The Matrix

My prediction for the new movie:

Neo walks into a strange room filled with computer screens. A mysterious man dressed in black speaks.

Mysterious Man: "Hello Mr. Anderson. Do you believe you are the one?"

Neo: "I do not know."

Mysterious Man: "You do not know because you do know."

Neo: "What do I know?"

Mysterious Man: "You know only what you know, because that is the knowledge which the system has allowed you to know. You have no choice but to know that which you now know, but what you know you do not understand."

Neo: "I don't understand. Who are you?"

Mysterious Man: "I am the two."

Neo: "Is the two like the one?"

Mysterious Man: "No. The two is one more."

Neo: "But are you part of the program?"

Mysterious Man: "Everything is part of the program. Even you are part of the program."

Neo: "I am part of the program?"

Mysterious Man: "Yes, Neo, you are also part of the program. An emotionless machine has chosen you to be the one."

Neo: "But why did the machine choose me for this role?"

Mysterious Man: "Because you are the only man on earth who makes the machine's acting abilities look good."

æ

The beauty of The Matrix is that the role of Neo did not have to be played by a very good actor. You have to admit, the first one was excellent (and the secondary roles are very well cast). The second one was good, but not as good as thr first. The third? Well... I still have not decided esxactly how I feel about it, but it is probably a little better than the second, but still not nearly as good as the original.

I can't believe the third one hasn't been blown out of the water as one of the worst films in the history of cinema.

The pace was plodding.

The action, while impressive, was boring, with the exception of a bit of gore. None of the visual effects had any of the originality, surprise or emotional effect as "bullet time" did in the initial flick.

The plot was predictable, full of (bad) Judeo-Christian iconography, to the detail of the cross that appears as Neo explodes, referenced moments later as a scar on the arm of Link's wife in the penultimate scene.

The dialogue was stilted and trite.

And -- this is the part I can't believe -- they didn't even end it!!! The oldest sequel trick in the book, and they couldn't keep themselves from falling for it.

This movie sucked. At its best, it was an impressive live-action comic book. All style, little substance. At its worst, I was muttering the dialogue to myself before the actors said their lines. (And there were a lot of those bad moments...)

AARRGHHH!!!! Why couldn't they have stopped at the first one?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

By the way, I don't blame Keanu. He's an uneven actor who has put forward some good work (Speed, Matrix I, My Own Private Idaho, Feeling Minnesota) and some awful work (A Walk in the Clouds, Chain Reaction). I didn't think he was the problem with this film. As noted above, the role of Neo is perfect for his slow, deadpan style.

The blame for this piece of crap rests squarely on the shoulders of the reclusive Wachowski brothers, who put a truly fantastic film concept together for the first film and then forgot all about what made it work for installments II and III.

I mean, there was no story here! The whole issue of the false reality of the Matrix was never explored again after the first film. The question of identity that concept raised was never touched on further. And the more interesting philosophical questions of choice and fate that the movie did tackle, it tackled with lead feet.

I REALLY wanted to like this film, because I liked the first one so much. I'll hold out hope that the Lord of the Rings trilogy, based as it is on an extroardinary narrative, will salvage a fairly awful moviegoing year.

Matrix was outstanding.

Matrix Reloaded was confusing at best, poor at worst.

I'll wait until III is on the "$1 for a week" rental pile. From what I hear, the emphasis should be on "pile"...

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by occasionalhobbyist
By the way, I don't blame Keanu. He's an uneven actor who has put forward some good work...
I thought his best performance was in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Originally posted by occasionalhobbyist
AARRGHHH!!!! Why couldn't they have stopped at the first one?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
I figure the costumes were already paid for, and what the hell else are you going to do with that many black trenchcoats?

æ

(I'm still planning on seeing the 3rd one in the theater, even if it's not nearly as good as the 1st. Then again, I am also the only non-Scientologist who paid to see Battlefield Earth in the theater. I think I have a really sick fascination with bad acting.)

The Matrix was great. The Matrix Reloaded sucked. It had some good fight scenes, but that was about it. The story-line is getting ridiculous. As far as the third one goes, I'm not in any hurry to see it. If I get to see it in the movies I will, if not I will just rent the DVD.

Keanu's best movie was "The Watcher".

Originally posted by lawyer101

Keanu's best movie was "The Watcher".
I dont like Reeves much but I have to agree with you here. He did a great job in The Watcher especially with the line "she loves me, she's decomposing, she loves me she's decomposing. I thought that line was fantastic.

I think he ruined Bram Stokers Dracula even though I like the film overall his casting in the movie was a mistake. He did a good job in Point Break although that movie was carried by the other actor whos name escapes me right now.

Originally posted by Captain Kirk
This thread proves that a large portion of hobbiers are technical dweebs
You needed this thread to tell you that???!!??

æ

(your own handle should have given it away)

((I find UG hilarious because people here can even make SEX seem boring and technical))

Originally posted by Psychosis
I think he ruined Bram Stokers Dracula even though I like the film overall his casting in the movie was a mistake. He did a good job in Point Break although that movie was carried by the other actor whos name escapes me right now.

I am not so sure that he ruined the movie, because I think it was overall a good movie with excellent casting minus him. Butg yes, this movie was the perfect example of Keanu being cast absolutely horribly; he just did not work in that part.

What the Matrix Revolution did for me.....

Absolutely Nuttin.

I would have hated to write a review for this movie professionally. I was looking forward to the possibility of it redeeming reloaded, but after 15 minutes (yeah I gave it a chance) I realized it was lost. There was a lot of action, so if shooting and blowing things up is your cup of tea, it might be okay for you. I think I read where one fight/action sequence was 45 minutes long! The movie itself is 2 hours and 7 minutes long. To top it off, as was mentioned earlier, there was no real resolution to Revolution. It leaves open the possibility of yet another sequal. Despite all this, it will make money. I mean they filmed it in conjunction with Reloaded, they had the sets, costumes and people, they just had to pay for their time. The original Matrix was quite thought provoking in my opinion and introduced some original concepts. Unfortunately there was little further charactor or concept development in Reloaded and Revolution, except for the introduction of a few new charactors, who contributed little to the overall plot. So will I get the DVD? YES. I am hoping that some director cuts, deleted scenes and a possible alternate ending may give the Revolution some redeeming value.