The Smiths; and other musical favorites and opinions of aging mongers

billyS

Reign of Terror
Side note:
Just saw Roger Waters ( Pink Floyd) at MSG last week
-singing performance as expected from a 79 yo

Looking forward to The Who at UBS
You have a fucking habit of doing this, you make a political comment, get your shot in then say "let's not make this political"

Well it is political, now you have your comment registered but no one can debate you.

And trust me, I totally disagree with you on what you wrote and would love to debate it with you but obviously I can't.

So your comment is getting deleted.

You have a fucking habit of doing this, you make a political comment, get your shot in then say "let's not make this political"

Well it is political, now you have your comment registered but no one can debate you.

And trust me, I totally disagree with you on what you wrote and would love to debate it with you but obviously I can't.

So your comment is getting deleted.
Ok-

I get it and understand

Sorry fellas- I do get carried away

billyS

Reign of Terror
Saw The Who at UBS the other night- For 77/78 year old Daltry and Townsend, I tip my hat ..

These rockers are still going strong and with the exception of a couple missed notes, one could have closed their eyes and reminisced back to their beginnings in the 70’s and 80’s thinking the clocks moved back

A great night

Rock On!!
How was Daltry's voice? I remember when they did the Super Bowl it was cracking and he wasn't hitting the high notes.

How was Daltry's voice? I remember when they did the Super Bowl it was cracking and he wasn't hitting the high notes.
For the most part, I would say very good, age considered - I thought Townsend had a little more difficulty as he appeared to be a little short winded, but excellent excellent on the guitar—

After recent seeing Roger Waters ( similar age) I expected less, being Waters voice sounded “aged “

I would repeat The Who in a heartbeat

Also going to see Blue Oyster Cult and Mark Farner ( Grand Funk Railroad) in Westbury in November.. looking forward to that..

last year I saw the original Grand Funk Railroad perform upstate… One of my ATF bands - These guys, aged 70 plus were fantastic

For the most part, I would say very good, age considered - I thought Townsend had a little more difficulty as he appeared to be a little short winded, but excellent excellent on the guitar—

After recent seeing Roger Waters ( similar age) I expected less, being Waters voice sounded “aged “

I would repeat The Who in a heartbeat
All respect to Roger Waters for his genius with Pink Floyd, creating their own genre of psychologically and emotionally stirring music that has never come close to replication.

Found great escape from the pressures of the world in Dark Side of the Moon, and all their music.

But, at this point in his career, he has no semblance of a singing voice, and boy could he howl, like a voice crying in the wilderness, at one time.

His performance has been reduced to a raspy smokers voice reciting the lyrics of his songs, more like a poetry reading.

Many other old time rockers still maintain their vocal harmony. Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues has many singing engagements these days, and sounds great.

All respect to Roger Waters for his genius with Pink Floyd, creating their own genre of psychologically and emotionally stirring music that has never come close to replication.

Found great escape from the pressures of the world in Dark Side of the Moon, and all their music.

But, at this point in his career, he has no semblance of a singing voice, and boy could he howl, like a voice crying in the wilderness, at one time.

His performance has been reduced to a raspy smokers voice reciting the lyrics of his songs, more like a poetry reading.

Many other old time rockers still maintain their vocal harmony. Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues has many singing engagements these days, and sounds great.
Very well said

Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) has pretty much lost his singing voice. Flute playing is superb however vocal range is limited and strained....a pity (IMHO)

Robert Plant

Over the summer I heard Plant was playing in Queens.. ( forget the venue). A quick search and I find tickets available.. tgtbt, I thought…
Further research shows he now sings Country & Folk? with Alison Kraus, woth no hint of Zep songs..

He still has a voice, looks ragged as ever, but I wouldn’t pay anything to hear him sing anything but ZEP

Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) has pretty much lost his singing voice. Flute playing is superb however vocal range is limited and strained....a pity (IMHO)
Ian performs with a backup singer, but it is sad, because he was brilliant with his Shakespearean elegance and 15th century minstrel sound.

