Psychiatrists - Are they helpful, or be avioded?

Very Nice Post

Short term I have no problem with them, and on the rare occasion there are probably people that need some lifelong chemical regulation.!
Great post, to comment on the above - It is very hard to get off of the psychotic drugs. Every month the patient/victom has to see his shrink, and pay to get a new script.

Psychiatrists do not sit you on the couch and try and find out the root of the problem, that would take to much time (and most are not trained in therapy anymore). Much easier to see you for 5 minutes and write a script. The whole field of Psychiatry is one big betrayal and has been from the beginning of its practice. There is no treatment plan, and there is no cure rate, infact most people get worse.

There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance. It was made up. Drug companies are no longer permitted by the FDA to mention that in there ads, without putting a disclaimer stating that there is no test, or means to determine a chemical imbalance.

......Is all these pills good, prbably not, can we do without, probably not.

I see it like any other illness, high blood pressure, cholesteral all must be treated.
Just a couple of comments.

1, to ask people to make a blanket statement with only two allowed answers (are they helpful or be avoided) is absurd.
2. Many (but not all) so called mental conditions are really just inappropriate or undesirable behaviors. The solution is to substitute appropriate or perhaps benign behaviors . Behavior modification guys (or gals) can help with this relatively inexpensively and quickly - 8-12 weeks usually.
3. To compare drugs for psychiatric problems to those for "any other illness, high blood pressure, cholesteral(sic) " is true - many times high blood pressure, high cholesterol and other diseases such as type II diabetes, can be successfully treated (or at least greatly alleviated) by behavior modification. The behaviors to be modified are to eat less, eat the correct foods and exercise more. So a similarity exists between mental and physical treatments.
4. For those conditions that are a result of some kind of chemical imbalance in the brain drugs may be appropriate, IMHO.

Disclaimer - I am not a medial type.

I've suffered varying degrees of depression since I was a child. I didn't get treatment for it until I was in my late 20s. There is no question that medication has improved my life. It may not be for everybody, but works for me.
Did you try anything else? There is a reason why you are depressed which needs to be addressed. These medications sooner or later will turn on you.

Just a couple of comments.

1, to ask people to make a blanket statement with only two allowed answers (are they helpful or be avoided) is absurd.

4. For those conditions that are a result of some kind of chemical imbalance in the brain drugs may be appropriate, IMHO.
Great post, On item 1 - It was not meant as a blanket statement - a point of discussion which we are all engaged in.

Item 4 - No such thing as a chemical imbalance. No test to prove it. All made up.

I see it like any other illness, high blood pressure, cholesteral all must be treated.

There are tests to determine high blood pressure high cholesteral. If untreated they can kill you.

Did you know that twice the amount of people have been killed under the care of a psyciatrist, then all the wars combined, since the Spanish American war.

Everything I state in all my posts are facts. Not made up words of Eddy.

Last edited:
My shrink is a miracle worker

I go to an old school shrink who with one session helped and changed my life. Yes, he believes in medication but he is excellent at getting to the root of the festering problem and purging it out. He is very, very old (early 90's) and I could never replace him when he goes. He was ill for months and is back but not taking new patients right now. He is an old fashioned no nonsense mental healer. The problem is he is the last of his kind.

May a similar sentiment about you be expressed by someone in the way distant future when perhaps chemicals and technology have changed the "hobby" to an extent that what happens now has become an anachronism.

Just to Clarify

I absolutely believe there is a place for prescription medication in our society/lives.

However, I think all those with the power to prescribe, be it psychiatric, adolescent, or general practitioner, are too quick on the draw these days. There are even studies showing that the quick antibiotic prescription (e.g., penicillin) has led to more tolerant strains of bacteria/virus, and that eventually the "natural" human will be unable to fight "normal" germs without medication.

If you have a condition that was 100% helped by medication, god bless the pills (and good for you). But there are side effects to everything, even good things, and if possible I would hate to be dependent on a pill for the rest of my life (they are trying to get me on cholesterol meds, but I am trying diet first).

I made a point to say there is a place for everything, and I absolutely believe in chemical imbalances, but I think they can be managed (in the long term) with diet/exercise/behavior, and that chemicals should be for short term at best.

Mental heath diseases are not "difficult problems in life". They are diseases! Medication is provided to help those with this disease get through their daily life.

Please dont confuse the two.
The only issue I have with this is that "diseases" are usually killed by medications (e.g., bacteria and penicillin). Mental "diseases" are never (or rarely) cured by medication, they are controlled. I agree that this is important, and has obviously given you (and many) a better quality of life (QOL). But wouldn't you like to have that QOL without chemicals? If it were possible, I would think that would be a no brainer.

I have a problem lately just accepting a requirement for drugs when there are other doctors discussing/researching natural remedies, like diet, herbs, etc. Same as I have problems taking politicians at face value about how they are spending my tax dollars. As long as "they" are making money from us, I don't trust any of them!

The thing about drugs for mental disease is that many times the ones that really could benefit refuse to take them and they should because the illness is ruining thier lives and others around them and the people with minor issues that could be resolved by lifestyle change over medicate themselves.

That is known as withdrawal. Hard to get of off any addictive medication.
No, sparky, it's not withdrawal. It's my serotonin on a holiday. Without the drugs, they thought they just weren't needed.

You remind me of the Amazing Kreskin. Except you're consistently wrong about guessing about other people. Other than that little detail...I am convinced you could have your own show.

Some of us react differently to anxiety. And that can push us to more depressive thoughts. About 17 years ago, I had a debilitating anxiety attack and I just shut down. I could barely move. A combination of therapy + meds got me back to being fully functional and holding my anxiety/depression in check. And I am hardly in a "smiley state" -- hell, just read some of my posts. Today, I am reasonably normal: I hold down a job, I whore around, I visit my friends and family, etc.

The "horror" stories get the good press. Stories like mine are boring and don't make for good copy.

An interesting footnote, when my shrink tried to take me off my meds, it wasn't a pretty story...so I got back on and everything righted itself.

I feel you Duckman.

There was a point, about 4 years ago, when I said WTF am I suppose to do? Take pills for the rest of my life? Hell no!!! thats no way to live..so I stopped.

Well, I wasnt living very much off my meds.

I couldnt function. I couldnt leave my house. I went days not getting out of bed ( except to wizz)

The attacks were more unbearable, seemed like triple, and the mania was off the chain. I was like the Tazmanian devil....

I simply wouldnt be a fully functionally human being without my mental health medications. And I kind of enjoy feeling good.

Last edited:
I feel you Duckman.

There was a point, about 4 years ago, when I said WTF am I suppose to do? Take pills for the rest of my life? Hell no!!! thats no way to live..so I stopped.

W
Just curious - did you just stop cold turkey or did you discuss with your MD's the best way to reduce and perhaps stop the med's?