Review: Passion of the Christ

Originally posted by justme
Everything gets corrupted.
Sure, but the corruption of certain religions (esp. Christianity and Buddhism) is more ironic than the corruption of other religions. Hinduism, Judaism and Islam were much more worldly to begin with.

æ

Radical Islamic militancy and fundamentalist Jewish settlers aren't really ironic extensions of their original religions. They're insane without irony.

Televangelists preaching Jesus' Gospel while asking their followers for millions of dollars is insane and ironic.

æ

Originally posted by alterego
Radical Islamic militancy and fundamentalist Jewish settlers aren't really ironic extensions of their original religions. They're insane without irony.

Televangelists preaching Jesus' Gospel while asking their followers for millions of dollars is insane and ironic.

æ
can i get an "amen"?
preach on, brother ae
PTL(OTR)

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by alterego
What part of Thou Shall Not Kill do you not understand?

(Although I do agree that it's especiall horrible w/ Christianity)

((But I'm biased, I suppose))

Originally posted by justme
What part of Thou Shall Not Kill do you not understand?
The part of the Old Testament which has God killing people (or directing the Israelites to kill people) left, right, and center. Same goes for Islam. Those were not religions born out of the preaching of pacifist ascetics.

æ

Last edited:
Originally posted by jseah
Remember that throughout the Old Testament, the prophets proclaimed Jesus' coming, that he would not be accepted by his people, that he would suffer and be crucified. It was God's plan that this would happen. You cannot blame the Jews for what God had planned to happen.

I don't believe that’s at all accurate. For one, there is no mention of Jesus in the Old Testament (the Jewish version of the bible). Secondly, all mentions of prophets pertain to a type of immortal or angel of sorts (Elijah). Certainly not of flesh and blood and no mention of crucifixions.

prophets

I wonder where u got the idea that Jewish prophets were angels? The only prophet even remotely resembling an angel might be Elijah, who, as legend has it, ascended alive to heaven(every religion has someone who did this, btw). All the others(and there were many) were clearly mere mortals. In fact, many of Israel's prophets were killed(never to return) by the kings who saw them as athreat to their sovereignty or political agenda(for instance Ahab and Jezebel killed hundreds of them).
I always find discussions on religion kind of funny, because inevitably, the overwhelming majority of opinions offered are by people who don't really know anything about the subject. But then again, I suppose that is true about any topic.

what a difference a rib makes

Originally posted by pjorourke
Amen!!!
Bless you, brother p
say 10 Hell Marys and you get absolution and a freebie (to be named later, but a GFE for sure)
make your check out to Rev jras
piece

There's no way they could have built the Vatican without the help of the Klingons

Originally posted by gideonmandoma
(every religion has someone who did this, btw).
It's because religion was given to humanity by the Alien Overlords. It's true! Didn't you ever read Chariots of the Gods???

æ