Not Amused

Isn't bourbon one of the ingredients of a Manhattan? (I was a waitress in a bar in college and my memory is good for trivia like this) And isn't a Manhattan named after N.Y.C.'s prized Island where the real estate is as good as gold? Then I guess K.S. has a point in a literal and figurative sense, both. But give me a dram of the Buie any time :) I like the "delicate liquer"of the Isle of Skye (a relative new invention as of 1745)

Oz, I think that the guy in the car was the heir to the throne of Harrod's (Herod is an apt pun here?) and his father is a wealthy scion of Arabic descent and the blue bloods (royals) hate that family's guts and want them out of Britian. I hadn't heard that about the poor guy's member being severed (ouch,my god) but that was a horrible accident and I cried for Di and all of them when it happened. (And I have a sneaking suspicion that the royal family didn't mind so much losing the ex-Princess of Wales. She was a thorn in their side to say the least - and they have their hands full now that their tax free status is over)

But I have no doubt Di was not bad in the 'head' department as you mentioned. Something about her...the way she looked at the camera with a light in her eyes, unsure and brazen at the same time; that smile which went slightly off to the side in a secret, sexy little smirk, that little girl's hope and desire of being able to please...that sensual look of 'knowledge' on her otherwise innocent face...she was a lady meant for the bedroom I always thought ...and Charles is such an ass! But then again I'm sure I don't know the whole story.

[Edited by Candide on 05-20-2001 at 05:59 PM]

JohnJ

Repentant Sinner
Like the way Candi thinks...

I like how you depict Di being a lady in the pulic, but a possible sex kitten waiting to be unleashed...

Hmmm is there a lil something like that in you... makes me think there is....

John

Kentucky Bourbon

Originally posted by K.S.
For good whiskey, one needs to look to Kentucky. Fuck scotch - it's all about BOURBON.

;-)
Being born and raised in Louisville, I would have to agree whole heartedly.

I am however, distraught at the notion I am not normal, even it its true.

foX

HDB, Thanks! I do have Maker's Mark here at home - because that's what I can afford.

I also agree that most people cannot really discern the difference between various wines or scotches (I keep Glenlivet at my house.) As long as it's not the "well drink" stuff, it should be good.

Hmmmmmmm How about a .....

A terrific Bloody Mary there are two places on the Island that do them like none other.
Captain Bills( Bayshore area)- makes them in long tall glasses with horseradish and a Long Stalk of Celery and a real Shirmp with the tail on. They put that Shrimp hanging over the glass w/ slice of Lemon as well . So cool and yummy indeed.
The Blue Parrot( East Hampton) also made with Horseradish and I don't know what else they use might be a quality Vodka I'm sure but they are great and a Long Stalk of Celery too.
Kiss
Kiss,
&
Hoovies
Paige

I can't stand the taste of beer,wine gives me a hangover. I think I'll stick to my old buddy Jack.He's been there for me when no one else wanted to, he gets me all warmed up and boy does he get me going.

mercy,

i've got some JD direct from the plant thats not available anywhere.....135 proof and it's colorless. taste the same though......maybe we should meet and toss back a few.

oz :cool:..............who laughs at people who brag about having green label JD(it's not available in ny) when it's soo much weaker. and also available all over the south.

Horndogbudda --

Re: "Also, many knowledgeable folks will tell you that whisky does not get any mellower nor any more complex once it reaches the age of 15-18 years (depending upon distillers)."

Well, that is certainly one commonly espoused opinion, but far from fact as far as I'm concerned.

I am hardly an expert when it comes to whisky and I can absolutely discern the difference between 18 and 25 yr old whiskies from distillers with whom I am familiar. I also have some considerably older bottles from Macallan and other distillers that I think just about anyone could clearly determine taste different that their younger bretheren.

You are absolutely correct though that whisky does not continue to age once it has left the cask.

--WSB

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Originally posted by Ozzy
mercy,

i've got some JD direct from the plant thats not available anywhere.....135 proof and it's colorless. taste the same though......maybe we should meet and toss back a few.

oz :cool:..............who laughs at people who brag about having green label JD(it's not available in ny) when it's soo much weaker. and also available all over the south.
Good ole Dr. Jack!
Why in hell would anyone brag about Green label Jack? Id like to try some of that 135 sometime.
Take care HP

Come on Oz, tell Mercy the truth. You make that sh*t in your back yard. Of course, it's not like anyone would know the difference though at 135 proof. Hope you own a fire extinguisher - sounds like dangerous stuff.

whooowaaah,

WSB

[Edited by wsb on 05-21-2001 at 06:20 PM]

JohnJ

Repentant Sinner
Ummm Mercy....

