R. I. P.

How Jeff becks name hasn't popped in here is mind boggling when guitar legends like Clapton, Page, Slash, et al praise him as a level above the rest that says a lot.

I do remember my first Van Halen show at the Hartford civic center when they opened for Sabbath . I can still hear that classic guitar riff

RIP Eddie

pokler

Power Bottom
How Jeff becks name hasn't popped in here is mind boggling when guitar legends like Clapton, Page, Slash, et al praise him as a level above the rest that says a lot.

I do remember my first Van Halen show at the Hartford civic center when they opened for Sabbath . I can still hear that classic guitar riff

RIP Eddie
Beck is hardly a guitar wizard with the shredding and tapping virtuosity of Van Halen. Neither is Gilmore or the other guys. While each are legends in there own style I don't think of them as wizards as I do EVH.

Beck is hardly a guitar wizard with the shredding and tapping virtuosity of Van Halen. Neither is Gilmore or the other guys. While each are legends in there own style I don't think of them as wizards as I do EVH.
EVH stood on the shoulders of giants, and created his own thing. When you put everyone in their own time, Beck was kinda the EVH of his, he plays without a pick, so when he shreds, it’s more impressive to me, and his vibrato work and tonal weirdness made him as different from Clapton as EVH was to say Iommi or Buck Dharma. Gilmore is a great feel player, but I always thought that his playing was great in the context of the great songs he was playing on.

EVH stood on the shoulders of giants, and created his own thing. When you put everyone in their own time, Beck was kinda the EVH of his, he plays without a pick, so when he shreds, it’s more impressive to me, and his vibrato work and tonal weirdness made him as different from Clapton as EVH was to say Iommi or Buck Dharma. Gilmore is a great feel player, but I always thought that his playing was great in the context of the great songs he was playing on.

I love Clapton. His blues and rock and work with Cream and The Beatles, Steve Winwood Crossroads and his versatility is almost unfathomable. Who wouldn't/didn't he play with? Rekindled the careers of so many half-knowns to the white world.

But Gilmour and that Pink Floyd GIANT guitar MONSTER sound that infiltrates your psyche is truly one-of-a-kind. I never did acid because of fear but listening to his music deeply, allows me a glimpse into that dimension.

I observed a strange event one time in my car playing Floyd and Gilmour. It was a bit of a poignant scene and verified to me the tremendous power of the emotion behind the Gilmour sound. I was driving two people who were extremely deeply, emotionally attached and in love with one another. They were foreigners and knew nothing about the music I was playing. At their destination, only one would return with me in my car and the other was assigned duties for quite a while at a distant location. Because of the length of the trip, much music was played and all really good tracks. About 5 hours into the trip, both were sleeping and Gilmour starts playing "Marooned," and a bit into it, both lovers "FELT IT," simultaneously, and broke out in tears and sobbing so uncontrollably that I had to shut it down and pull the car over to allow them to compose themselves.

Like I said a few posts up, "Gilmour...I can't even find words to do him justice."

billyS

Reign of Terror
Billy boy why did you delete my tribute to Whitey.
It wasn't so much a tribute but a shot at players today that left open rebuttals from other posters.
Which I find is the case with a lot of your posts so I it's just easier to delete those types before they start a side conversation that goes down hill quickly.

It wasn't so much a tribute but a shot at players today that left open rebuttals from other posters.
Which I find is the case with a lot of your posts so I it's just easier to delete those types before they start a side conversation that goes down hill quickly.
It was meant as a loving tribute as Whitey who was a childhood hero. Comparing him to other pitchers is no different than comparing EVH to other guitarists. Why aren't you deleting those posts all of which can prompt many rebuttals and have !