Sleep Aids

Take Valerian Root also. Take 2 pills every hour starting a few hours when you want to go to sleep. I have taken up to 8 without problem as long as you space it out. The smell horrible (cat's love it) but it is a natural herb. Ambian is horrible (personally I think it not better then Unison) if you are in school since it cause memory loss.
Good call Emily. Although I would suggest the tincture rather than the pills, but that's probably more of a personal preference than anything else.

I've suffered from terrible sleep problems for the last five or six years now, and the only thing that's really helped me so far is prescription drugs.
You and me both. Benedrel works good, take it early and it will do the trick. It does give you a slight hangover the next day. It is easy to get and cheap. I took it for years as needed.

I tryed all the prescribtion meds, the one that works the best for me is Klonipin. It is cheap, the problem is finding a Doc who will prescribe it.

You and me both. Benedrel works good, take it early and it will do the trick. It does give you a slight hangover the next day. It is easy to get and cheap. I took it for years as needed.

I tryed all the prescribtion meds, the one that works the best for me is Klonipin. It is cheap, the problem is finding a Doc who will prescribe it.
Benedral is not meant to be a sleep aid. One of it purposes is to dry up the body and for women it can cause chronic Urinary Tract Infections.

Most doctors will not prescribe Klonipin for the long term. I have only witness Xanex given for long term use because unlike other benzodiazepines it gives the user a feeling of euphoria as well as drowsiness. It is also used as an anti-anxiety for this reason alone. My father has been taking it for over a decade for stress. Everyone has different reactions to sleep aids and that's why there are so many, years ago you only had a choice of Valium.

try melatonin, get it at any vitamin shoppe or gnc, no side effects
Even my shrink suggeted I take this when I came to him years ago. I was like dude, that stuff is like taking a tic tac.

so he put me on Ambien. but thats only a short term cure for insomnia, He freakin weened me off..F^$& That shit was da bomb!!

Now I am on this other sleeping medication and its the best thing since peanut butter and jelly.

I wont give the name because its a prescription,not over the C...ok the real reason is because if you knew the name of it you would all know how fuckin sick up in the head I truly am because its a major sedative.

But seriously masquerade, obviously I needed it, it works. So see a doctor, because going that long with a sleeping disorder untreated is not healthy.

You cant call it insomnia if its over a course of years, you may have some other things going on.

Benedral is not meant to be a sleep aid. One of it purposes is to dry up the body and for women it can cause chronic Urinary Tract Infections.

Most doctors will not prescribe Klonipin for the long term. I have only witness Xanex given for long term use because unlike other benzodiazepines it gives the user a feeling of euphoria as well as drowsiness. It is also used as an anti-anxiety for this reason alone. My father has been taking it for over a decade for stress. Everyone has different reactions to sleep aids and that's why there are so many, years ago you only had a choice of Valium.
Actually, Benedral is used in hospitals as a sleep aid of choice. You are correct it dry's out the body, and in men - it can dry out the prostrate. I took it for so many years that it stopped working.

The first benzodiazepine was Tranxene, followed by valium. There are about 7 different types, all are schedule 4 drugs. Basically all of then are hypnotics, they make you tired and sleepy, and yes does cause euphoria. The reason for coming out with knew forms of Benzo's is so each Pharm company can get there own pattern and not have to wait 17 years.

Klonipin works for me. I take it in very low doses when needed.

Keep in mind that the first thing a doctor learns is: All medicine is poison.

Actually, Benedral is used in hospitals as a sleep aid of choice. You are correct it dry's out the body, and in men - it can dry out the prostrate. I took it for so many years that it stopped working.

The first benzodiazepine was Tranxene, followed by valium. There are about 7 different types, all are schedule 4 drugs. Basically all of then are hypnotics, they make you tired and sleepy, and yes does cause euphoria. The reason for coming out with knew forms of Benzo's is so each Pharm company can get there own pattern and not have to wait 17 years.

Klonipin works for me. I take it in very low doses when needed.

Keep in mind that the first thing a doctor learns is: All medicine is poison.

I am very suprised that you take anything at all. I gathered that you were anti-drug from another thread. I am not sure what was given first but I know Valium was very popular choice before the others came out. Xanex is the only one that does more the make you drowsy and I have tried them all (I was born a bad sleeper) including Klonipin. I was given for my ulcer this sedative Metrobramate (might be misspelled) and that was very different and wonderful but only worked a few weeks. It was hard to find since it was an old school drug and I had to order it in advance.

The best thing that helps long term sleep issues is to deal with the source, what is causing the problem and what can you do to fix it or deal with it so you can function. There are mental exercises that walk you through your fears and help to cope. Any mind altering drugs in the long term destroy our natural coping skills and that's why they are bad.

Let's face it, it's detox. Detox is very difficult. I had to face it with re-bound headache because I took a prescription pain reliever rather than medication for a sinus headache. Fortunately, I finally recognized what it was and I knew a solution: No pain meds for two weeks. Those two weeks were brutal, but the headache that my body was causing to get more pills without my trigger (weather changes) being present were hell. The body stopped getting it's fix and it eventually quit manufacturing the bogus headache. I did it all by myself.

I've been taking that same prescription drug for 25 years, but I'm allowed to moderate between it and a variety of other meds. Ativan/Lorazepam, an anti-anxiety, is an example. It's rarely used, but it will allow me to get sleep with a horendous headache. It might be used a few days in each of two months of the year

Whatever, it is, FIND the underlying cause, possibly through a sleep study. With 5 or six years though, I believe your going to need some serious help getting off the meds.

