Julies raises rates

Julie has raised rates to $250. Is this too high?

I know that agencies in NYC charge 300 an hour.

I also know the avg wage is 50k. Which is about 500-600 a week aftertaxes.

Is going to see a provider for 1/2 your weeks pay worth it?

I think Julie's rates went too high too fast. Maybe it it went up a little at a time it would not be such a shock. But to go from $120 to $200 for the half is way too much for me to swallow.

Wow... what is Julie thinking? I think it's a huge mistake. I visited often knowing that even though the girl wasn't "model type", it was still a good bargain. But now that it's priced the same as most other Incalls, I'll obviously go for the better looking girls.

I'm surprised they would make a change like that, especially with people tightening their budgets in this economy. I would think, if anything, places would go in the opposite direction pricewise to increase business.

Oh well - here's one customer who probably won't be going there anymore (unless they get another Chloe or Samantha quality girl). I'd be VERY curious to hear Julie's comments on all this.

Julie's Rates: Lord, the sky is falling......

As this newest ripple of nonsense works its way through the "pool" - a moment of not so calm reflection?

It has always been interesting reading review's and posts about Julie's. I have in the past unashamedly sung Julie's praises - perhaps a bit over the top at some points. It is not unlike death and taxes - Julie always markets a product with "value" recognition letting everyone know what is clearly under the "packaging." Julie's is the one place where for a comparatively small price - a client was almost always guaranteed what everyone typically is looking for anyway....hot fucking sex with a fun lady in a comfortable safe surrounding.

Typically, being the incredibly "cheap" narcissitic bastards we tend to be, we then happily took advantage of the situation by going to Julie's MORE OFTEN - since the price allowed greater frequency or as some might describe - more cups of coffee for the buck. We blithely "took it for granted" that this bargain" would last as long as our wallets permitted. We were consistently spoiled by assuming we would always receive and outstandingly hot, GFE sort of experience.

So now, for an extra fifty bucks, the "not so Heavenly Choir" of indulged hobbyists is clearing its collective throat to sing "sour notes" about Julie's business decision. We will have to wait and see!!!!! - In the mean time, please do us all a favor - take the fifty bucks you anticipate feeling cheated out of - get an envelope with a stamp - and QUIETLY send it without any "reviews" to a charitable cause deserving of your support. ....Just a thought; if anyone bothered to check Julie's website, there is in fact a worthy cause she supports. I'm not sure but my guess would be that everyone's in too much of a damn hurry to "check out the new pics, mpegs, and chicks" to bother.

Silence may not always be Golden!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by richardrzhpippin on 06-24-2001 at 04:34 PM]

Ummm... so that means you do or don't think it's a bad thing?? By referring to it as "a ripple of nonsense", I take it that it's no big deal to you?

Not being a wiseguy here, just didn't get the point of the post. But I can't imagine anyone thinking a price increase of that size is "okay". Did you just mean we're making too big a deal out of it??

Apparently you haven't seen my paycheck..ha ha

pswope

One out of three
It appears to be a common knee jerk reaction to the recession and the accompanying decline in clients. Raise your rates and therefor increase your revenue.(putting on my asbestos suit now)when you come as close to be a sex shop commodity biz as Julie's is, that is probably the worst thing she can do.
It's no insult on Julie's ,who runs an excellent brothel business,it's just the reality of the mindset of her customer base.
Some madame is going to realize this,cut rates and make alot of money.

Upping the price

Originally posted by jgd
I think Julie's rates went too high too fast. Maybe it it went up a little at a time it would not be such a shock. But to go from $120 to $200 for the half is way too much for me to swallow.
Number one , guys the price has not moved as of yet for current customers although the half hour has not been 120 for quite some time now. Please understand I have a dilemma, ( a lovely young girl comes to Julies and in a week or so finds she can move on to a 300 dollar house which is almost every house in the city but Julie's. I am just trying to find a way to please the guys and keep the girls. example (Cheyenne) excellent provider but feels she is worth what every other hot provider gets. What do you guys think? You guys are always first when it comes to Julie's

I think that Julies, as a business, should do whatever they want to with prices and service. The elasticity curve and product substitition curves which are somewhat unknown now, will become better defined. In other words, if you can make more money , do it. You can always lower rates later.

