Latest UG Makeover

Are you two guys using the NEW POSTS tab when you log in each time? Because that's the simplest way I find to read new content.
If you click on the Forums tab and then the New Posts tab under that, the entire list that appears will be the threads where a new post was made since the last time you logged on. And when you click on each of the forums in that list, it automatically takes you to the first unread post. Doing this alleviates the need to see see posts highlighted in bold or see the newest post on top.

When I search a number to make sure I'm not duplicating a post, I am unable to. If I search 212-555-1234 for example, I get a msg saying the following terms we're not included because too short or too common: "212" "555" "1234". This wasn't the case before.

When I search a number to make sure I'm not duplicating a post, I am unable to. If I search 212-555-1234 for example, I get a msg saying the following terms we're not included because too short or too common: "212" "555" "1234". This wasn't the case before.
Yes, you're correct. That appears to be an unfortunate function of the software update in that it is not recognizing the phone number digits as a single search selection but is instead breaking up into groups for the area code/exchange/number. I will mention this to Slinky again.

Are you two guys using the NEW POSTS tab when you log in each time? Because that's the simplest way I find to read new content.
If you click on the Forums tab and then the New Posts tab under that, the entire list that appears will be the threads where a new post was made since the last time you logged on. And when you click on each of the forums in that list, it automatically takes you to the first unread post. Doing this alleviates the need to see see posts highlighted in bold or see the newest post on top.
Banacek, I am not using that method, no. I have marked some threads to be watched and the same with a few specific forums. When I come in, I spot check my watched threads first. See which have updates, click on the title which takes me to the first new post and catch up. Then I do the same with watched forums. It keeps me focused. He's right, on a PC, it's difficult to see the subtlety in the font style as ever so slightly larger or bolder. With a little CSS adjustment, BLAM! I can tell in a heart beat. I've attached visual examples here... As I said, my color choices could be better but I think it's clear from these 2 snipits what wants my attention.

The nice thing about my method is that not only does it work at the thread level but it tells me which forums have at least one new item in it too all in one clean tweak.

Attachments

Banacek, I am not using that method, no. I have marked some threads to be watched and the same with a few specific forums. When I come in, I spot check my watched threads first. See which have updates, click on the title which takes me to the first new post and catch up. Then I do the same with watched forums. It keeps me focused. He's right, on a PC, it's difficult to see the subtlety in the font style as ever so slightly larger or bolder. With a little CSS adjustment, BLAM! I can tell in a heart beat. I've attached visual examples here... As I said, my color choices could be better but I think it's clear from these 2 snipits what wants my attention.

The nice thing about my method is that not only does it work at the thread level but it tells me which forums have at least one new item in it too all in one clean tweak.
You tweaked the locally cached css file? Just curious how you did that. I thought only the server's CSS file would work since connecting to the webpage it's the server's CSS file that is used.

You tweaked the locally cached css file? Just curious how you did that. I thought only the server's CSS file would work since connecting to the webpage it's the server's CSS file that is used.
No, I don't tweak the cached file. I load my version last and it takes precedence. You have to understand the order of operations... Yes, it uses the server css file. That loads first and applies itself where appropriate. BUT, if you have a client based browser plug-in/extension, such as Stylish, you can override the server css with your own commands and they get applied last. Sometimes you have to enforce it with the !important switch in the css to make sure it loads last but it allows you to customize a LOT of things to your own view.

I've done similar things on some of the existing ad websites that have a designated css class where they list the city on the search results view because while the info is good it's not always easy to spot easily. So I highlight it in a more stand out color so I can more quickly scan the results for the towns I'm interested in.

On the previous version of this site, I also used that method to fix the transparent background issue on the pop-up text when you'd hover over the title of the thread. I think I posted that fix a while back here too in a former thread during the last major sw upgrade.

