Not Amused

JM --

I have some very fine, old and expensive bottles from the Macallan Distilleries, which is my top choice. I like everything they make. If I were in a bar, I would order the 25 yr. or the 12 yr over the 18yr, which I don't like as much. Macallan also makes a blended version which is quite good.

Other's I like include Bunnahabhain, Grouse, Balvenie and Cardu (which is a grain whisky).

In terms of Irish whiskies, I actually like Jamesons - I was just kidding with the Judge.

Don't really care for any of the American variations.

Slainte,

WSB

Hi Candi --

Yes, that was Gaelic. I wished the judge "health for life". I'm sure you noticed that I translated yours and I couldn't help throwing in the "wet mouth" reference after your mention of bj's.

Thankfully, the Irish (and the Scots to a certain extent)keep alive that aspect of their culture by teaching it in school, so that the country doesn't become completely anglicized and accepting of the culture of their historic oppressors.

Take care,

WSB

WSB - You say it so much better than "Brave Heart" And I'm sure you look better in blue.

DId you ever see "Mrs. Brown"? About the relationship between Queen Victoria and her Scottish horse breeder? After Prince Albert died, Queen Vicky was in need of curing a man of his "DSB" as Slinky would say :) ...but of course in her royal, role-model position and in that era of consumate female prudery which is named after her...she wasn't about to get any. So she hung out with her well hung stable groom (he had a fancier title then that though) because he helped her get over her grief for her husband and he cheered her up because he treated her like a woman and not a queen. So, her son, the Prince of Wales had him beaten to a pulp because his Mom liked him too much and then he told Mom (Victoria) that Brown was drunk and picked a fight. I almost threw my popcorn at the movie screen during that scene - those British can sure ruin a love story...sigh.....ooops...Sorry Slinky I forgot...off topic...ok, ok I'm going away now! :)

P.S. I just realized that Queen Victoria probably never even could imagine a b.j. let alone actually give a guy one...Royalty has it's disadvantages I guess.

but i bet lady Di gave one hell of a bj. what do you think distracted that driver.........

if you believe those internet autopsy photos and reports....some claim the princes dick was severed???????

gee....... i wonder how that happened?

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Originally posted by wsb
HP --

You are correct on the lack of an "e" and in the use of the full term on the labels. The fact still remains though that no self-respecting Scot would refer to the contents of the bottle as "scotch". While I am not sure, my understanding is that the term "scotch" and the addition of the "e" to whisky are American innovations.

--WSB
Are you saying that the Scottish distillers, who you agree label their product as "Scotch Whisky", are not self-respecting?
take care HP

Sorry if I've been unclear. In my view, when describing whisky from Scotland:

a) "scotch whisky" or "scotch whiskey" = OK

b) "whisky" or "whiskey" = OK

c) "scotch" = NG

The term "scotch" is used in a variety of contexts throughout Scotland to describe things of Scottish origin, although traditionalists like myself prefer the term "Scots", as in the traditional language of Scotland is Scots, not Scottish or, heaven forbid, Scotch.

Candi --

Yes, I saw "Mrs. Brown" on the big screen as well and liked it very much. I thought the selection of Billy Connolly, a well-known commedian in Scotland, for the role of Mr. Brown was an excellent choice.

Regards,

WSB

[Edited by wsb on 05-17-2001 at 05:51 PM]

justme

homo economicus
I've never really understood the reverence towards McAllen (a reverence which leads to, imho, tremendously inflated prices). Balvenie and Cardu are oft ordered favs. I'll have to try the other two.

While the SB25 is the best scotch I've had (again, imho), I tend to order much less expensive Islays.

I remember (and am still confounded by) your dislike of new world whiskey.

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Originally posted by wsb
Sorry if I've been unclear. In my view, when describing whisky from Scotland:

a) "scotch whisky" or "scotch whiskey" = OK

b) "whisky" or "whiskey" = OK

c) "scotch" = NG

The term "scotch" is used in a variety of contexts throughout Scotland to describe things of Scottish origin, although traditionalists like myself prefer the term "Scots", as in the traditional language of Scotland is Scots, not Scottish or, heaven forbid, Scotch.

I think I have it now, but isnt it all so semantic? Well, I do agree about one thing: if its not Scottish, its crap!
hp

JM --

SB25??? = Springbank or did the APM start his own distillery???

If you like the Islay malts, you'd probably like Bunnahabhain, as it comes from Argyll. Not always easy to find in the states, unless you are in a place that has a large whisky selection.

HP --

Funny :)

Best,

WSB

I like Knob Creek. I've had some other bourbons that I like a lot, but they were very boutiquey sorts that you don't see much in stores, so I've forgotten their names.

I also like McCallan (or however you spell it). And Knokando (or however you spell it.)

I do use blended Canadian whiskey in mixed drinks.

Lately, though, I've been into Tanqueray martini's. This is not good, really, as I've also been into running and lifting weights and they don't go very well together.

Someone just emailed this to me today:

Seven New York City bartenders were asked if they could nail a woman's
personality based on what she drinks. Though interviewed separately, they
concurred on almost all counts.

Drink: Beer
Personality: Casual, low-maintenance, down to earth.
Your Approach:
Challenge her to a game of pool.

