The Smiths; and other musical favorites and opinions of aging mongers

I watched a relatively new documentary on the lead singer Phil Lynott from the band Thin Lizzy. I was a big fan during my high school/ college days and saw them open for Queen at a show in Florida in 1977. Lynott was such a unique talent and the double layered guitar sound that made them famous in the mid to late 70's was really cool. Amazing vocals as well. Unfortunately, Lynott's heroin addiction cut short what should have been mega stardom given his charismatic stage presence and terrific song writing. Everyone knows The Boys Are Back In Town, but their work includes so many great songs. Best work was from 1973 to 1979.

Here's a link to the trailer.

Did anyone happen to see Phil Collins perform recently.. ? He performed a week or two ago, sitting down, due to nerve damage. Pretty sad.. He looked terrible
There are a few oldies playing this summer at UBS, Jones Beach . Rod Stewart, Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, Steve Miller and more.. Not sure if I want to spend hundreds to see these old favorites play as they push 70..

Did anyone happen to see Phil Collins perform recently.. ? He performed a week or two ago, sitting down, due to nerve damage. Pretty sad.. He looked terrible
There are a few oldies playing this summer at UBS, Jones Beach . Rod Stewart, Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, Steve Miller and more.. Not sure if I want to spend hundreds to see these old favorites play as they push 70..
I caught ZZ Top’s before Dusty passed great show. Funny part was walking around before the show and seeing lots of people being pushed in wheelchairs. BBKing used a chair at WMF and it was great as well. Spend the money for front row seats because you never know.

I caught ZZ Top’s before Dusty passed great show. Funny part was walking around before the show and seeing lots of people being pushed in wheelchairs. BBKing used a chair at WMF and it was great as well. Spend the money for front row seats because you never know.
You are correct- It’s a matter of self justification…
Like the gasoline thread..,
I’ll spend $400-$500 for super top quality talent, but ….
I may have re evaluate some priorities

As we age along with our musical heroes, a feeling of wanting to relive a part of our youth is natural and sometimes overwhelming.

In the past 8 years or so, I have gone to see many of the favortites of my younger years, Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Paul Simon to name a few.

Only 2 regrets, I held back on the Eagles "When hell freezes over" show and shelling out good money to see Roger Waters.

While musically, Waters put on a good show, I was inclined to leave before it ended due to the political onslaught and propaganda. (Not a political statement).

At this point, I just want to get lost in the music and the message of when it was initially written, as opposed being force fed a political view from either side of the aisle.

As we age along with our musical heroes, a feeling of wanting to relive a part of our youth is natural and sometimes overwhelming.

In the past 8 years or so, I have gone to see many of the favortites of my younger years, Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Paul Simon to name a few.

Only 2 regrets, I held back on the Eagles "When hell freezes over" show and shelling out good money to see Roger Waters.

While musically, Waters put on a good show, I was inclined to leave before it ended due to the political onslaught and propaganda. (Not a political statement).

At this point, I just want to get lost in the music and the message of when it was initially written, as opposed being force fed a political view from either side of the aisle.
Without injecting politics here, I was just discussing the thought of buying tickets for his upcoming show (Waters), with a friend. He mentioned ( and you seem to concur ) that his show does ( or did) include his strong opinions-
If so, I’ll pass and listen to Floyd Pandora

Without injecting politics here, I was just discussing the thought of buying tickets for his upcoming show (Waters), with a friend. He mentioned ( and you seem to concur ) that his show does ( or did) include his strong opinions-
If so, I’ll pass and listen to Floyd Pandora
I've see Waters a few times. Great music. Other than that, utterly missable. He's not that intelligent, just MHO.
I am lucky enough to know someone who used to do some traveling work with Waters, and he's in agreement. Says there's a reason Roger has a few issues finding people to work with him. That's just his opinion.

Roger Waters is definitely strident, but I saw him perform The Wall at Yankee Stadium a few years back and it was spectacular.

I'm lucky that I saw Rick Wakeman (my favorite musician not in The Beatles) a couple of years ago in Long Island. He looked great and sounded great and that's how I want to remember him. I know he was back at Long Island a few months ago and by all accounts, he was still fantastic, but it would break my heart to see him as a shell of his former self and remember him that way.

I Saw the Eagles at Garden Great show had Frey son Deacon and Joe Walsh did long riff. Go see them all because we aren’t getting any younger

I'm done seeing the larger acts. When Tom Petty passed, his death took something from me.

I will continue to support lesser acts at venues such as Mercury Lounge, Bowery Ballroom, City Winery, etc.. The Capitol Theater in Port Chester is a great place to see live music. Missed out on Elvis Costello last October. I think he played two nights.

I'm lucky that I saw Rick Wakeman (my favorite musician not in The Beatles) a couple of years ago in Long Island. He looked great and sounded great and that's how I want to remember him. I know he was back at Long Island a few months ago and by all accounts, he was still fantastic, but it would break my heart to see him as a shell of his former self and remember him that way.
I stumbled upon this recently. Rick Wakeman had a show called "Gas Tank".

I'm on a bit of a ancient rockers kick. I figure whether I saw them (or more likely not) as a younger person, it's worth the effort to see them before they give it all up one way or another.
The downside is I once saw Chuck Berry before he passed. It was just depressing. The same with Bob Dylan. Never saw them as a younger person - but they were past their prime.
Some of the old people put on a great show still, and the music still resonates. And, in some cases, their new stuff isn't half bad...the audience just isn't there any more.

I saw the late Eddie Money in 2007 and the poor man was just shot. It was pretty sad, not to mention the 150 or so in the audience.
I just watched him on FB - Although IDK date of recording, it was recent-
He did not look so well

Makes me think
Have I aged gracefully or do I look just as bad as these poor guys

I'm done seeing the larger acts. When Tom Petty passed, his death took something from me.

I will continue to support lesser acts at venues such as Mercury Lounge, Bowery Ballroom, City Winery, etc.. The Capitol Theater in Port Chester is a great place to see live music. Missed out on Elvis Costello last October. I think he played two nights.
You would be missing some great local outdoor venues like Jones Beach

I just watched him on FB - Although IDK date of recording, it was recent-
He did not look so well

Makes me think
Have I aged gracefully or do I look just as bad as these poor guys
Then again, Bruce Springsteen turns 72 this year and looks great, though he always looked 10-15 years younger than his actual age in the past. Time is even catching up to him.

Saw U2 a while back still playing hard. Even with front row seats they look good. Concerts are an experience. Small unplugged events are hard to come by these days like BBKings but you still have blue note and cafe wha