New Music you've come to appreciate

Originally posted by justme
(Everything is Wrong is better than Play)
Six of one . . .

My own personal preferences lead me away from some of Everything's dancier moments, but overall I probably can't argue with you.

JL,

Speaking of who Led Zep listens to, I offer this quote:

"Chris Thile? You know Chris Thile, the mandolinist, the young kid? Oh, he's utterly fantastic!"

John Paul Jones, former bassist for Led Zep

( Couldn't help it. You gave me the opening )

Originally posted by justlooking
What do I care what the perpetrators of "Stairway to Heaven" listen to?
That's interesting, because one of the ways that I've found out about different types of music was by reading interviews with musicians, and seeing what their influences were. As a teenager listening to Zeppelin, when I read how much they loved Howlin 'Wolf, or Gene Pitney, or Otis Rush, that inspired me to check those artists out

That's my point. I was recommending that people who like Zep listen to what Zep listens to. And to leave me out of it. (Although I like Howlin Wolf and Otis Rush and Gene Pitney if anybody cares.)

Actually, though, while I'm saying things that nobody cares about, I should mention that I think Zep's "When the Levee Breaks" is the single greatest white blooze recording of all time.

While we're talking Zep

The joy I get from listening to Heartbreaker/Livin' Lovin' Maid and Communication Breakdown are enough to eradicate any misgivings Stairway and some of their other bloated compositions give me about their music. I also like Wearin' and Tearin' from Coda, which was the first Zeppelin disc I ever owned, having purchased it as a formative on vinyl at a neighbors garage sale. Their heyday occurred just prior to my gaining an ability to competently process music. Coda as a whole was so underwhelming that I immediately gravitated toward the Pistols, Black Flag and Joy Division, and never returned to Zep until almost a decade later.

I also like a couple of Plant's early solo tunes. So shoot me, I've never claimed to be a purist.

The Firm sucked. VH-1 classic has been playing the one video they made lately. And don't get me started on Coverdale-Page.

And that's . . . the rest of the story. Good day.

Originally posted by justlooking
He says, "Stop listening to boring overblown music by white people."
Ya should be listenin' to the music of a bunch of drunken, colored hobos roundin up coin for another beer, which is what most of the classic bluesmen were, at least before they left the Delta.

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by azzure
Ya should be listenin' to the music of a bunch of drunken, colored hobos roundin up coin for another beer, which is what most of the classic bluesmen were, at least before they left the Delta.
Well, yeah.

It's the blues.

(I really don't see anything inconsistant with liking Delta blues and Led Zep)

Originally posted by justme
(I really don't see anything inconsistant with liking Delta blues and Led Zep)
I really don't see anything inconsistent with liking just about anything and liking just about anything else.

(Although there's less inconsistency with liking the delta blues and Led Zep than with many things.)

...getting back to new music

O.K. I admit. I like Southern Rock. Not the old Lynyrd Synyrd shit, but the newer stuff; Rev. Horton Heat, Southern Culture on the Skids.

Anyhow, I finally got a chance to see a Nashville Pussy show last night, and I have to say I thought they fucking rocked.

æ