kung fu, samari, spaghetti westerns, and charles bronson revenge flicks. ut came up with the bride idea.

qt is perhaps only 2nd to martin scorcese (and maybe not even 2nd) in using pop music brilliantly in his films.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Spaz Medicine
They are not exactly the most skilled musicians in the world from what I have seen of them.
This is exactly how I felt about Shonen Knife when I saw them a few years ago. Everybody was making a big ass deal about them because they were a Japanese Girl-Band and I saw their show and I thought it sucked.

I find mediocre girl-bands frustrating, because there are girls out there who can really rock...

æ

these girls are better than shonen knife i think.
O.K., they're better than Shonen Knife. But I still agree with Spaz that they're over-rated.

Maybe it's just a taste thing. I've never been that into girl-bands. The girls I really really like in rock have generally played in mixed male-female bands like Sonic Youth, Nashville Pussy, The Cramps, X-Ray Spex, etc.

æ

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
OH SO YOU THINK WOMEN NEED MEN TO VALIDATE THEM?

they're definitely lightweight, but so were the archies (a mixed m/f band).
A motto to live by: "We are no worse than anyone else"

OH SO YOU THINK WOMEN NEED MEN TO VALIDATE THEM?
Hey, if you find me an all-girl band who rock as hard as Sonic Youth or Nashville Pussy, I'd be very happy to change my mind. But I just haven't seen it yet.

The last all-girl band I saw was The Donnas, and I thought they were O.K. but not great.

æ