The former lead guitarist in Jethro Tull, Martin Barre, can still whack the strings and performs with an Ian replacement. Sounds good.

I might be in the minority, but I love tribute bands or cover bands. In Long Island I used to see the Stones tribute cover band, Streetfighter. Thought they were great.

Moody Blues have a great tribute band, “Go Now.”

Beatles have some great tribute bands.

Always really great dedicated musicians who have a fanatical love for the bands they emulate.

I often YouTube these tribute bands.

Knowing that groups like The Who, Jethro Tull, Robert Plant , Roger Waters and many others tells me a few things.

1) There’s no new replacement to these great artists and bands. There may be a few flash in the pan acts , but there’s no new big fish in the water.

2) These artist have nothing else to live for and will literally die on stage. For Christ's sake, they bring Phil Collins out on stage in crutches and he sits there and sings in a chair. The stones are replacing members as they die!! Judas Priest wheels out their original guitar player (glen tipton) with Parkinson’s Disease to play whatever songs he can remember.

Their voices are shot. Their skills have somewhat diminished. But as long as their no one new to take the reigns, they’re gonna ride off into the sunset and die on their tour buses………

Knowing that groups like The Who, Jethro Tull, Robert Plant , Roger Waters and many others tells me a few things.

1) There’s no new replacement to these great artists and bands. There may be a few flash in the pan acts , but there’s no new big fish in the water.

2) These artist have nothing else to live for and will literally die on stage. For Christ's sake, they bring Phil Collins out on stage in crutches and he sits there and sings in a chair. The stones are replacing members as they die!! Judas Priest wheels out their original guitar player (glen tipton) with Parkinson’s Disease to play whatever songs he can remember.

Their voices are shot. Their skills have somewhat diminished. But as long as their no one new to take the reigns, they’re gonna ride off into the sunset and die on their tour buses………
I agree with you with respect to that generation of talent being unmatched, unrivaled except for the great masters like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Richard Wagner, and the like.

Many of the great 60’s rockers like Rick Wakeman, Billy Preston, Keith Emerson, and so many others bowed to those giants, and also to the black musicians of the early to mid 1900’s.

That era of history, 60’s, 70’s, unleashed an amazing surge of creative musical creativity in song writing and musicians.

Nowadays, there is not much for me to enjoy in the realm of the digital repetitious garble being spewed out of massive technology.

And, my generational musicians are quite old now and lack much of their robustness. But, they have left a catalogue of music for posterity that we can still enjoy in their original format.

But, don’t be deceived, because there are a lot of really talented young musicians these days, who spend their days emulating the greats from the 60’s and 70’s. When the best of these youngsters go on stage, they can really put on a show because they love our heroes as much as, if not more than we do.

“The Kids Are Alright.”

All depends on who where and how much. Some people tried to give me tickets for Bruno mars? Addell? Hard pass. Now Zztop or Eagles good deal. Rolling Stones Aerosmith too pricey. Saw Some performance where artist sat and played it was a non issue cause they still played the blues badass.

Led Zep fans..

I have seen Jason Bonham 2x at Westbury.. His performance on the drums were fantastic and group members just as good. They played all the old Zep songs..
If you are a fan of Led Zeppelin ( who in their right mind cannot be) this is a show not to be missed

Led Zep fans..

I have seen Jason Bonham 2x at Westbury.. His performance on the drums were fantastic and group members just as good. They played all the old Zep songs..
If you are a fan of Led Zeppelin ( who in their right mind cannot be) this is a show not to be missed
Westbury is the best?

Bruce Springsteen - Only The Strong Survive

When I first heard that Bruce was releasing a collection of soul classics, I immediately though it was a cash grab. But upon a full spin, it's the song selection and wicked production that makes this a very good effort.

Bruce Springsteen - Only The Strong Survive

When I first heard that Bruce was releasing a collection of soul classics, I immediately though it was a cash grab. But upon a full spin, it's the song selection and wicked production that makes this a very good effort.

It’s all a cash grab. Wait until he sells his catalog.