Psychiatrists - Are they helpful, or be avioded?

From all the advertising on TV and publications about wonder drugs to help "depression" and our children who are now given all kinds of drugs for all kinds of normal child behavior, I have come to the conclusion that there is something very wrong going on.

After much research I have come to the conclusion that Psychiatrists do not help the people they treat. They almost always prescribe drugs, which are some of the most deadly pharmaceuticals available today, and in most cases there patients/victims stay on for life. I know of many people on medications prescribed by physiatrist's, and they all seem to be in a zombie or smiley state, not getting better.

Seven years ago, when I was going through my divorce, I had trouble sleeping. My primary care doctor referred to a Physiatrist. He gave me a medication called Effixer. Not only did I feel like shit, I also had thoughts of suicide. I stopped the medication, and went to the pharmacy and purchased some over the counter sleep aids. The divorce is over, I sleep fine, and am better than ever.

Would love to hear what other people think.

Are the medications given by Psychiatrists a good thing?

Should so many kids be medicated?

Are we being betrayed by the psychiatrists and pharmaceuticals companies so they can line there pockets with cash?

What has your personal experience, as well as; friends and family experiences been with Psychiatrists?

All doctors get kick backs from pharmaceutical companies, so do the schools, I know this because my ex's mother worked at a school & showed me documents when they wanted to put my lil' brother on Ritalin because he told them he didn't like school & he seemed "depressed". Also I have many doctors as clients, & I am enrolled in a college that is strictly oriental medicine so I have read some research there. I am not going to say all doctors (psychiatrists) are money driven but in my experience with them they seem to be & they also seem to be more opinionated then stating facts.

It doesn't make sense to me when someone has a problem & you put them on med's so that they relax & not care at the moment that the med's are working but once it wears off you feel like shit again & then you think you need it so you become mentally addicted & it's a vicious cycle.

I can't give too many examples (I just went back to school & it is a 7 yr program) but it's been proven that every disease, infection, sickness is cureable by something in nature.

I know too many people to list of who are prescribed med's & they are not better they just think they are or have given up.

Eddiebearny- I'm glad your better.

it's the american way. what's the quickest, easiest and most profitable way to "fix" the problem? not only do they not help your condition, you lose your sex drive as well. i have a friend who used to be the biggest whoremaster in the world, he was prescribed one of those elephant tranquilizers and now all he does is sit in front of his tv all day. doesn't want to do anything.

I am not going to say all doctors (psychiatrists) are money driven but in my experience with them they seem to be & they also seem to be more opinionated then stating facts..
Psychiatrists are not only money driven, but are also very evil. They prey on the weak, old, and now the young.

Did you know that in the last ten years, virtually ever violent act committed in schools was perpetrated by a person who either had taken or was currently taken a psychiatric drug?

No they shouldn't. The schools push it so they can control the 'problem' kids easier.
Hey Billy - The schools do believe that peddling pills is a great method of controling our kids, but it backfires...

Who can forget Eric Harris 16, and 17-year-old Dylan Klebold both students at Columbine High School, Colorado. They were both taking antidepressant drugs known to cause mania (violent behavior). Harris even wrote about a killing spree dream and handed it in to the psychology teacher. Not long after, Harris and Klebold acted out the dream by shooting and killing 12 students and a teacher, and wounding 23 others.

I have been seeing a shrink on and off for the last 12 years.

I am bipolar, O.C.D, suffer from debilitating anxiety attacks, and recovering from PTSD. ( I am one crazy bitch)

I have consistently seen a psychiatrist for the last 4 years. I would be locked in a padded room if not for my medications. ( I take 5 a day)

Someone said its quick easiest etc, well it is not. It can take months before your meds work, and years before they find the correct medication for you. (It took my docs 12)

And I truly believe children , If NEEDED, should be medicated.

Some of us react differently to anxiety. And that can push us to more depressive thoughts. About 17 years ago, I had a debilitating anxiety attack and I just shut down. I could barely move. A combination of therapy + meds got me back to being fully functional and holding my anxiety/depression in check. And I am hardly in a "smiley state" -- hell, just read some of my posts. Today, I am reasonably normal: I hold down a job, I whore around, I visit my friends and family, etc.

The "horror" stories get the good press. Stories like mine are boring and don't make for good copy.

An interesting footnote, when my shrink tried to take me off my meds, it wasn't a pretty story...so I got back on and everything righted itself.

Some of us react differently to anxiety. And that can push us to more depressive thoughts. About 17 years ago, I had a debilitating anxiety attack and I just shut down. I could barely move. A combination of therapy + meds got me back to being fully functional and holding my anxiety/depression in check. And I am hardly in a "smiley state" -- hell, just read some of my posts. Today, I am reasonably normal: I hold down a job, I whore around, I visit my friends and family, etc.
If you would of exercised you would of proberly of had the same result, get of the meds.

