The Matrix

Re: Matrixophobia...

Originally posted by Reel Deal
...the fear of answering a standard telephone ringing for no appearant reason in the 22nd Century.
I dunno if I'd really fear that. I'm stuck at work and I keep WISHING the phone would ring and teleport me the hell out of here.

æ

You know, I have to admit that the elevator in the lobby made some kind of a screeching noise today that reminded me of the noise Neo heard back in Matrix I when something bizarre was about to happen.

Thankfully now that I've seen all three movies, I have nothing to fear from the whole Matrix/real world thing. Either way, it sucks.

Originally posted by Spaz Medicine
I am not so sure that he ruined the movie, because I think it was overall a good movie with excellent casting minus him. Butg yes, this movie was the perfect example of Keanu being cast absolutely horribly; he just did not work in that part.
Oh dont get me wrong I liked Bram Stokers Dracula its just that like you said Reeves was definetly the wrong choice for the role he played in the movie. I thought Gary Oldman was fantastic as Count Dracula.

Originally posted by occasionalhobbyist
Sorry. The question marks were meant to indicate that I found it hard to believe anyone would describe that as a good film. (Sorry Psychosis, but that's my opinion.)
No need for apologies, everyone likes different things. I happen to like Point Break. I on the other hand really cannot get into The Matrix movies. I saw the first one it was ok but I never had any interest in watching the other two (which by the way the 3rd one could be downloaded from Kazaa a few days b4 it was officially released but we all know that would be illegal)

I was out at my local tavern last night when a peddler comes in selling DVD's. The first one she she showed me was Matrix Revolutions. I had to laugh. The bootlegs are out already. She also had Kill Bill.

Originally posted by eros701
I was out at my local tavern last night when a peddler comes in selling DVD's. The first one she she showed me was Matrix Revolutions. I had to laugh. The bootlegs are out already. She also had Kill Bill.
The bootlegs for Kill Bill have been out for at least 3 or 4 weeks and The Matrix one has been on the net and on the streets for about two weeks. I remember when SW2 Attack of the Clones was coming out I picked up a copy of it in Manhattan 2 weeks before it was released. So much for Lucas keeping a tight reign on his movies.

Originally posted by Psychosis
The bootlegs for Kill Bill have been out for at least 3 or 4 weeks and The Matrix one has been on the net and on the streets for about two weeks. I remember when SW2 Attack of the Clones was coming out I picked up a copy of it in Manhattan 2 weeks before it was released. So much for Lucas keeping a tight reign on his movies.
The problem with the bootlegs in Manhatten is that they are poor quality. I bought Terminator 2 a few years back, and I was sold a blank tape. You never know what you are going to get when you buy a bootleg.

Its a shame Lucas is not half as concerned over the quality of his movies as he is over the secrecy of it.

Originally posted by Spaz Medicine
Its a shame Lucas is not half as concerned over the quality of his movies as he is over the secrecy of it.
I dont have a problem with the last 2 SW films. I actually like them a lot. Definetly better acting than SW Episode 4 A New Hope. That film even though I liked it for its idea was full of horrible acting, yes even Harrison Ford was lousy in the film. He even discussed it one time in an interview saying that it was one of his worst jobs at acting but that it put food on the table. I know some SW fans do not like the last 2 movies but my family and myself rather enjoy them quite a lot. I basically was always a fan of Vader so since these last 2 and the forth coming are about him I am partial to them. Yeah I was one of those that always cheered for the darkside. Vader and The Emperor were it for me. I wanted to see them completely destroy all the Jedi and rule the galaxy but because most people like happy endings bad guys never win. Its always the same b.s. good triumphs over evil. I hate happy endings for once I would like to see a movie or program end it total devastation and chaos. I dont think I'll ever see that but one can always hope.

Originally posted by alterego
((I find UG hilarious because people here can even make SEX seem boring and technical))
I thought that's what bad providers are for. (to make sex boring, technical and mechanical).

I dont have a problem with the last 2 SW films. I actually like them a lot. Definetly better acting than SW Episode 4 A New Hope. That film even though I liked it for its idea was full of horrible acting, yes even Harrison Ford was lousy in the film. He even discussed it one time in an interview saying that it was one of his worst jobs at acting but that it put food on the table. I know some SW fans do not like the last 2 movies but my family and myself rather enjoy them quite a lot. I basically was always a fan of Vader so since these last 2 and the forth coming are about him I am partial to them. Yeah I was one of those that always cheered for the darkside. Vader and The Emperor were it for me. I wanted to see them completely destroy all the Jedi and rule the galaxy but because most people like happy endings bad guys never win. Its always the same b.s. good triumphs over evil. I hate happy endings for once I would like to see a movie or program end it total devastation and chaos. I dont think I'll ever see that but one can always hope.

