Red Wine Suggestions?

Peruvian wine

Peruvian wine? The liquor store across the street has a bottle of wine from Peru. It's a cheesy label decorated with grape vines. It's called "Burgundy". Pinot noir, I guess. The owner said a distributor dropped it off, but that she wasn't going to buy it before a few customers tasted it. She didn't offer to open it then for me to try, and it's still sitting there.

So, have any of you tried wine from Peru?
I am Peruvian and there are some excellent wines in Peru bit the industry is so small that cannot compete with our Argentinean or Chilean neighbors yet.
The best wineries in Peru are Tacama, Ocucaje and tabernero; you can go to their web sites too.

There are also really cheap bad wines like those that weedoggies69 probably had.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
For a year or so, I've been drinking Marco Real Tempranillo from Navarra, $10 a bottle at the store across the street. Bless them--every time I finish off what's on the shelf, they order more. Smooth and supple, easy to drink. Excellent value. It's the 2005 bottling I've been happily swilling all this time.

I am stuck with La Selvanella 2003, Chianti Classico Riserva.

It has been about a year now. I tried a couple of time to buy different wines but I went back to it without even finishing the other bottle. Maybe this is the One for me.

It is not cheap, but it is not expensive either. Less than $30.

Last edited:
I drink a screw top gallon of Piasano wine. I think its a very good table red wine. And at $ 9.99 a gallon in New Jersey. I also just started drinking Charles Shaw which is nicknamed 2 buck Chuck ...now 3 buck a bottle. I am not really someone who has had a lot of the more expensive wines...so for me these work.

If you live in New York State, you should know that Gov. Patterson is considering introducing a bill that would allow supermarkets and grocery stores to sell wine, and I’m not talking about watered-down “wine products”, but full strength wine. While this might seem like a good thing at first glance, wine and liquor store owners are afraid that this will put them out of business because they simply couldn’t compete with giant super market chains.

If you live in New York State, you should know that Gov. Patterson is considering introducing a bill that would allow supermarkets and grocery stores to sell wine, and I’m not talking about watered-down “wine products”, but full strength wine. While this might seem like a good thing at first glance, wine and liquor store owners are afraid that this will put them out of business because they simply couldn’t compete with giant super market chains.
I don't like this.

..*****. Patterson is considering introducing a bill that would allow supermarkets and grocery stores to sell wine...
The liquor store owners associations intend on getting MADD involved in their fight. That plus Patterson's dwindling popularity should most likely kill the bill for now.

The great thing about wine...

...is that there are so many choices at every price range. A better question to ask would be recommendations "around ten bucks," "under $20," etc.

I like Las Rocas Garnacha - maybe $12.00..and for an over the top, heavily extracted wine with a reall "wow" effect, one of the Clarendon Hills Australian grenaches.

I don't like this.

any reason why? I've found some of my best buys at grocery stores in VA. I've surprised a lot of people with $6-15 bottles of wines which arent common in NY.

Most bottles in the sub $10 range in NY stores tend to be crap, and those in the teens are a hit or a miss.

The good winestores will stay in business, they are the ones who know their wines and offer their customers a value proposition through education and selection of their purchase.

One problem with Patterson’s bill is that if liquor stores are shut down due to the competition from supermarkets, where will we buy booze?

I doubt these liqour stores get closed down. In VA for example the ABC stores sell liqour \ only, wine and beer are sold at grocery stores, convenience stores etc.

Last edited:
Oh, now that I think about it, I've HAD that. I see what you mean by a "little Amarone". It isn't an Amarone by any means, but it has tendencies in that direction. A really nice wine for the price -- you're totally right about that.

Something that I've been enjoying lately along those lines is Corte Gardoni Becco Rosso (pushed by Moore Bros.). It's a much lighter style of corvino, very drinkable and a good wine for that same approximate price.

Last edited:
Justlooking,

When I was in Italy in 1985, I was drinking Bertani Amarone at $6.00 a bottle. A friend of mine told me it was Hall & Oates favorite red wine. Real Big. I lugged a few bottles home. Now its $65 a bottle and up.