The "horror" stories get the good press. Stories like mine are boring and don't make for good copy.
All that gets press is psychotic drugs. Watch any TV channel and see how much advertising the Pharm companies spend. Not including Newspapers and radio, and magazines.

The news media would not dare expose the industry, they make to much money of it!

Did you know 100,000 Americans have died as a direct effect of anti-psychotic drugs?

Did you know 20 billion dollars are spent worldwide on anti-depressants?

I am giving you the mild facts

I have been seeing a shrink on and off for the last 12 years.

I am bipolar, O.C.D, suffer from debilitating anxiety attacks, and recovering from PTSD. ( I am one crazy bitch)
No one denies that people can have difficult problems in their lives, that at times they can be mentally unstable. Mental health care is therefore both valid and necessary. However, the emphasis must be on workable mental healing methods that improve and strengthen individuals and thereby society by restoring people to personal strength, ability, competence, confidence, stability, responsibility and spiritual well-being.

And I truly believe children , If NEEDED, should be medicated.
17 million kids are now on these drugs? Is there not something wrong with that number. Placing children on drugs which they will be addicted to for life? Once started, it is very hard to get off of these drugs, which have never cured a single child.

Drugs are BAD...

And not just the ones the shrinks prescribe.

Short term I have no problem with them, and on the rare occasion there are probably people that need some lifelong chemical regulation. BUT, there is a lot of discussion about whether many of these "conditions" are actually caused by the onslaught of chemicals that we are exposed to daily (i.e., read the ingredients of 99% of the food & beverages you eat and give to kids, not to mention hormones, pesticides, & herbicides that almost certainly leave residues in food). Even in minute quantities, taken on a daily basis all this chemical crap that we put in ourselves must add up.

SO, the food and health industry give you chemicals daily that cause physical and mental ailments, and them the pychiatric/pharm industry gives you more drugs/chemicals to counteract the other chemicals, and suddenly you are on 5-10 prescriptions daily for the rest of your life, you never feel 100%, and top executives are getting rich at our expense.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the shrinks (and others) believe that what they are doing will help, but I also think that the money they are getting to push the drugs makes it easier to believe. Especially when their peers are doing research to prove that there are natural cures to almost everything, but then the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies wouldn't be able to make the billions (if not trillions) that they are making.

See a psychologist. They don't prescribe. Except once when he told me that smoking some pot and listening to Floyd was therapeutic (he used Floyd in his therapy, but not weed)!

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
I've suffered varying degrees of depression since I was a child. I didn't get treatment for it until I was in my late 20s. There is no question that medication has improved my life. It may not be for everybody, but works for me.

Those of you who say psychiatric drugs shouldn't be prescribed remind me of the people who opposed heart surgery as being against "God's will", or people who object to childhood vaccinations and would rather their children suffer from diseases like measles or rubella.

You probably also believe the world is flat.

Seven years ago, when I was going through my divorce, I had trouble sleeping. My primary care doctor referred to a Physiatrist. He gave me a medication called Effixer. Not only did I feel like shit, I also had thoughts of suicide. I stopped the medication, and went to the pharmacy and purchased some over the counter sleep aids. The divorce is over, I sleep fine, and am better than ever.
I didnt go through a divorce but some years ago, I was just in one miserable mood. Didn't feel like doing anything. So I was prescribed EFFEXOR as well. Some changes in life style, yes. I don't get into arguments any longer. But sleeping has been a problem before Effexor and during Effexor. I use AMBIEN and have been on that so some time. Great knock-out stuff. But understand addictive. But hey otherwise I'm up all night.

Is all these pills good, prbably not, can we do without, probably not.

I see it like any other illness, high blood pressure, cholesteral all must be treated.

Those of you who say psychiatric drugs shouldn't be prescribed remind me of the people who opposed heart surgery as being against "God's will", or people who object to childhood vaccinations and would rather their children suffer from diseases like measles or rubella.

You probably also believe the world is flat.

Heart Surgery is used in an attempt to prolong life, with a anticipated outcome, Heart surgery is also the last resort. Before a Cardiologist operates on ones heart, the patient is given dozens of tests, to ensure that the heart is damaged - EKG. Blood work, Echocardiogram, MRI, stress test, to name a few. Tell me one test that a Psychiatrist gives which shows a need for medication.

Vaccinations have a purpose, they prevent an illness. Psychiatric drugs destroy child's mind, and addicts them to drugs.

Did you know that Ritilin is classified by the DEA as a controlled substance on the same level of Heroin and cocaine. Should this be prescribed to our children?