New Music you've come to appreciate

Originally posted by alterego
A leaderless drunken cult, but a cult nonetheless. And I'm a bonafide cult member. I love listening to flawed singing. I find it endlessly entertaining. I don't know why.

æ
i must say i find karaoke hypnotic. i have never been to a karaoke club (i mean really). but i find these home movies and when people do it at parties to be fascinating. btw, nice sidebar biblical commentary in another thread.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
I don't mind listening to it (always, much). In fact, I think it can be really fun to watch the drunk Asian businessmen do Sinatra.

I do mind doing it.

(It takes much more liquor than it takes to get me bowling)

Originally posted by justme
(I'm not attacking you, it just frusterates me when I see this kind of ignorance regarding any type of music.)
You gotta be careful. I was there a few posts ago after reading the entire thread and seeing where the board's musical tastes appeared to lie. No sense in getting worked up about it.

Electronica has splintered into so many different sub-genres that it's difficult to call it all one thing at this point. Aphex Twin is up there with Bowie and whoever else (IMHO) as far as pushing music forward goes. Most people don't like electronic music until they hear it in a commercial or an action film.

Originally posted by h. von bingen
i have never been to a karaoke club (i mean really).
Ugh, I wish I could say the same. I am so hooked. I KJ at clubs at least twice a month, and probably go to other KJ's shows twice a week. Last night I was down on the south side in a neighborhood I'd otherwise never set foot in trying to trade discs with these guys so I could get finally get some Steely Dan for my list. I managed to get "Do It Again" so I was happy. That's when you know you're WAY hooked.

æ

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by sod
Most people don't like electronic music until they hear it in a commercial or an action film.
Moby.

(whose earlier stuff I liked (even that bizarre Animal Rights album), but who lost me with Play)

((I'm not really getting worked up))

(((Well, at least compared to other things on UG that piss me off)))

A competely stupid piece of Moby trivia...

Did anybody other than me pick up an album that came out a couple of years ago of people redoing Schoolhouse Rock songs from the 70's?

I thought Moby's version of "Verb; That's What's Happening" was brilliant.

æ

I initially queried why I believed OR preceived that pre-early-70's music was better. I think in some ways music is like language, and the most powerful music for us may always be the music of our youth. Just as it is gets more difficult to learn new languages with age; it is harder to appreciate new genres of music as you get older.

Someone mentioned System of a Down - which is my 13 year olds favorite band. My 15 year old worships Aphex Twin and Moby. After years of dismissing them (if only because I thought my tastes should be more sophisticated than my kids!) I now grudgingly admit that they have some merit. But it has taken time. (I don't have unlimited time like JL). Like HUNSUCKER says, there is so much crap assailing our ears that I tend to tune most new stuff out and wait a few decades until the cream gets sorted out before I seriously invest my listening time. The problem with this approach is missing the opportunity to see the good stuff live. (I missed the first ten years of the Dave Mathews Band for this reason, but luckily they are still touring!)

In any event, even putting asisde the foregoing, I still think the last 30 years or so have been a relatively dry spell for music in general. I don't subscribe to the view that music is merely "sound in time." If it doesn't SING - it ain't music.

There's so much music in the world. You don't only have to listen to new music. And you don't only have to listen to music that's played on the radio (or however music gets marketed these days). There's a lot of old music you don't know. There's a lot of music from outside the U.S. and Western Europe that you don't know. There are whole genres you don't know about.

This is going to be tendentious, but when I see middle-aged men still listening to the same derivative crap they listened to as teenagers,* it makes me sad. There's so much better stuff out there.

Last edited:
It's the "music in general" that gets me.

All you could conceivably be talking about is American pop music.

Lots of African pop forms, as an example, went through golden ages in the 70s and 80s.

Jazz went through a renaissance in the 90s.

There are so many examples. You can have narrow tastes if you want (I guess you'll say you don't have time not to, but I'd say you just don't care enough -- which is fine, but not if you're gonna express broad sweeping opinions). But don't then use the limited nature of what you know and like as a basis for sweeping dismissals of "music in general".

It's like if Julie's went through a dry spell, and then somebody posted that there aren't any good prostitutes in New York anymore.

Last edited:
Ah yes JL - sometimes you are like a father to me (especially since Paulus left). I admit that I spent quite a spell in a deep genre rut (classical and classic rock, mostly) but for several months I have been working my way through all the great blues masters, as you may partly glean from one of my previous posts in this thread.

Rest assured that I am taking notes and will check out the artists mentioned here. Like most sweeping generalizations, mine may not be defensible. The truth is, I don't get adequate exposure to all the music you are talking about. But I appreciate you letting me know about it.

Originally posted by azzure
the most powerful music for us may always be the music of our youth.
This is what it usually boils down to. To continue to seek out new music long after the influence of one's peers has subsided is to really care about music. To hotly anticipate this summer's REO Speedwagon/Styx/Journey tour's arrival to the tri-State area . . . is something different altogether. I have thought about sneaking onto the stage during "Can't Fight this Feeling" in full "Soy Bomb" during the Jones Beach show.

Originally posted by justlooking
I think Play is the best Western pop album of the last five years.
I pretty much gotta side with jl here. While maybe not the best pop album (or maybe is was, I haven't given it that much thought), "Play" brought pop music more dignity than anything I can recall in the last five years.

Missy Elliot's "Under Construction", if we're considering that pop music, is just as strong.

Originally posted by alterego
Normal music is a religion; karaoke is a cult. A leaderless drunken cult, but a cult nonetheless. And I'm a bonafide cult member. I love listening to flawed singing. I find it endlessly entertaining. I don't know why.

æ
Doesn't karaoke translate to "tone deaf?"

I've never been to a karaoke bar, but some people seem to like them. I may check it out someday.

I don't think they've mentioned here yet:
AntiCon records puts out a lot of very good experimental hiphop. Some of it is experimental to the point of unlistenable imho (or rather, things like DoseOne/BoomBip's Circle are good in small doses when you want to sit and listen carefully as opposed to dance or have background music), others are more traditional (AntiPopConsortium).
My favorites from them so far (mind you, this is not knowing all of their stuff by a long shot):
AntiPopConsortium--Arrythmia
Deep Puddle Dynamics--The Taste of Rain...Why Kneel
Themselves--The No Music

Originally posted by Bill Furniture
I've never been to a karaoke bar, but some people seem to like them. I may check it out someday.
If you're not a singer they're a great place to laugh and watch people make complete asses out of themselves.

But if you are a ham who gets a kick out of getting up on a stage and making a complete ass of yourself in front of laughing strangers... beware... karaoke can be addictive.

æ