I am very surprised that you take anything at all. I gathered that you were anti-drug from another thread. .
Not anti drug, anti psychiatrist and after the recent shooting do you need to ask why? Hui is the 19th school shooter reported to have been taking psychiatric drugs since 1988, when Prozac, the first in the new class of antidepressants linked to suicide and violent behavior hit the market. But that is a discussion for a different thread.

I am not sure what was given first but I know Valium was very popular choice before the others came out. .
Valium came out by Roche and was heavily marketed. It is only meant to be taken for one month, the body builds a very fast tolerance. As I mentioned, the other Pharm companies jumped on the band wagon and made there own version with a slight twist.

Xanex is the only one that does more the make you drowsy and I have tried them all .
Xanex is faster acting, but the effects are not as long lasting. All Benzo's kind of act the same, with a slight variations. Klonipin is longer lasting, which I like because I sleep the whole night. I also do not get nightmares.

(I was born a bad sleeper) .
You and me both, it is kind of a curse. I smoked tree's for 7 years, they worked great! The did damage my lungs a little, and having kids, it is not best thing for me to light up at night.

It comes down to if I want to be up all night, miserable, and tired all day. When I get very little sleep one day, then the next day I fall right to sleep, no med's needed. I use the med's sparingly, Benz's been around for years and are not hazardous drugs, when not mixed with liquor, other drugs, or taken in access.

including Klonipin. I was given for my ulcer this sedative Metrobramate (might be misspelled) and that was very different and wonderful but only worked a few weeks. It was hard to find since it was an old school drug and I had to order it in advance. .
It is hard to get Benzo's - docs do not like to prescribe them. People on methadone love them, because they interact with the methadone and give a wild effect, better then heroin. Coke and crack addicts like them because it brings them down. They have ruined it for people who can benefit from the medication.

The best thing that helps long term sleep issues is to deal with the source, what is causing the problem and what can you do to fix it or deal with it so you can function. There are mental exercises that walk you through your fears and help to cope. Any mind altering drugs in the long term destroy our natural coping skills and that's why they are bad.
Maybe there is nothing to cope with. You said it yourself, you were born a bad sleeper. My Grandma was the same, used to sleep 4 hours a night. I do not feel good on 4 hours, I like a full nights sleep, and the med's help.

I been told that my room should just be for sleeping, no TV, no computer. There are many other techniques to help sleep, I prefer my way, though it may not be the best.

Last edited:
I've suffered from terrible sleep problems for the last five or six years now, and the only thing that's really helped me so far is prescription drugs. The problem is I have no health insurance (my mother's been sending me her pills in the mail because she's taking something else now, but her prescription's run out) and it gets pretty expensive to pay for these things out of pocket. It's also a giant pain in the ass to find a doctor who doesn't give me a hard time about writing the Rx.

I'm also pretty depressed about having to rely on something unnatural every night in order to fall asleep; it's gotten to the point where I literally won't go to sleep at all if I don't take something. I just lie there worrying about everything I have to do the following day, and then when that starts to keep me up I begin to stress over the fact that I'll be a zombie in the morning, which in turns making falling asleep even harder. It's a vicious self-perpetuating problem.

Ideally, I would like to find a way to turn my brain off without drugs. I feel like a lightswitch stuck in the on position.... my body will be totally exhausted but I can't get my mind to allow me to tune-out for the night. Even with drugs it typically takes me two hours or more to fall asleep once I get in bed. What makes matters worse is that I have to share my bed with someone who is lucky enough to fall asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow.

I don't know what to do anymore. I certainly can't drink to the point of passing out everynight. Suggestions?

Yeah...try Benadryl capsules. One hour after ingestion you can barely keep your eyes open and no grogginess/side effects in the morning. Cheap and over the counter. I find it to be the perfect remedy for insomniacs.

My mom tricked her psychiatrist into giving her a prescription for lunesta (for me) so problem solved, I guess. At least for the time being. She has like, three different doctors she sees on a regular basis so it's usually pretty easy for her to get whatever she wants. I really need to get my own doctor and get this whole thing straightened out, but it sure is nice to not have to worry about my prescription running out and not being able to sleep right now.

My mom tricked her psychiatrist into giving her a prescription for lunesta (for me) so problem solved, I guess. At least for the time being. She has like, three different doctors she sees on a regular basis so it's usually pretty easy for her to get whatever she wants. I really need to get my own doctor and get this whole thing straightened out, but it sure is nice to not have to worry about my prescription running out and not being able to sleep right now.
Never tryed them.

Do you fall asleep fast?
Is it a full night?
Hang over in the morning?
Any nightmares, or wild dreams?

Thanks, not trying to give you the third degree, but I want to try them, and the Doc never has the answers.

It is 4:15 and I can not fall asleep, just took a another small piece of Klonipin (I buy 2mg and cut them into 1/4), will soon try to drift into sleep land.

Never tryed them.

Do you fall asleep fast?
Is it a full night?
Hang over in the morning?
Any nightmares, or wild dreams?

Thanks, not trying to give you the third degree, but I want to try them, and the Doc never has the answers.

It is 4:15 and I can not fall asleep, just took a another small piece of Klonipin (I buy 2mg and cut them into 1/4), will soon try to drift into sleep land.
Oh, lunesta is fantastic. My father also started taking it recently as and it's working really for him, too. (guess the sleeping problems are genetic.) In my experience with the drug, I fell asleep fast and generally woke up 7-8 hours later with very little hang over. Apparently, if you can get a prescription from your doctor the manufacturer is offering a 7 day free trial right now. I saw an ad on tv. I always have wild dreams, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that.
The comment someone made earlier about ambien and memory loss has really been bothering me lately, so I'm glad I'll be switching back over to the lunesta soon.