I've attached the style view from chrome for a thread title that has updates. CSS is applied from most generic to most specific (shown from bottom to top). So first the .structItem-title css is applied, then the extra css for .is-unread on that same class is applied and changed the font-weight to 700 from 400. That's the only difference visually and on a PC, that's subtle. You can also see those both come from the server css file. But then right above that it shows my css that's overlayed on top of that. If I had wanted to I could also change the font-weight, size, color, etc and mine would take precedence. Finally any css styles applied directly to the HTML element in the HTML code itself would take final precedence. In this case there isn't any. So I could get rid of the pink background and make the titles green for instance. Or pick a different font-size. Basically, dealer's choice. :cool:

Attachments

Interesting information thanks
No, I don't tweak the cached file. I load my version last and it takes precedence. You have to understand the order of operations... Yes, it uses the server css file. That loads first and applies itself where appropriate. BUT, if you have a client based browser plug-in/extension, such as Stylish, you can override the server css with your own commands and they get applied last. Sometimes you have to enforce it with the !important switch in the css to make sure it loads last but it allows you to customize a LOT of things to your own view.

I've done similar things on some of the existing ad websites that have a designated css class where they list the city on the search results view because while the info is good it's not always easy to spot easily. So I highlight it in a more stand out color so I can more quickly scan the results for the towns I'm interested in.

On the previous version of this site, I also used that method to fix the transparent background issue on the pop-up text when you'd hover over the title of the thread. I think I posted that fix a while back here too in a former thread during the last major sw upgrade.

I've attached the style view from chrome for a thread title that has updates. CSS is applied from most generic to most specific (shown from bottom to top). So first the .structItem-title css is applied, then the extra css for .is-unread on that same class is applied and changed the font-weight to 700 from 400. That's the only difference visually and on a PC, that's subtle. You can also see those both come from the server css file. But then right above that it shows my css that's overlayed on top of that. If I had wanted to I could also change the font-weight, size, color, etc and mine would take precedence. Finally any css styles applied directly to the HTML element in the HTML code itself would take final precedence. In this case there isn't any. So I could get rid of the pink background and make the titles green for instance. Or pick a different font-size. Basically, dealer's choice. :cool:

A new member asked me about changing his avatar. He said that when he got to the account details section that it wouldn't allow him to change the avatar. I'm thinking this is because he is still under moderation. Has anyone changed their avatar while they were still being moderated?

ATTENTION MEMBERS - RE: POSTS IN THE "TALES BETWEEN MY LEGS" FORUM -
There apparently is a software restriction with this forum that is causing ALL POSTS in there to go into moderation. If you have not been in moderation before, this is the reason that you suddenly saw one of your posts to not immediately appear on the board. It does not mean that you have been placed in moderation. The restriction is limited to this forum. The problem has been reported to Slinky. In the meantime, rest assured that a moderator will see your post and deal with it appropriately. Thank you for your understanding.

How many of you had trouble logging on today? What did you experience? I was receiving server error messages and I know at least two other members that had similar problems.

I have had no problems the last 3X I logged on today except it sometimes bounces me out when I navigate to different parts of the site in a new tab. But when I go back to the previous tab, I'm still on.

I have had no problems I'm aware of today not sure why that is but at least there's a benchmark that may or may not be useful and at least it's worth noting that on my end the IP is being consistently found. That aside, there is the reboot everything, and the clear your browser cache exit browser and reload your browser suggestions that may be worth a try if somehow it is not directly IP related but say cookie related.

I was unable to launch utopiaguide.pl until a few hours ago - I was getting my ISP's landing page for the domain you're searching for doesn't exist. Finally, that stopped and I am able to browse through the website while NOT using a VPN. Unable to get past utopiaguide.pl (probably cached on my system or it wouldn't load either) landing page while using a VPN. I have two and tried both and get the same error - server IP address can not be found, DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.

However, using PowPowPow's suggestion, I was able to login while using my VPN by going to 185.229.224.189. As long as the site doesn't switch me back to the text url, I stay connected.

Could be something changed the DNS, that can take as long as 24 hours to update for everyone.

The only consistent for me is that it has been inconsistent. Sometimes I get in on the first try, other times it takes several tries. And when I navigate around the site, it signs me out at times. But if I go back to the prior tab or just arrow back, I am still logged on.