Psychiatrists - Are they helpful, or be avioded?

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance. It was made up.
There is a lot of peer-reviewed research that suggests otherwise. If you're holding out vital research, why don't you get a grant and start contributing to the world instead of ranting on UG. There could be a cushy academic job in your future, Mr Bear.

I have a problem lately just accepting a requirement for drugs when there are other doctors discussing/researching natural remedies, like diet, herbs, etc. Same as I have problems taking politicians at face value about how they are spending my tax dollars. As long as "they" are making money from us, I don't trust any of them!

amen to that, brother.

As to medicating children, I grew up in the 70's, started school in 68 and finished h.s in 81. During this time, we didn't have nurses/school psychologists/drug pushers putting all these kids on Rydlin because they couldn't control/handle a rowdy child. (We had nuns and brothers; there wasn't a problem big enough they couldn't smack down) Since my school days, it seems that medicating children has become the norm in today's schools, and that bothers me, because nor I have a young child who is entering the school system within a few years, and this has me worried, esp since he has been diagnosed autistic, which in my days, would have been labled as just bashful or slow or a little different - he'll come around.

Society has become too reliant on drugs to solve their problems

Absolutely, and especially when it comes to children. Mine are in Catholic school, and they don't use drugs to deal with rowdy kids, they do it the old fashioned way (fear and guilt). Sorry about your kid, although I don't think that autism gets the same type of meds (ridalin) that ADHD kids get. To me, ADHD is just a rowdy kid that isn't afraid of authority (gross oversimplification). I'd say maybe 10% of the kids on meds really need it.

Good luck with your kid. I have heard about studies regarding diet and autism, and some of the vaccinations that are delivered in groups. Hopefully they'll find something more concrete.

Mental heath diseases are not "difficult problems in life". They are diseases! Medication is provided to help those with this disease get through their daily life.

Please dont confuse the two.
Mental health issues are just that. There must be a test to show one is suffering from a disease - ie - A blood pressure cuff is used to diagnose high blood pressure. A urine test can diagnose diabetes. Tell me what test is given to diagnose a "mental disease"?

The thing about drugs for mental disease is that many times the ones that really could benefit refuse to take them and they should because the illness is ruining thier lives and others around them and the people with minor issues that could be resolved by lifestyle change over medicate themselves.
In most cases there is someone who is causing the emotional state of the person suffering from mental issues. I.e. A wife telling a husband "you are no good, you are lazy, you should be making more money" (just an example) A parent belittling there child - You are dumb in school, you can do nothing right. This kind of second party behavior day in and day out is a major cause of mental problems, that we do not even suspect.

When that party goes away we become well. If around that person long enough, we go crazy.

Some food for thought.

There is a lot of peer-reviewed research that suggests otherwise. If you're holding out vital research, why don't you get a grant and start contributing to the world instead of ranting on UG. There could be a cushy academic job in your future, Mr Bear.
There is no peer-reviewed research. Just TV commercials by the Pharm companies.

Here are some facts: A doctor is visited by a Pharm rep who gives him samples of the drugs, and information booklets regarding these drugs. There is not a single mention of chemical imbalance in any of these medical informational booklets given to doctors. There is no scientific source that proofs that a chemical imbalance exists.

Why do all the Pharm companies advertise "chemical imbalance"? If you read the small print in publications they advertise in - they state "there is no scientific data or test to prove a person has a chemical imbalance", this is also in there TV ads (small print on the bottom) as recently mandated by the FDA.

In the early 90's the Pharm companies did a poll of lay people who were suffering from unhappiness and depression. Over 90% of the people polled blamed it on societal and situational issues going on in there life's. The majority (80%) when asked if they would take medication, said no.

The Pharm companies knew they had an uphill battle to peddle there pills, so they started there aggressive brain washing - Hollywood ads. Every TV station, every mag, newspapers, now talked about depression, unhappiness and a "chemical imbalance" causing the problem. It worked.

Now we are not unhappy because we are humans beings who go through normal life ups and downs, we now have a "chemical imbalance" They tricked us all.

Pharm companies sell billion of dollars of these drugs to us, every year.

About the grant - The Pharm companies give millions of dollars in grants to psychiatrists, who invent new illnesses, to be treated with new or present drugs.

Again, these are not the words of Eddy - All facts, We are being betrayed by those who we intrust to help us.

May I suggest you visit with a psychiatrist? I assure you, you will find the answer to your question.
I am sure they will declare me with mental illness after 5 minutes of discussion, and place me on a wonderful, expensive, addictive, medication, and an appointment to see them in a month.

Professor Irving Kirsch of the University of Connecticut under the freedom of information act, gained access to 47 studies submitted to the FDA, regarding these mental Illness drugs. What did he find?

Sixty percent of the people given the actual drug reported they felt better.

Fifty percent of the people given a placebo (sugar pill) reported they felt better.

There is a clinical insignificant difference between the placebo and the actual drug.

