Technology

I just put a new harddrive into a computer and re-installed windows. Does anyone know how to disable the messenger service to stop all of the annoying ads?????????

Disabling the Messenger Service
To prevent anyone on the Internet from generating pop-up messages on your computer, you can disable the Messenger service. You can restart the service easily at a later time if you decide to use it.

Windows XP Professional
Click Start-> Settings -> Control Panel
Click Administrative Tools
Click Services
Double-click Services
Scroll down and highlight Messenger
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties
Click the STOP button
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

Windows XP Home
Click Performance and Maintenance
Double-click Services
Click the STOP button
Click OK

Disabling the Messenger Service
To prevent anyone on the Internet from generating pop-up messages on your computer, you can disable the Messenger service. You can restart the service easily at a later time if you decide to use it.

Windows XP Professional
Click Services
Double-click Services
Click the STOP button
Click OK

Windows XP Home
Click Performance and Maintenance
Double-click Services
Click the STOP button
Click OK

Thanks Thorn it worked like a charm.....if only there was away to annoy the guys sending those ads.

Thanks Thorn it worked like a charm.....if only there was away to annoy the guys sending those ads.
Sometime ago, I received a phishing ***** supposedly from Citibank. I knew it was a phishing effort. I gave them a phony Social Security Number, a phony date of birth, a phony address in a phony State, a phony home and work phone number, a phony name and place of employment. I even gave them my first name that was phony, and I clamed to be a 19 year old female.

I’m sure if the people who sent me the phishing attack must be pretty pissed if they tried to use all that phony information to get a credit card with my identity.

It might even get them busted.

Thanks Thorn it worked like a charm.....
You're welcome

if only there was away to annoy the guys sending those ads.
Yeah, that would be nice wouldn't it. :)

What I would really like is a way to send a nice present back down the line to all those scipt kiddies scaning the internet with virus/trojan in a box software. :D

Last edited:
Has it ever occurred to anyone that all these computer viruses and Trojan worms might be created by the same people who create anti-virus and anti-worm software? Who else the hell has the time or the motive to create new and increasingly sophisticated viruses and worms? And isn’t odd that the major security software manufactures like Norton and Mcafee always seemed to have the code cures instantly?

I know that someone will probably say I’m nuts, but you have to wonder.

Sometime ago, I received a phishing ***** supposedly from Citibank. I knew it was a phishing effort. I gave them a phony Social Security Number, a phony date of birth, a phony address in a phony State, a phony home and work phone number, a phony name and place of employment. I even gave them my first name that was phony, and I clamed to be a 19 year old female.

I’m sure if the people who sent me the phishing attack must be pretty pissed if they tried to use all that phony information to get a credit card with my identity.

It might even get them busted.
The problem with responding to this kind of spam/phising/etc. is that your IP address is verified to the spammer. Hence they know that your e*mail addy is an actual address and you will continue to receive crap from everywhere. Best defense is a good e*mail spam blocker (I use Cloudmark) that puts all that crap in a spam folder. Quickly review the folder then dump it. Never open nor respond, even when there is a link to be removed from their e*mail list.

The problem with responding to this kind of spam/phising/etc. is that your IP address is verified to the spammer. ... Never open nor respond, even when there is a link to be removed from their e*mail list.
you are right on. The only thing I would change in your advice is "Never open nor respond, ESPECIALLY when there is a link to be removed from their e*mail list."

The approach I use is to have a couple of e-addresses: 1 for friends/family, 1 for business/financial related, 1 for whoring related, 1 for everything else. This way I can have very different filtering criteria.

you are right on. The only thing I would change in your advice is "Never open nor respond, ESPECIALLY when there is a link to be removed from their e*mail list."

The approach I use is to have a couple of e-addresses: 1 for friends/family, 1 for business/financial related, 1 for whoring related, 1 for everything else. This way I can have very different filtering criteria.
I have a very good anti-virus, firewall, as well as a graphic accelerator proxy server, which together make my ports invisible, as well as prevent worms from stealing personal information from my computer and sending it back to a spammer. So I’m not worried.

The problem with responding to this kind of spam/phising/etc. is that your IP address is verified to the spammer. Hence they know that your e*mail addy is an actual address and you will continue to receive crap from everywhere. Best defense is a good e*mail spam blocker (I use Cloudmark) that puts all that crap in a spam folder. Quickly review the folder then dump it. Never open nor respond, even when there is a link to be removed from their e*mail list.
The thing is, since I’m not who they think I am (after following up the information I gave them, I don’t even exist!), or what I’m interested in or want to buy. Very few spammers would be interested in me.

I have a very good anti-virus, firewall, as well as a graphic accelerator proxy server, which together make my ports invisible, as well as prevent worms from stealing personal information from my computer and sending it back to a spammer. So I’m not worried.
Just one click on the wrong web site and all of that is negated.

Microsoft Vista

Is it possible to partition your hard drive if you are running MS Vista, set up another OS, and not loss the data on your hard drive? I am running Vista now and need to partition and put XP on part of the HD. There are a number of programs which are not compatible with Vista…I think a plan by Microsoft to get you to buy a later version of the same software.

Is it possible to do this and at start up choose which OS you go into….and keep everything on your HD?

Is it possible to partition your hard drive if you are running MS Vista, set up another OS, and not loss the data on your hard drive? I am running Vista now and need to partition and put XP on part of the HD. There are a number of programs which are not compatible with Vista…I think a plan by Microsoft to get you to buy a later version of the same software.

Is it possible to do this and at start up choose which OS you go into….and keep everything on your HD?
Yes it is, but you are still taking a risk. I would still back up my hard drive with software like Acronis True Image 10 first, then re-partition my hard drive.

The part that would make me nervous is which partition should come first, the XP or the Vista partition? I suppose one could research this on the web. Will Microsoft allow you to Activate two different os's on the same computer?

I installed Windows XP SP 2 on the computer that I now run Windows Vista Basic on (I chose Vista Basic as I thought that it would be more compatible with Windows XP then Vista Home Premium). My modem didn't work with XP (I could have used an external modem that is not a winmodem or softmodem (yes I still use dial-up). Also, my usb 2 ports ran at usb 1.1 speeds.

Why not save yourself all this hassle, and buy a new computer that runs XP. Dell still sells these. I would also consider just how long will security software makers support XP?

While this is a very good article, the author fails to mention a very important difference between XP and Vista, how the two os's make and use virtual memory pages. While XP and all earlier Windows used a sequential VM Page, Vista uses a Random VM Page that can't be moved during the defrag process (this is a security feature that prevents malware from reading cookies and being activated, How this is done, I honestly don't know, but if you're interested there are some very long and complicated white pages on the web, and in technical books that might explain this). You would, therefore need two different defrag software packages, (on for XP and one for Vista) and using dynamic partitions might also be risky.