ISO Golf Equipment - Advice

"" needed an excuse for new clubs"" thats a different story, GO FOR IT. Enjoy. I usually take a lesson every few months or so to get my swing back in shape. I find that helps me more than anything else. Of course that gap wedge I got ...........

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Originally posted by pjorourke

He just turned out to be a pain in the ass to be around on the golf course. (But the 11-wood may have been a contributing factor in his case.)
Now thats a different story- while I havent gone for an 11, one of my favorite golf partners carries one and he is deadly with it.
hp

Rules for real golfers...................

Couldn't resist!

1. Each player shall furnish his own equipment for play. (Normally one club and two balls)

2. Play on a course must be approved by the owner of the hole.

3. Unlike outdoor golf, the object is to get the club in the hole and keep balls out of the hole.

4. For most effective play, the club should have a firm shaft. Course owners are permitted to check shaft stiffness before play begins.

5. Course owners reserve the right to restrict the length of the club to avoid damage to the hole.

6. The object of the game is to make as many strokes as necessary until the course owner is satisfied that the play is complete. Failure to do so may result in being denied permission to play the course again.

7. It is considered bad form to begin playing the hole immediately upon arrival at the course. The experienced player will normally take time to admire the entire course, with special attention to well formed bunkers.

8. Players are cautioned not to mention other courses they have played or are currently playing to the owner of the course being played. Upset course owners have been known to damage a player's equipment for this reason.

9. Players are encouraged to have proper rain gear along, just in case.

10. Players should assure themselves that their match has been properly scheduled, particularly when a new course is being played for the first time. Previous players have been known to become irate if they discover someone else playing what they consider to be a private course

11. Players should not assume a course is in shape for play at all times. Some players may be embarassed if they find the course to be temporarily under repair. Players are advised to be extremely careful in this situation. More advanced players will find alternate means of play when this is the case.

12. Players are advised to obtain the course owner's permission before attempting to play the back nine.

13. Slow play is encouraged. However, players should be prepared to proceed at a quicker pace, at least temporarily, at the course owner's request.

14. It is considered outstanding performance, time permitting, to play the same hole several times in one match.

15. The course owner will be the sole judge of who is the best player.

16. Payment for membership is dependent upon the given course. Additional assessment may be levied by the course owner and the rules are subject to change. For this reason, many players prefer to continue to play serveral different courses.

Originally posted by pjorourke

Your stats sound similar to mine. I've been playing the Mizuno Comp-EZ's with stiff sensicore shafts for a couple of years and love them. They are a perimeter weighted forged club that gives a great balance between feel and forgiveness. I think they are still being produced. Here is a review http://www.egolfweekly.com/mizunocompez.html

Two other things you might consider is one of the new balls (e.g., Titleist Pro V-1's) and a custom fitted shaft on your driver. My pro fitted me to a driver that is 1" short of standard because my arms are very long. This gives me a shorter club to control and better contact.

btw, your basic mistake is thinking you will conquer this game.
I was looking at the Mizuno MX-20 newer version of Comp-EZ.
When my swing is under control I use Pro Vees, I also like Noodle, Titleist DT

I have a Ping Tisi whuch I am going to shorten shaft by 1" someone else recommended that as well.

It sure is a hell of a lot of fun trying to conquer it.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by pargolfer
I have a Ping Tisi whuch I am going to shorten shaft by 1" someone else recommended that as well.
Have someone who knows what they are doing change the shaft. You just can't cut an inch off, that will change the shaft's whole dynamic -- flex, kick point, etc.

Try the MX-20's. I think you will like them. (Make sure you get steel shafts. At your size you need them.) You will also find that Mizuno clubs are more aggressively lofted. A Mizuno 5 iron is like a 4.5 on another set -- it goes farther.

some help

I just read where freddy couples was using a 5 series TM driver? hows it possible for it to be illegal if he is using it? I still swear by my TM 320 driver with X100 shaft.

I am by no means a scratch hadi but I am an 8. Don't get out enough to really be good at the game. But the TM 320 series, best, by far, Drivers I have hit. Very forgiving , good distance and confidence builder. I'm the small guy in the group only 5'11 but can hit this club about 285-290 but average about 270 with this driver. The best 3-w I have had the pleasure of demoing are the Titleist dci oversized. Pin point acc from 200 yrds. can throw darts from 150 and in.

I hope this helps

dc,

So much of it is personal choice.

I have never had any success with Titleist irons. They feel too heavy for me and I never feel like they are well balanced.

Never got to demo the TM drivers.

The clubs the pros use are seldom exactly the same ones that are in the racks at the stores. In all probability Freddie was swinging a prototype that conformed at the time.

BTW, if the TM 320 is long and straight and you can "throw darts" from 150 and in, you must be a terrible putter if you're only an "8" (Sorry, couldn't resist (grin))

p.g. You realize if you simply cut 1 inch off the butt the club palys stiffer, right ?

Last edited:
I was watching the AMEX championship yesterday and noticed that Ernie Els is using the TM 5 series driver as well. Im pretty sure it is a conforming driver. True the clubs the pros use are not always the ones we use but the 5 series would have to be a conforming club for the pros to use it.

littleguy

All the stuff you see the Pro's playing are next generation. Clubs, balls, shoes. All of it. And yes my putting is the worse part of my game. It the only part you don't practise enough.

dc,

Funny, that's the part I DO practice enough. It's the easiest to practice. It's the only thing you can really practice in the house, all winter, all the time.

FWIW, MY set makeup

Titleist 975J, 9.5, Ei-70 Stiff shaft
Cleveland Strong 3 wood (13 degrees, Bi-Matrix Stiff shaft
Callaway X-14, DG Sensicore R300, 3-GAP
Cleveland 485 56 deg, 12 degree bounce Sand Wedge
Cleveland 485 60 deg, Lob Wedge.
Scotty Pro Platinum Newport putter.

Set makeup can change due to whim at ANY time. :)

Re: littleguy

Originally posted by Daddycool
All the stuff you see the Pro's playing are next generation. Clubs, balls, shoes. All of it. And yes my putting is the worse part of my game. It the only part you don't practise enough.
Not true. I had an opportunity to hang out at the Buick Classic and I noticed a lot of guys playing some older clubs. A lot of the players were playing with Ping ISI irons, Titleist 990's. A few players seem to favor the steel fairway woods, the old TM Burner and older Calloway etc. There are definiotely those that like the newer toys.