OTOH, in a slowing economy not many vendors , except in the intellectual proprerty area, seem to be able to raise prices now.

It'll be curious what happens to the Julies name-brand after raising rates.

h4c, who went to Julies once 3 years ago and never went back

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Re: Julie's Rates: Lord, the sky is falling......

Originally posted by Richardrzhpippin

Typically, being the incredibly "cheap" narcissitic bastards we tend to be, we then happily took advantage of the situation by going to Julie's MORE OFTEN -
[Edited by richardrzhpippin on 06-24-2001 at 04:34 PM]
I do not go to Julies, nor am I an "incredibly cheap narcissistic bastard", so please if you are not going to be silient, speak for yourself.
take care hp

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Firstly, it is not unexpected to see a thread like this. Even if "everyone knew" Julie's was underpriced and the economy was sailing, htere would be complaints of a price rise.

Second, there are several ladies who have raised their prices very recently and found business was not adversely effected.

Thirdly, I have heard of several cases recently where ladies left "lower priced" places to go to places which charged more, only to find themselves sitting around all day with few or no customers. Not feeling that they could "go backwards", several have now left the business altogether. There is always a huge attraction to go to a "higher paying place", sionce it not only offers the Bigger Better Deal of more $$$$, but also self worth ( i.e. I'm a $600 girl now....). This doen't always translate into more money at the end of the week, though, and sometimes means someone's a starving "$600 girl" rather than a wealthy "$200 girl".

Lastly, while the following doesn't say anything about any individual place ( statistics never do ), it says something about where we are headed: From the places I have spooken with lateley, if you make a graph with price on one axis and number of clients served on the other, the slope of the line has increased substantially lately ( in other words, the cheaper places are getting busier and the more expensive places are geting slower ). In fact, while most places I have spoken to recently have gotten slower, the cheapest places are getting much busier. To me, this indicates a shift of some of the same customer base, who can no longer afford what they used to, from higher priced places to lower priced places.

As an aside ( and to keep to our tradition of restaurant analogies ), everyone wants to open the place of the moment, with things like "beef cheeks" on the menu, celebrities, fancy decor, etc. At the end of the day, they drive thier 1973 Buick home, passing the two Mercedes in the driveway of the guy next door who owns a couple of MacDonalds franchises.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
hotpuppy,
"incredibly cheap narcissistic bastard" was aimed at me, since that's my stock and trade ( although my friends usally call me "incredibly cheap narcissistic asshole" ).

pswope

One out of three
Julie

While I no longer go to incall places,it's my understanding that as a general rule,business is slow all over. While working girls obviously talk amongst themselves and tend to gravitate to the places,where they can make the most "bank",the other part of the equation is that a brothel can charge a higher fee or give a bigger part of the fee to the girls but if the place has no clients,it's academic.

You have a tough dilemna. Julies was built on great service from ladies ,who ranged from plain to "hot" in appearance(this of course all being subjective).
Lately,from what I read, you've not been able to replicate your previous top end girls(Chloe,Inna) and have had some uncharacteristically "poor" performers.

While raising rates might seem like the solution,you may experience no increase in business.Although you might want to try a rate increase,you may want to soften it by "encouraging" (ala Janes) greater tipping,instead of increasing the rate. Since this goes directly in the ladies bra,it might encourage them to stay,attract new higher quality ladies and greater john traffic,resulting in higher revenue for you.

Julies

First post on UG.

SB said "give me your hungry, your tired, your huddled masses yearning to read posts without ad frames and with a search feature and more posts than just one week old provider ads".