Me.... you... back of the bar at the get together.... doing shots of JD purely to test your theory as to which head it goes to....

;)

John

it's in a crystal decanter with the jack daniels logo embossed on it. they make it once every few years or so(i think 1,000 bottles) and give it out to their top customers and sales people. i know someone who is a big shot for a major liquor store chain and he gave me two of them. every now and then you will see one in a buy rite or one of those chain stores.

there's also something called "barrel house" which is produced also once every few years. it can be bought in your local store and it's supposedly aged in the original barrels they used 150 years ago and aged longer. it's 96 or 98 proof as opposed to 90 that JD is usualy bottled at, unless you have green label which is 84 proof.

Originally posted by Ozzy
there's also something called "barrel house" which is produced also once every few years. it can be bought in your local store and it's supposedly aged in the original barrels they used 150 years ago and aged longer. it's 96 or 98 proof as opposed to 90 that JD is usualy bottled at, unless you have green label which is 84 proof.
Now we can move this back to Whiskey. When in London, those who desire will find it profitable to hie to the Covent Gardent Whiskey Shop. Even at the distillery's I've not seen cask strength whiskey's for sale. These are whiskey's that are not blended at all (even single malt whiskeys are blended between barrells, and watered to an appropriate proof), and, as such, are a bit unpredictable. My favorite right now is a 25 year old Linkwood, aged in sherry, which is, unfortunately, no longer available (the cask ran out). According to the label, it is proof 127.8 (63.9% alcohol). Those who like the big peaty whiskeys wouldn't be overly impressed with this one, but that adds to the horse race.

One other thing: as always, it's best to get someone else to pay for the trip to London:)

Re: Ummm Mercy....

Originally posted by JohnJ
Me.... you... back of the bar at the get together.... doing shots of JD purely to test your theory as to which head it goes to....

;)

John
The only problem is that once I hit the 7th shot,(and I'm talking real sized shots not those miniature ones they serve in some of the downtown bars,)well I have to sit for a while because then I have a tendency to get TOO friendly and not notice that I'm doing it. Don't want to get accused of sexual harassment.

justme

homo economicus
With wine and spirits, I think the important thing is to slowly develop your palate. I agree that most people can't distinguish wines, but by and large that's because most people don't know what to look for. The thing is, though, that unless you're willing to devote sufficient amount of time and concentration to a quality beverage, it doen't really make any sense to drink it - may as well go for the cheap stuff. While in a whiskey bar once, I saw a guy take a shot of Springbank 21 and I wanted to walk over and smack him. I never understand people that order $100 dollar bottles of wine to go with lunch - it's just an insult to the wine. Still, if you're willing to put in the patience and effort, I think the differences become obvious*.

* - to depart, a bit, from the thread... my favorite spirit (that I've tried, obviously) is Pierre Ferand's Abel. Now, the differnce between the Abel (45 years) and the Selection des Anges (30 years) is almost as big as that between the products of two different distilleries.

Originally posted by justme
While in a whiskey bar once, I saw a guy take a shot of Springbank 21 and I wanted to walk over and smack him. I never understand people that order $100 dollar bottles of wine to go with lunch - it's just an insult to the wine. Still, if you're willing to put in the patience and effort, I think the differences become obvious*.
Last time I was in Vegas, I was walking past one of the bars at the Bellagio when I noticed their Scotch collection. I gamble enough there that they comp me all my drinks even when I'm not at the tables, so I sat down and pondered the selection for a little while, finally deciding to have the Macallan 25, which I don't get my hands on too often. (I don't drink while I'm gambling, as both require too much attention, especially when drinking good Scotch.)

Based on the expression on my face when I saw the Scotch collection, and the way I handled the drink once I got it, the bartender made a comment about it being nice to have someone drinking the stuff who actually appreciated it. Apparently, she got lots of people around there who would ask for a Scotch list, then order the most expensive one on the rocks, or with soda. The thought of it nearly made me sick, but getting to sample all their selections for free over the course of my stay made up for it.