Give someone a pill, tell them they will feel better, and they do.

I'd say maybe 10% of the kids on meds really need it.
Great post - I would say 0% of the kids should be on meds. Many times you just take suger, caffine, energy drinks out of the diet and they are fine. As you said - the old fashion way. It also produced great Americans. Lets see what the new graduates bring to the table.

As to medicating children, I grew up in the 70's, started school in 68 and finished h.s in 81. During this time, we didn't have nurses/school psychologists/drug pushers putting all these kids on Rydlin because they couldn't control/handle a rowdy child. (We had nuns and brothers; there wasn't a problem big enough they couldn't smack down) Since my school days, it seems that medicating children has become the norm in today's schools, and that bothers me, because nor I have a young child who is entering the school system within a few years, and this has me worried, esp since he has been diagnosed autistic, which in my days, would have been labled as just bashful or slow or a little different - he'll come around.

Nice post - The drugs are a quick fix, which in the long run creates bigger problems. Every violent act in the school system has been by a child on medication.

I have a young child who is entering the school system within a few years, and this has me worried, esp since he has been diagnosed autistic, which in my days, would have been labled as just bashful or slow or a little different - he'll come around. Society has become too reliant on drugs to solve their problems
I worked in a summer camp with autistic children. There are different degree's and different types. You sound very intelligent so I am sure you know more than me on the topic.

What I can tell you is most function fine, when you work with them, and around the "problem" Do not let them medicate your child.

No, sparky, it's not withdrawal. It's my serotonin on a holiday. Without the drugs, they thought they just weren't needed.

You remind me of the Amazing Kreskin. Except you're consistently wrong about guessing about other people. Other than that little detail...I am convinced you could have your own show.
I do not guess or invent, that is the job of the phyciatrist.

I do not need to insult, I just state the facts. I do not blame you, the Pham companies have spent millions on there "chemical imbalance" campaign. It worked, it is now everyday language. Pharm companies and psychiatrists are making billions every year off of us.

Serotonin is causing withdrawal? Bad news - has nothing to do with serotonin, it has to do with physical withdrawal, to highly addictive drugs, which we have yet to find out the true side effects, as these drugs are so new. Only a matter of time until we find out the true side effects. There is already studies which links these medications to Parkinson's.

Just because you have an effect by a drug, does not mean you have a disease! Anyone taking these drugs will have an effect, some of us enjoy the effect more than others.

Here is an example - You feel nervous depressed, you go to a bar and have a few drinks. WOW you now feel great, Does this mean our alcohol levels are low? Makes as much sense as the serotonin theory.

Based on What?!?

What do you think? Are you not shocked that so many Americans have been killed while under the care of Psychiatrists. Psychiatry is an industry of death and always has been.
Eddie, what's up? You agree to a large degree with my posts, but you speak in absolutes with no backing. It was a simple question about where you got this particular piece of information, yet you reply with a rhetorical question, and then restate your "facts" as 100% common knowledge without any backup.

Psychiatry was not started as an industry of death. It was started as a way to treat people with very serious mental disorders BEFORE our civilization was flooded with chemicals in every facet of life (food additives at the top of the list, but prescription/non-prescription medicines a close second). There are genetic flaws that affect organs and systems in the body that can create chemical imbalances. These could possibly be regulated with diet, exercise, and specific natural remedies, but these are downplayed by doctors (if not outlawed by the FDA), and 90% of that knowledge was lost with the onslaught of civilization. The rest is being suppressed to protect the profits of the industry. Also, it is faster and easier to medicate than to treat, and if that make more money I can understand the tendency to medicate quickly, frequently, and excessively (even if I don't agree with it).

Hell, Indians (aka "native americans") SHOULD have the highest incidence of lung cancer, as they were smoking tobacco long before eurpoeans, but they didn't treat their crops with pesticides & herbicides, and didn't process them with benzene and acetone to "purify" & increase shelf life. Is it the tobacco that causes the cancer?

You answer with questions and absolutes, and have no basis for what you say. I used to work out after smoking pot all the time, didn't affect my workout. A friend and I even compared the effects of pot vs beer prior to working out. Yet you answer a question regarding another members workout regime with another useless reply ("Why don't you tell me? I can tell you it is hard to function in a gym while on drugs."). And it was never stated that serotonin causes withdrawal, but that serotonin levels were causing a problem (or not being managed properly by the system). And there are test to determine chemical imbalances, maybe even those that cause mental diseases.

Sadly I agree with a lot of your opinions, but you speak in absolutes that you can't back. "Only a Sith deals in absolutes". I think your late night barrages are the evil ramblings of a Sith apprentice in the middle of a manic period in a BiPolar cycle.

No offense intended, & I think you started a great thread here. I just think you need to accept that people have different opinions and experiences, and one persons point of view is rarely 100% correct (unless you are God, in which case you should go to the "Is there a God?" thread in Politics & Religion).