Technology

Good god!! Why?!?
I tried Version DSL (you know, the one that James Earl Jones pitched) years back. I got the kit, followed all the instructions, but still got nothing. A Version tech came over to my apt., tried it and said that my phone line was too noisy. He checked the telephone lines in my apt., then in my building. He said that he made a few adjustments. He tried setting up my DSL system again, still nothing. He said that the problem was with the outside line and that there was nothing he could do.

It seems that this is a common problem, and that this is one reason why Version is now into FIOS.

I might get broad band from my cable provider.

I tried Version DSL (you know, the one that James Earl Jones pitched) years back. I got the kit, followed all the instructions, but still got nothing. A Version tech came over to my apt., tried it and said that my phone line was too noisy. He checked the telephone lines in my apt., then in my building. He said that he made a few adjustments. He tried setting up my DSL system again, still nothing. He said that the problem was with the outside line and that there was nothing he could do.

It seems that this is a common problem, and that this is one reason why Version is now into FIOS.

That sucks, but yes by all means you should get cable then. I've been using a broad band connection (a good name for a cheesy female rock group BTW) for years and I can't imagine having to switch back to dial up. I get frustrated sometimes still with how long it takes the page to load, but even at its worst its 100X better than dial up. I have a friend who has dial up and its just too painful to even consider logging on from his place.

That sucks, but yes by all means you should get cable then. I've been using a broad band connection (a good name for a cheesy female rock group BTW) for years and I can't imagine having to switch back to dial up. I get frustrated sometimes still with how long it takes the page to load, but even at its worst its 100X better than dial up. I have a friend who has dial up and its just too painful to even consider logging on from his place.
The problem with cable Internet is that during busy times that claimed 100X speed increase drops way down. It seems to me that you might be suffering from cyberspace road rage. I might wonder just what kind of a driver you are, and the state of the whole world. It seems that the only thing we want to do slowly now a days is make love.

The problem with cable Internet is that during busy times that claimed 100X speed increase drops way down. It seems to me that you might be suffering from cyberspace road rage. I might wonder just what kind of a driver you are, and the state of the whole world. It seems that the only thing we want to do slowly now a days is make love.
Easy there. You don't know me so why make such a harsh evaluation of me? Because I get frustrated sometimes that my computer takes too long to load a page that makes me a maniac on the information highway? I didn't say I act on it. Since when is getting frustrated such a big deal anway? And for the record I am a good driver, too. That doesn't mean I don't get frustrated occasionally when I'm stuck in traffic and I'm late for a meeting, but who doesn't? Forgive me if I'm not as perfect as you are.

Easy there. You don't know me so why make such a harsh evaluation of me? Because I get frustrated sometimes that my computer takes too long to load a page that makes me a maniac on the information highway? I didn't say I act on it. Since when is getting frustrated such a big deal anway? And for the record I am a good driver, too. That doesn't mean I don't get frustrated occasionally when I'm stuck in traffic and I'm late for a meeting, but who doesn't? Forgive me if I'm not as perfect as you are.
I'm sorry if I offended you, I'm sure that you really are a swell guy who just happens to live a very busy life with far too many balls in the air at one time. I was just observing that the whole world needs to slow down and smell the roses, and perhaps post to their favorite bulletin board.

If I was zippy the pin-head perhaps.
Famous last words.

I've been in the biz for closing in on 30 years.

Do you know how many professionals, including myself [though not in quote some time thank goodness] have had a momentary loss of "in the moment" thinking and done something stupid.

It is precisely when we presume that we can't do something dumb that we are at the moment of our greatest peril.

Probably "loops".

DSL only works if you are a given number of line feet, or less, from the central office. Loops placed in the lines for various service reasons increase the line footage, and the noise at the high end of the line where DSL operates. Splices do as well.

So between loops and splices you are probably too far away from the C.O. to get DSL.

You can have the lines owner, probably Verizon, do a search to see of there is a more direct line available to you and have them physically switch you over to at at the C.O. That might work.

Last edited:
Probably "loops".

DSL only works if you are a given number of line feet, or less, from the central office. Loops placed in the lines for various service reasons increase the line footage, and the noise at the high end of the line where DSL operates. Splices do as well.

So between loops and splices you are probably too far away from the C.O. to get DSL.

You can have the lines owner, probably Verizon, do a search to see of there is a more direct line available to you and have them physically switch you over to at at the C.O. That might work.
Verizon told me based upon my phone number that I was within range to receive their DSL. I heard the same story from several other people that they were unable to use their DSL. This was merely a case of Verizon trying to make a dishonest buck. I sent the DSL kit back to Verizon, but I never received my $99 back as they promised.

