Lobster Suggestions

I'm looking forward to an extravagant lobster dinner this year for my birthday, and was wondering what sort of wine I should pair with it. Also, how big is too big? I suppose I can always pack up any leftovers to make lobster salad with at home. I just wonder if there's a taste difference between smaller and larger lobsters, sort of like how smaller strawberries are usually sweeter than the bigger ones. (I prefer sweeter, more tender lobster meat.)

The standard answer...

to pairing lobster and wine is to pick a rich and buttery chardonnay and you certainly won't go wrong with that choice. However, my preference is for a white Burgundy - something like a simple Macon Villages would work nicely...the Macon has the vanilla and pear nuances that would complement lobster and also is crisp and lean to cut through the buttery richness of the lobster. On a side note, I think that large lobsters are every bit as "sweet" as one and a half pounders...it has everything to do with how they are cooked.
Regarding strawberries, I can't imagine why small berries would be inherently better. The longer fruit grows, the higher the sugar content and lower the acid content.

Ozzy, you're right, I looked it up. I went there some years ago so my memory must be failing me. As I remember, it was good pseudo-Cantonese cuisine.

I'm looking forward to an extravagant lobster dinner this year for my birthday, and was wondering what sort of wine I should pair with it. Also, how big is too big? I suppose I can always pack up any leftovers to make lobster salad with at home. I just wonder if there's a taste difference between smaller and larger lobsters, sort of like how smaller strawberries are usually sweeter than the bigger ones. (I prefer sweeter, more tender lobster meat.)
Sounds like the 'big deal about birthdays' problem with the bf is solved, eh? LOL

Sounds like the 'big deal about birthdays' problem with the bf is solved, eh? LOL
I sort of forced him to make the reservation a month ago. Taking someone out to an expensive dinner is really nice, but not really what I meant by a grand gesture. I was talking more about things that take real effort and forethought. Like, cooking an elaborate dinner, or orchestrating a unique surprise.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Like, cooking an elaborate dinner, .

Made dinner for (at the time) GF. She had mentioned she loves real buffalo mozzarella, and had talked about her favorite wine frm a reasonably obscure Italian vintner. I find the only 3 stores within 25 miles who stock the wine and drive out to Brooklyn to get it. I get some "flown in" Mozzarella di Bufala and serve it with heirloom tomatoes and a little balsamic vinegar, followed by a grilled 3 lbs porterhouse steak and fresh asparagus, and a couple of chocolate soufle's for desert. When someone mentioned in conversation a few days later how nice it must be to have BF who would do that, her comment was "well, it's not like he made souffle's himself, they came from the store". I was so pissed off I said "No, I made them from scratch". When the friend left the room, I admitted to her that they were the kind you buy and then cook and she really let me have it. It's nice to get that kind of thanks for cooking someone a nice dinner.

Try Peter Michael B e l l e Cote. Rich, full bodied. I like it better than their flagship, Mon Plaisir.

As mentioned, Au Bon Climat is also a good choice.

Last edited:
I sort of forced him to make the reservation a month ago. Taking someone out to an expensive dinner is really nice, but not really what I meant by a grand gesture. I was talking more about things that take real effort and forethought. Like, cooking an elaborate dinner, or orchestrating a unique surprise.

So, the answer to my question is 'no'.

Made dinner for (at the time) GF. She had mentioned she loves real buffalo mozzarella, and had talked about her favorite wine frm a reasonably obscure Italian vintner. I find the only 3 stores within 25 miles who stock the wine and drive out to Brooklyn to get it. I get some "flown in" Mozzarella di Bufala and serve it with heirloom tomatoes and a little balsamic vinegar, followed by a grilled 3 lbs porterhouse steak and fresh asparagus, and a couple of chocolate soufle's for desert. When someone mentioned in conversation a few days later how nice it must be to have BF who would do that, her comment was "well, it's not like he made souffle's himself, they came from the store". I was so pissed off I said "No, I made them from scratch". When the friend left the room, I admitted to her that they were the kind you buy and then cook and she really let me have it. It's nice to get that kind of thanks for cooking someone a nice dinner.
would you marry me?

when I divorced, I also divorced the kitchen....I was the "cook" for 20 years...four course gourmet dinners every night.

He never cooked me anything, not even made me a cup of tea.

Where were the guys like you when I was dating?