Drink: Blender Drinks
Personality: Flaky, whiny, annoying, a pain in the butt.
Your Approach: Avoid her, unless you want to be her cabin boy.

Drink: Mixed Drinks
Personality: Older, more refined, high maintenance, very picky, knows
exactly what she wants.
Your Approach: You won't have to approach her; if she is interested, she'll
send you a drink.

Drink: Wine (does not include White Zinfandel, see below)
Personality: Conservative and classy, sophisticated yet giggles.
Your Approach: Tell her you love to travel and spend quiet evenings with
friends.

Drink: White Zinfandel
Personality: Easy, thinks she is classy and sophisticated, but actually has
no clue.
Your Approach: Make her feel smarter than she is; this should be an easy
target.

Drink: Shots
Personality: Likes to hang with frat-boy pals and is looking to get totally
drunk ... and naked.
Your Approach: Easiest hit in the joint. You have been blessed this evening.
Nothing to do but wait. However, be careful not to make her mad!

Then there is the male addendum. The deal with guys is, as always, very
simple and clear cut:

Domestic Beer: He's poor and wants sex.

Imported Beer: He likes good beer and wants sex.

Wine: He's hoping that the wine thing will give him a sophisticated image to
help him get sex.

Whiskey: He doesn't give a hoot about anything but getting sex.

Tequila: He is thinking he has a chance with the toothless waitress.

White Zinfandel: He's gay (and looking to have sex).

i have 4 unopened bottles of MARTIN"S 20 year old scotch whisky thats been sitting on a shelf on my (used to be my dads) bar for over 40 yrs. i'd be glad to open a bottle if you want to have a drink one night......

that includes you too wsb.

i also have a few bottles of 17-25 yr ballantines, also over 40 yrs on the shelf. what can i say, my dad likes his "pinch".

i gotta start making room for the "cheap shit", it does taste soo much better.

justme

homo economicus
KS - Knob Creek's good stuff (it's become my roomate's favorite mixing whiskey). Saw the female beverage analysis a few years ago, hadn't seen the male addendum until today. Thanks. I've always thought of marini's as the adult vesion of a frat kid's tequila shot - a way to get drunk quickly (to this end, I come from the school that dictates that a martini should take no more than two 'sips' to finish). Have you tried one made with Citadell, a French!? gin which I think significantly outperforms Tanq in a martini... although the new Tanq 10 comes close.

WSB - I'll have to try it out. There's a liquor store in town that can usually special order about anything (that they don't have in their rather impressive everyday stock).

Oz - The cheap stuff definitely has its place.

- justme (beginning to feel like an alcy)

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Ozzy,
I know what you mean, but it just sounds funny to hear about 20 year old bottle of Scotch Whisky which has been sitting on a shelf for 40 years.

[Edited by slinkybender on 05-17-2001 at 08:20 PM]

well you didn't think that i went out and bought that vile crap did you?

my dad kept a well stocked bar since before i was born......

the above scotch, a case each of napoleon & courvoisier cognac and a few bottles of 25 yr old ambassader are all thats left. i polished off all the good stuff when i was a kid.

sb....I KNOW (i'm not that low class), but isn't it cool to blow off an inch of dust before you open the bottle? at least i didn't say *A* 20yr old bottle on the shelf for 40 yrs.

wsb,
so if you're bringing A1N, who's my date gonna be......candie maybe? i'm sure you could convince her i'm an ok guy.

[Edited by Ozzy on 05-17-2001 at 08:51 PM]

Here is my contribution to the body of UG knowledge about whisky: according to the main guys at both Glen Turret (near Gleneagles, one of the world's supremely awesome places to rest one's head between bouts of golf and whisky drinking) and Laphroaig, whisky (unlike fine wine) does NOT continue to age once it has been bottled. Also, many knowledgeable folks will tell you that whisky does not get any mellower nor any more complex once it reaches the age of 15-18 years (depending upon distillers). In other words, there is little need (except for ego stroking) to go for the extra spend in buying older whiskeys because your palate would very likely be unable to distinguish between 18 and 25 y.o. whiskeys. (I think if they were to participate in a blind taste test, most people wouldn't be able to distinguish betweeen 12 y.o. and 25 y.o. whisky or whiskey.) (Just as some self-proclaimed wine enthusiasts would not be able to tell pinot noir from cabernet sauvignon from zinfandel with 100% accuracy in a truly blinded test. If you think I'm wrong, try it -- have a friend pour twelve samples of wine that include four pinots, four cabs, and four zins (you need someone else to set this up because you will be unable to refrain from cheating) -- unless the samples are uncharacteristic (e.g., corked or cooked or otherwise spoiled, etc.) I will wager that you will not pick out all twelve accurately.

Sidebar to KS: IMO, small barrel bourbons are America's distilled gift to the world -- they offer counter balance to Armagnac and single malt whisky. (If you like Knob Creek, you might try Maker's Mark -- it's a touch sweeter than Knob Creek but offers smooth complexity and rich nuttiness at a much gentler price.)

Just watch out for the cogeners -- if you allow too many of them through the door in a short period of time, they tend to make your next morning a disaster.