The scripts were much better for the original trilogy, especially for Episode V. Lucas is not an especially good writer, something I think he proved in penning the latest movies. He needed to bring Lawrence Kasdan back. Plus, I cannot have a discussion on abd acting without bringing up Hayden Christianson in Episode II.

I went out last night and saw the movie. It wasn't quite as goofy as the 2nd Matrix, but it was still pretty goofy.

I think the thing I liked most about this one, is that Keanu seemed to have fewer lines than the first two, so I didn't have to cringe as much from his acting. If I were making the Matrix movies I would have him lose the ability to speak right at the beginning. He's much better when he's flipping around upside down in his trenchcoat than when he's trying to deliver a line.

æ

These aren't the droids you're looking for

Definetly better acting than SW Episode 4 A New Hope. That film even though I liked it for its idea was full of horrible acting, yes even Harrison Ford was lousy in the film.
This is kind of a stupid argument to get into, but I really don't agree with this. Other than Mark Hamill (who really is a bad actor) the rest of the original cast of Star Wars is quite brilliant. Alec Guinness is great, Peter Cushing is great, James Earl Jones is great. And Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are both decent enough for their respective roles. The acting is one of my favorite things about the original movie. It's just schmaltzy enough to make the thing work as a fantasy, but decent enough that you don't cringe every time one of the characters delivers a line.

The last two movies, on the other hand, have been acting disasters. The love scene in Episode 2 is so ridiculous I burst out laughing in the theater. I like the special effects in the new ones, and the chase and battle scenes are really impressive. But I really wish the filmakers would pay a little more time to script and acting and a little less time to the eye-popping effects. This is how I feel about the last two Matrix movies as well.

æ

He's much better when he's flipping around upside down in his trenchcoat than when he's trying to deliver a line.
And even then he's computer animated while he's doing his flips. Why dont you just totally computer animate him that way you can control his actions and speech?

FlipMo

Saw it in Cancun for $46 pesos ( $4.60 US) over the weekend, now I really feel ripped off!

Originally posted by Reel Deal
Matrix was outstanding.

Matrix Reloaded was confusing at best, poor at worst.

I'll wait until III is on the "$1 for a week" rental pile. From what I hear, the emphasis should be on "pile"...

Re: These aren't the droids you're looking for

I really wish the filmakers would pay a little more time to script and acting and a little less time to the eye-popping effects.
When Count Dookoo (sp?) comes on in the last movie (ep 2), you feel the presence of a real actor (played Saurimon in LOTR). The contrast to the other players is so severe. It really makes your point.

Re: These aren't the droids you're looking for

This is kind of a stupid argument to get into, but I really don't agree with this. Other than Mark Hamill (who really is a bad actor) the rest of the original cast of Star Wars is quite brilliant. Alec Guinness is great, Peter Cushing is great, James Earl Jones is great. And Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are both decent enough for their respective roles. The acting is one of my favorite things about the original movie. It's just schmaltzy enough to make the thing work as a fantasy, but decent enough that you don't cringe every time one of the characters delivers a line.
æ

1 James Earl Jones did not act in SW, he did the voice of Vader and acting is more than doing a voice although I think James Earl Jones is a fantastic actor.

2 Alec Guiness is also very good in the movie as well as Peter Cushing.

3 Harrison Ford, who I consider a good actor, is decent in the movie not good and Carrie Fisher's claim to fame is only her fathers name because I think she is not at all that good of an actress.

Gone are the days when you had fantastic actors that would carry a film and we were mesmerized by their abilities. Everything now is about FX. How can we make the public go wow and stuff like that. As a matter of fact lucas said a couple of years back that in the near future CGI will be so well done that actors and actresses will no longer be needed to make a movie. Everything will be CGI and the more and more movies I see I really do believe this to be true because of how far CGI has advanced the next step is to master the CGI to be able to make a movie without using any actors. Sony already did this with a movie a few years back and it didnt look good but give a company time I am sure they will do it.

I think we have to accept this or if not get left behind and live in the past. I dont know about you guys but I refuse to live in the past.

Last edited: