MLB Hot Stove 2022-2023 discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Winter meetings started this morning, run through Wednesday with the rule five draft.
Yankees might loose a few catchers in the Rule V. Two former number 1's are unprotected. I'm surprised they don't release Higgy and protect at least one of them unless they feel these guys are never going to make it.

Yankees might loose a few catchers in the Rule V. Two former number 1's are unprotected. I'm surprised they don't release Higgy and protect at least one of them unless they feel these guys are never going to make it.
You would think that would be their thought if they didn’t protect them.

Mets sign Verlander 2yrs $86 mil.

Guess he wants his Octobers off.
Being a fan of the game (and not a fan of any particular team), it may pan out to be a smart move. With this signing, I’d be shocked if the Mets didn’t try to get at least 2-3 high end hitter who can play their position with gold glove ability. He’s got limited shelf life left. So they’ll be all in.

I can’t say the same for Jake. I think he’s going to be the biggest free agent signing bust of all time. He’ll be on the DL by May needing TJ surgery.

Met fans may have dodged a bullet…

billyS

Reign of Terror
This deal probably raised Judge's asking price.
Why? Turner is younger and the yearly average is under what Judge has been rumored.
It's more likely to affect Bogarts deal or Correas.

Interesting to see if either tops Lindor's deal but I doubt it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Speaking of Turner, would you guys take a one year flier on Justin Turner at 3B assuming JD gets sent packing?
He's going to be 38 next year but his numbers were solid. He doesn't strike out much and drove in 81 runs.
How is his defense?

I'm thinking if they dump Donaldson and DJ is healthy ( big question mark there), they go with a rotation at third with DJ and Cabrera and maybe someone else like IKF if he isn't traded.

The order of priority in my eyes is this:

1. Sign Judge
2. Sign or trade for a top tier pitcher like Rodon - NOT a second tier bum like Taillon - I would rather stick with Montas or German
3. Sign an outfielder like Benintendi.
4. Acquire a good reliever or two

Our infield is Rizzo at 1B, Torres at 2B, Trevino at C

RIght now it's IKF and Donaldson on the left side of the infield
THEY BOTH NEED TO GO!

If Donaldson ... OR ... Torres is gone ... DJ goes to 2B or 3B

If IKF is gone then Peraza or Volpe plays SS

MY POINT IS .... Why blow what little payroll flexibility we may have with getting an expensive SS or 3B guy??? If you sign someone expensive for SS or 3B then you won't be able to address the more important needs like an outfielder and a good starter.

billyS

Reign of Terror
MY POINT IS .... Why blow what little payroll flexibility we may have with getting an expensive SS or 3B guy??? If you sign someone expensive for SS or 3B then you won't be able to address the more important needs like an outfielder and a good starter.
This is what I've been saying for the last two off seasons when guys want to change the whole team or suggest a guy at a position already covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.