Red Wine Suggestions?

If you live in New York State, you should know that Gov. Patterson is considering introducing a bill that would allow supermarkets and grocery stores to sell wine, and I’m not talking about watered-down “wine products”, but full strength wine. While this might seem like a good thing at first glance, wine and liquor store owners are afraid that this will put them out of business because they simply couldn’t compete with giant super market chains.
Update! This bill was killed, not going to happen!

My take on Fat Bastard...

...is that they are no more than gimmicky critter wines - similar to Yellowtail - but from that vast pool of cheap grapes in southern France. IMHO there are way better values for your money.

Agree with Duster.

My advice to people is to go to a really good wine store and ask a salesperson for their advice.

The best cheap wines are stuff you probably haven't heard of.

You are absolutely correct. The folks in the wine store want you as a repeat customer and will usually steer you to some values.... in hope that you'll buy some top end stuff eventually.
A wine guy steered me to Columbia Crest Two vines cab, between 6 and 9 bucks in the upper midwest, can say what it costs in NYC metro area. I like it and I don't give a second thought to giving it as a gift or serving it at special occasions. A friend once told me that I could build a house with the empty cc bottles I have caused to happen.

wd69

justme

homo economicus
Sometimes it's good to know a few supermarket wines that you find OK. In Texas the booze stores close at 9, but the grocery stores can sell wine till midnight.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
Palo Alto Reserve 2007 from Maule Valley in Chile. A blend of Cabernet Sauvingon, Carménère, and Syrah. About $10 to $11 a bottle. It tastes like heartburn. I do not recommend.

I hope I am not coming in to late on this one. I am impressesd with Kelly's suggestion of Barbaresco. This is a really good wine. 2005 is a good one, not too pricey. Anything in St. Estephe is also very good. Try the 2004 for a good price. Older ones can be very pricey. I also like Simi (Calif), they have a good merlot and cab at a good price. The Simi whites are good also. Hope this helps

I hope I am not coming in to late on this one. I am impressesd with Kelly's suggestion of Barbaresco. This is a really good wine. 2005 is a good one, not too pricey. Anything in St. Estephe is also very good. Try the 2004 for a good price. Older ones can be very pricey. I also like Simi (Calif), they have a good merlot and cab at a good price. The Simi whites are good also. Hope this helps
I don't mean to be criticizing people who actually participate in this forum, but I think recommendations like "Barbaresco" or even "St. Estephe" are kind of useless. Those are types of wine. Within each type, there's a tremendous range of quality and price. So it would help if people could recommend labels. And we're not even getting to the issue of vintage.

Otherwise, it's sort of like telling somebody, "I recommend fucking a blonde." It's just a little bit too general to be useful.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be criticizing people who actually participate in this forum, but I think recommendations like "Barbaresco" or even "St. Estephe" are kind of useless. Those are types of wine. Within each type, there's a tremendous range of quality and price. So it would help if people could recommend labels. And we're not even getting to the issue of vintage.

Otherwise, it's sort of like telling somebody, "I recommend fucking a blonde." It's just a little bit too general to be useful.
Also, well put, by JL. It is important, I think, to cite the winemaker/winery and year when talking about a wine category such as Barbaresco or St. Estephe. As an example, I am very familiar with reds from a French Region called Les Baux but unless I refer to the specific winery or domaine, I may end up recommending one of the lousy ones from that region.

No disrespect to anyone but let's try to be more specific. That said, the lovely BK can recommend whatever she wants!

Life is too short to drink cheap wine,

Chels

Last edited:
To elaborate, I can kind of see making a general recommendation if it's some little-known up-and-coming appellation (like, say, Bierzo), where prices are all pretty low, and no one in America has drunk all that much of it so we can't really distinguish yet between producers, and the wine isn't generally available so you can't really look for specific producers, as it's more catch-as-catch-can in finding whatever happens to be in a store. (Frankly, Las Baux might fit into this category, too.)

But famous old appellations like the ones mentioned, where most things are generally available and prices range from around $20 (if you're lucky) to the multiple hundreds, you really need more to go on than just a reference to the appellation.

Last edited:
PS -- For Barbaresco, let me give you all the following advice:

The Produttori di Barbaresco co-op produces what are consistently among best values in this high-priced appellation.

My advice to people is to go to a really good wine store and ask a salesperson for their advice.
I completely agree with this.

I admit to have gone with my gut some times, but only when I had a fall back option at home. It can be like playing lotto... well not exactly but chances of making a bad choice are relatively high.

My experience with wine store sales people has been decidedly mixed over the years. If it is a shop where they know me, the likelihood of success is great. But if I am an unknown at a store, I have experienced scammers who simply lead you to expensive, overpriced stuff.

Enjoy the wine,

Chels