...or something like that.

Anyway, to the matter at hand: Julies will quickly see the way the wind blows and hopefully make a heading correction that includes a price reduction to competitive levels. Their nearest competitor (geographically speaking) is now at $$20/hr and has an arguably better staff. Why not try to simply meet the competition?

Making a reversal in the rate policy will not be seen as weakness, if it is done quickly and without fanfare. Julie: your previous posts have been fair and even-handed. I believe you to be a reasonable business person. Perhaps your top-tier personnel could be apprised of this thread. It might be good food for thought.

FWIW, I have never been to Julies since their screening requirement is impossible for me to fulfill. I have tried calling from my home phone at the only feasible time (early a.m.) and have never gotten an answer. Oddly enough, I probably never would have gone to their "neighbors" had it not been for this issue.

Personal note: it's good to breathe free!

I think encouraging heavier tipping is definately NOT the way to go. The great thing about Julies is the relaxed atmosphere. Once you start to rely on tipping, the place quickly degenerates into another hussle joint.

In this economic environment, it just seems risky to raise prices. That said, even at $250/hour, Julies will still be one of the better bets in NYC.

A few times over the past year Julie and Bev told me that some girls they interviewed to work there thought the rates were too low. And the last time I was there, in late May, they told me that they planned to raise the rate on June 1 (I guess it actually happened a little later), though they didnt say how high. I was surprised to see it go up to $200.

I was a customer back when the rates went from $100 to $140, with the special old members' rate of $120, which I think happned when she moved her house to W. 48th. I paid $120 (plus the tip I always gave anyway) for a number of visits, and then - uncertain of what the rate was really supposed to be and not wanting to shortchange either the girls or the house - started paying $140.

Certainly if the rates are TOO low, it will be hard to attract and keep new talent. After the girl gets her share (I'm not sure what the split is), Julie has to pay the rent, make a living for herself, and pay Bev (and Tess, that other phone girl some of you guys think is so hot - I dont know, not having met her).

I do think Julie's flat rate policy is best. Abt a year ago i had a session with a girl at Julies who said she also worked at PIT. She told me that she made more money at PIT, but did not like the atmosphere of having to charge guys extra for different services. I've alway tipped at Julies, but I've never been ASKED for one, and that seems to me to make a difference.

EarlyRiser

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Welcome Humble Narrator!

SB, no way for me to know the jibe was aimed at you, I simply felt included, as any reading of it would/ it would be a victory for clarity and accuracy, if people would think before they type or at least use the preview button to review while taking as deep breath
take care HP

[Edited by Hotpuppy on 06-25-2001 at 01:00 PM]

Julies Rate Increase

I have only visited Julies once, so I am certainly not an expert on her services. However, during my visit to her lovely establishment, I was treated very well by Fatima and the girl that answered the phone Tess.

As for the price increase, we live in a democracy that is based on capitalism. If you do not like the price, you do not purchase the item/or make use of the service. If less people use the service, according to supply and demand, the price will decrease. It is quite simple, and it is Julies decision to make.

Honestly, for the price, between Nicole Rio's and Julies you can not go wrong.

Over the few years I have been practiving this hobby I have never gotten a better value then Julies.

In the NY area I have been to JBs, PIT, a place called Wild Wild West (a long time ago), and Julies.

The price increase at Julies concerns me a little bit in that while I do not visit frequently I do on a budget. And while I always budget for a nice tip, this will cut into that, a lot. However, I always tip a girl based on what I feel the true value of the session was. But I realized that I may either have my values messed up, or be in the minority.

However, I understand the dilema she is going through and what I think might be the answer is what many outcall places do, which is have different rates for different girls.

Of course, who decides who shold get the higher rates? And how is this communicated with the customer? And how do you keep this from destroying the great atmosphere that has always been Julies trademark?

So while this is an idea, it my not be realistic or even a good one.