R. I. P.

If any of you know of anyone who has been in hospice (I have had 4 close relatives recently), the way it works is that all your regular meds, food and water are withheld and you are loaded up with morphine. End comes quickly once this starts — 3 of them lasted less that 24 hours and 1 several days. Decision to enter hospice is usually made by someone holding health care proxy (was in 3 out of 4 of these cases - person who was still able to make such a decision himself was the one who lasted several days)

Ps. Pick the person holding your health care proxy carefully.

If any of you know of anyone who has been in hospice (I have had 4 close relatives recently), the way it works is that all your regular meds, food and water are withheld and you are loaded up with morphine. End comes quickly once this starts — 3 of them lasted less that 24 hours and 1 several days. Decision to enter hospice is usually made by someone holding health care proxy (was in 3 out of 4 of these cases - person who was still able to make such a decision himself was the one who lasted several days)

I've dealt with this a few times. There are two types I've seen. People refer to both as hospice.

The hospice I've seen is you have a feeding tube, get basic nutrients and meds to make them comfortable. Usually the person is extremely ill and can't feed themselves and are bedridden. Could take a few days.

The other is End of life care. This was more extreme and seems to go quicker. I feel like this was what you described for the 3 out of four.

I am going thru it now one of son in laws aggressive stage 4 we just put him hospice sad to see but it is better than being in pain

.... I feel like this was what you described for the 3 out of four.
I don't think I was clear. What I should have said was of the 4 people I know who went on end of life hospice, i.e., all regular meds, food and water are withheld and you are loaded up with morphine, 3 of them were so out of it that the health proxy person made the decision. The 4th was a younger person ( 66) who had multiple myeloma (destroys immune system) and he ended up with a trifecta of infections, fungus, bacteria, virus, was on major IV antibiotics that were not controlling the infections, in pain and finally said "f**k it, stop all treatments', show my wife how to admin morphine and send me home."
Last thing he did with me and a couple of good friends, was to break out a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue, toast to a good life, good friends, good family, load up on the morphine and slip into oblivion.

MOD: I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I thought my original thread was relevant to Tony Dow going into hospice.