perfect record

in brideshead . . .

sebastian flyte reads something that says like:

who is as moved by a flower as a cathedral?

and he replies: why, i am.

work of human hands = good,
work of g-d = better,
provision = g-d's work mucked by human hands (like so many things),
hvb

Last edited:
Originally posted by justme
Anything can be art.
No, I don't believe that this is true. I believe that one may find beauty in almost anything, but that doesn't make it art. Art is the product of the artist's sublimation of an experience, feeling, idea, or perception which through his mastery of the chosen form transforms this material into a thing of beauty and a representation of an eternal truth. Art broadens our perceptions of that object, ourselves, and of the world around us.

And, I do not limit my use of the word beauty to the simplistic sense of classical beauty but expand that to say that anything which opens our spirits and minds to a broader perception of our lives and ourselves even if it be a glimpse into things evil and horrible in the human spirit can by unflinching honesty and integrity of design be in essence beautiful.

In case justme is going to start talking about urinals . . . .

Duchamp's readymades weren't art until they were made into art by an artist pursuant to an esthetic theory.

Last edited:
wo/man + g-d =

art. simple enough. i don't know what i like, but i know art. lots of people can do it, even (barf) yoko ono produced art. now good art . . .

wtf is the name of ernst's madonna whacking baby j? it looks exactly like parmagianino's madonna with the long neck. help please.

da da was an artist,
hvb

I always thought something was considered "art" if or when you could actually sell it.

PT Barnum may have had a famous quote about that as well.

Last edited:
nope . . .

madonna whacking the baby jesus. you can definitely tell what's going on. in the mod art museum in koln. maybe not ernst? i think it is though.

his bottom her hand,
hvb

if not google, what, homer?

northern light,
hvb

o smegma zero,

rather like goebbels: when i hear the word culture i reach for my gun. such a pithy statement from such a bad man. it's a thin line b/t this and that.

good cover 4 annie,
hvb

Last edited:
getting back to "perfect records" ....

As far as rap is concerned, it's much more difficult to come up with a list cuz rap is very regional (east-west coast, south, etc). There's excellent stuff from artists in Brooklyn that would never fly in Decatur or Compton, and vice versa. Having said that, here's an admittedly East Coast biased version of "classic" rap records:

Illmatic - Nasty Nas
Enter The Wu Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu Tang Clan
Tical - Method Man
Only Built For Cuban Linx - Raekwon feat. Ghost Face
Life After Death - Notorious B.I.G.
It's Dark and Hell Is Hot - DMX
The Chronic - Dr. Dre
The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
The Infamous - Mobb Deep
Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
Black Sunday - Cypress Hill
House of Pain - House of Pain
License to Ill - Beastie Boys
Criminal Minded - Boogie Down Productions
Strictly Business - EPMD
Bigger and Deffer - LL Cool J
It Takes a Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.
Paid In Full - Eric B. and Rakim
Tougher Than Leather - Run DMC
Run DMC - Run DMC
Raising Hell - Run DMC
Beat Street - Movie Soundtrack
Breakin - Movie Soundtrack
Krush Groove - Movie Soundtrack
As Nasty As They Wanna Be - 2 Live Crew

and,

ANYTHING EVER PUT OUT BY THE ONE AND ONLY TUPAC

Re: wo/man + g-d =

Originally posted by h. von bingen
art. simple enough. i don't know what i like, but i know art. lots of people can do it, even (barf) yoko ono produced art. now good art . . .

And now some quotes from the dictionary:

Art:

1) The systematic application of knowledge or skill in effecting a desired result

2) The application of skill to the production of the beautiful by imitation or design, or an occupation in which skill is so employed, as in painting and sculpture; one of the fine arts.

3) Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

4) The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.

5) High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.

If one adheres to the meaning of the word I don't think you can argue that lots of people can do it or that Yoko created it. But regardless of that, I think the point is that almost anyone can bake a cake but it takes exceptional skill and art to make one that is truly delicious.

Last edited: