Thank you, and goodnight?

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
As many of you are already aware, I have stepped back from spending the innordinate amount of time I used to moderating every section on this site by myself. A few years back, one member stepped up to the plate and helped to take over some of the duties, but eventually tired and left. A few other guys came and went, none of them really doing much to lighten the load. Recently, because of personal matters, I had no choice but to step back even more. Fortunately a group of long term UG members agreed to spilt up some of the duties and to meld into a UG Staff and share some of the weight. But today, they pretty much let me know that it was becomming too frustrating dealing with all the issues, complaints bickering and all getting nothing in return, so the time they will continue to carry on is limitted. I don't know what we are going to do, but if/when I figure it out I'll write more on this subject. In the meanwhile, I came across an interesting item and I figured here is as agood a place as any to post it:

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Mad+Bender

Please take a minute to go fill out my page.

Wow, I can only imagine the amont of time it takes to moderate a board of this size. This doesn't include the behind the scenes matters which joe q. public doesn't know about.

If you have to bow out or limit your time I tip my hat to you. You did a fine, outstanding job all these years. I'm sure I can speak for many who appreciate all your efforts.

slinky, great job for creating and maintaining this board. Of all the hobby boards out there, UG has been one of the few good ones. I couldn't imagine having to deal with all the issues of running a board as large as this and with as many personalties as there are on here. Having to be part APM/babysitter/benevolant dictator can't be easy. Bravo Zulu to you Slinky, Allen, and the UG Staff.

Slinkybender,
Sounds like you are considering more than just retirement; like shutting down UG altogether? However it comes, I wish you well and thank you. I took my first baby steps with UG's help and will miss you.

Slinky-

We certainly may have not agreed on each and every issue over the course of my stay on this Board, however, I have always admired the time, energy, and effort that you have put into this board. Kudos my man!

I showed my therapist this thread.
He said my insurance company wont grant enough visits to deal with the issues Id have if you ever closed this board.
He might write you on my behalf because he feels hes come so far with me, and closing this board, well, he feels I might go on a bender, for lack of a better word.

all kidding aside, do whats best for yourself and your health.
Its supposed to be fun, when the fun is gone, well, look at me. You dont ever want to become like me.
It was a total blast being here, and I hope we are all here for a long long time.

I hope he is not shutting UG down

or else! I just paid him for my advertising...in advance!!!

just kidding, but if you are shutting down then I deserve an avatar for the money huh???

I have a better solution...put Kimmie and Amy in charge, to moderate UG when you take a deserved vacation.

:)~~~~

Well, you always have to look towards the future, you can't live in the past.
I really can't say I had a bad time in the streets, but if I had not look towards the future, the streets would have overtaken me.
Did not like to change, would have liked to have remained where I was, but time does not stand still for anybody, and especially not me.

Over ten years ago, when I first started, I would have never thought I would have arrived at this station which I now find myself in. But one thing leads to another, and if we make wise choices, hopefully, the future will be better than the past. The best we can do is to hope.
Good luck and Best regardss.

Slinkster,

Please don't give up. The board is very, very useful. I lurked for years until I finally got up the nerve to start posting.

Much, much good information and interesting themes.

Thanks,

Chels

As always, Slinky, many thanks for the board.

I don't mean to bring negativity into this thread, but I think its a shame that the board hasn't (at least as long as I've been here) been what it could. I think that there was far too much bashing, sniping and all-out personal attacks amongst the community. Over time it got to the point to where I wondered - why would I bother to share info. on a place or a provider I've just seen when people can be so nasty to each other and seemingly indifferent to the fact that there are real people behind usernames? Mabye its just me, but it seems that the angry, sarcastic jibes that were a constant really brought the board down.

That being said, its been a pleasure to be a part of the community you started. Sorry to see it evaporate.

I haven't been on the board for that long but it has been great to share ideas and thoughts and the debates have sharpened my writing and thinking skills quite a bit. A lot of really smart and fun people are here and it is like a virtual schoolyard with some supervision by an all knowing teacher who shows up when you least expect it.
This is way more than a whoreboard and I hope it doesn't end.

Last edited:
Good luck slinky! I think you have done a great job and if you decide to shut UG down I know I'll miss it, but you have to do what is best for you and your family.

Slink, you as the Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler of the International Order of Friendly Sons of the Utopia, under the motto, "E Pluribus Pussy, I wiggle my raccoon tail in utmost respect while sounding our distinctive "Woooooooo"

Last edited:
everyone is telling you what a great job you did here slinky, if it will keep things going, Id volunteer my services to help suppor the board, not a fulltime job, but parttime whenever I could help.

SB, you know I wish you all the best.

I think your invitation above is just grand and in homage have created my own pinata* for those here to whack away at. When next we get together we can compare notes and have a chuckle at our own expense. First drink and what-have-you is on me.

* http://kevan.org/johari?name=Thorn_UG