Famous last words.

I've been in the biz for closing in on 30 years.

Do you know how many professionals, including myself [though not in quote some time thank goodness] have had a momentary loss of "in the moment" thinking and done something stupid.

It is precisely when we presume that we can't do something dumb that we are at the moment of our greatest peril.
I know all about things like this, but between my ZoneAlarm Security Suite, PC Tools Spy ware Doctor, my At&t Accelerator (which is really just a proxy server hiding several usually open ports), Windows Defender and the souped-up security of Windows Vista, I can't even scratch my ass without clicking on at least three dialog warnings popping up (and boy does my ass itch right now, and boy am I busy clicking dialog windows!). Say what you want about Microsoft and Windows Vista, but I have never felt safer surfing with any other version of Windows. I tried opening an ***** attachment and all or some of the above made me jump thru hoops to do so. I couldn't even save a text file to my root C:/ drive, it insisted that I save the file in my User - Documents folder. That pissed me off as I'm used to having complete control over my computer, but I can understand the logic behind this “feature”.

Vista is quite different from any other version of Windows that you or I have ever used (it feels like a very tightly managed Unix system). And did I mention that I have complete administrator rights.

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me why the word e-m-a-i-l is offensive to this bulletin board, and why it needs to star (*) the word out?

"Scratch my Ass" is just fine though, go figure.

Last edited:
I would be thrilled just to get my $99 back. There's not a chance in hell that they would go to all that trouble (and expense) for me or anyone else.

Verizon told me based upon my phone number that I was within range to receive their DSL. I heard the same story from several other people that they were unable to use their DSL. This was merely a case of Verizon trying to make a dishonest buck. I sent the DSL kit back to Verizon, but I never received my $99 back as they promised.
So you are out the money and no longer have the device the money paid for...

I'd call your states public utility commission. Frequently their hearing from them gets you some some satisfaction.

I would be thrilled just to get my $99 back. There's not a chance in hell that they would go to all that trouble (and expense) for me or anyone else.
They did precisely that for me some years ago [I haven't used DSL for years]. Though I have the personality characteristics of 1) thoroughly doing my homework before talking to such people and 2) being absolutely relentless in moving my agenda.

They did the same to me. I ordered DSL before cable was available thru AT&T. I was told I was on the waiting list of several months, during which time they sent me the package and I installed it (filters, modem etc..) and Verizon took over AT&T and when it came time to turn on my service Verizon couldn't get the job done. I sent them back the package and never received my $199 refund. So I fucked Verizon elsewhere when I ran up a few months of service on my office phones (about 2 grand... calling the Islands is expensive) which were under bogus names and fucked them right back.

Fuck you Verizon.

To tell the truth, I piss away so much money, that the $99 I spent years ago, doesn't mean that much to me. Another fact is that even if Verizon did fix their lines well enough so that my DSL worked, this wouldn't mean that I would get the blazing speeds that we expect from cable broad band. I remember that towards the end of Verizon's push of this technology, they were only promising speeds up to 7 times the speed of dial-up, and that's on an optimum phone network with actual speeds depending on the quality (noise level) of my telephone network. I could very well end up with a working DSL connection that's actually slower then my dial-up.

This is maybe why no one since Verizon has offered up this technology. Everyone now (including Verizon) only wants to sell fiber optics networks. Do you think Verizon, or telephone network provider (owner of the telephone wire networks) wants to spend the money to upgrade much of their perfectly good existing telephone lines (at least for land line telephones) get so a few people can get half-ass DSL?

"Happy Ending for Google Masseuse"

Even the Masseuse is a Multimillionaire at Google

PCOL writes
"The NY Times is running a story on how stock options that have given an estimated 1,000 employees at Google a net worth of $5 million each affects the culture at Google. Google gives each of its new employees stock options, as well as a smaller number of shares of Google stock, as a recruiting incentive. The average options grant for a "Noogler" (new Google employee) who started a year ago was 685 shares at a price of roughly $475 a share which at last Friday's close would be worth $128,000. But employees say Google is different from other large high-tech companies where the day's stock price is a fixture on many people's computer screens. "It isn't considered 'Googley' to check the stock price," said one engineer adding that it is also considered unseemly to discuss the price with other employees. And the masseuse? In 1999 Bonnie Brown answered an ad for an in-house masseuse at Google "on a lark" and after five years of kneading engineers' backs, she retired, cashing in most of her stock options to travel the world, oversee a charitable foundation she founded, and write a book, still unpublished, titled "Giigle: How I Got Lucky Massaging Google.""