ISO Golf Equipment - Advice

As my index has not moved significantly south this season I have come to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with my clubs. What else could it be?

Sensing that there may be a few golfers amongst us I am seeking some guidance as I look for a replacement set of irons and driver.

I am currently playing with Ben Hogan Apex Plus, +1 over, 2 up with DGS300 irons and my driver is the Wilson Deep Red Fat Shaft 9 degree Stiff.

I am looking for a little more forgiveness on all fronts. I was interested in Cleveland TA7, Adams GT, Mizuno MX20, Titleist 822 and Top Flite XL2000 irons.

I just wacked the new TM 540, and want to try the new COR drivers - are they as good as they feel? I also want to try the new Cobra, Wilson and Cleveland drivers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My favorite golf shops are Enterprise in NJ, Larry's Golf in Westchester and Golfers Warehouse in Orange CT. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

I have never acquired anything over the internet but was thinking of buying my driver off e-Bay any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Last edited:
Too much you left out to be of too much help here.

Your present handicap and distance you hit, say, a 5 iron would help. Age, clubhead speed with the driver would help also.

Trash the Hogan's. Not nearly forgiving enough.

Don't care myself for any of the irons you mentioned though the Cleveland's aren't bad.

Most forgiving irons are Callaways, hands down. I play the X-14 steelheads with DG R300 sensicore shafts. The DG shafts cost about $100 more than their regular shafts. haven't found any irons more forgiving (and believe me I've tried).

Drivers. Love the beautiful head on the Wilson you've got but never tried it on the range. It should be pretty forgiving as that's the crowd it's made for but length and controll ? Don't know.

First of all the Taylor Made "5" series is ILLEGAL. If you don't care about that it may be a good choice. The USGA fucked them. They were going to make the Callaway ERC conforming for next year so TM jumped the gun and made the new "5" series. Then the USGA changed their mind (or perhaps they simply hadn't made the decision yet and TM just assumed they would.

I test drove a whole bunch of them back in the spring. Although I've stayed with the Titleist 975J I bought last year, the new Cleveland Launcher with a Pro Force gold shaft (that's the bright yellow and blue shaft you're seeing all over the place lately) was the one I hit the furthest and the straightest. Next came the Mizuno "Rage" followed by the Adams GT Titanium (which you can now find for as little as $150 at Skydrive in Farmingdale). Titleist also now has two alternate forms of the "J", one to fight fades and one to fight draws if you're so inclined.

I've bought and sold many clubs via "Golfweb". Never had a problem. Doubt you'd have a problem via E-Bay.

Hope this helps. Any questions, feel free.

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
I acquired all of my woods( 1, 5, 7,9, Wilson Fat shaft, Deep Red) via e-bay and saved $450 off the lowest store price. All brand new in the original box.
As a high handicapper, I am not qualified to offer advice on anything else, but I do find that the Wilsons are the most forgiving club Ive ever played with, imparting a top spin that has increased my distance( I hit fairly straight) 10-25 yards, even with mis-hits.
take care
hp

If you have already chosen the clubs you wanted, a good place to purchase them online (or through mail) is Edwin Watts, which is a chain of golf shops based in Texas. They have virtually every club out there, will rarely ever run into problems with items being out of stock, and their prices are the lowest in the "retail" world. You can probably buy them cheaper on ebay, but there is always the risk of getting ripped off. Also, since they are based in Texas, you don't have to pay sales tax and their shipping is (unless it has gone up in the past couple of years) only $15 for an entire set of irons.

Originally posted by pargolfer
Handicap 12
5 Iron 170+
Swing Speed Driver 110+

6 feet 4 260lbs -
Actually as of this evening I am a 17.

HP. The new Wilson Irons are nice, I could be wrong but feel they may not provide enough feel for me.

Js. Edwin Watts is great I get their catalogue.

LG- I am leaning towards the Launcher the 330cc felt great, I just want to try the 400cc and thats if its legal. It does make a difference. I thought they (TM) were going to be legal in January for five (5) years?

I guess I will try the X-14s I have heard great things about the clubs. I have never been a big Calloway fan. Up until recently they had been known to put a very low (cheap) grade shaft on their woods. For some reason that bothered me.

Thanks all.

For some reason, I have never been able to hit Callaway clubs well. One of my golfing buddies always swore by Callaways, and I have tried his Big Bertha and his Biggest Bertha? and have never been able to hit the damn club straight......

I will gladly stay with my Taylor Mades.

My game isn't good enough to where a change in clubs would actually make a difference. My last handicap was about 4 years ago with the NCGA and it was a 22. Maybe if I played more often than once a month.

Last edited:
Anyone not a regular tour pro, a clubhead speed of 110+, is swinging too hard for any shot control. Slow down your swing before you spend any more money on different clubs. It will still go as far with your height and build, but be "dialed in".

Tempo+Balance = Low Score

Last edited:
Originally posted by powdog
Anyone not a regular tour pro, a clubhead speed of 110+, is swinging too hard for any shot control. Slow down your swing before you spend any more money on different clubs. It will still go as far with your height and build, but be "dialed in".

Tempo+Balance = Low Score
Partially correct for me. But I am able to hit my driver. Biggest problem for me is the longer irons which I know are difficult for most but with them I have a tendency to swing way too hard.

Originally posted by jseah
For some reason, I have never been able to hit Callaway clubs well. One of my golfing buddies always swore by Callaways, and I have tried his Big Bertha and his Biggest Bertha? and have never been able to hit the damn club straight......

I will gladly stay with my Taylor Mades.

My game isn't good enough to where a change in clubs would actually make a difference. My last handicap was about 4 years ago with the NCGA and it was a 22. Maybe if I played more often than once a month.
22 was an excellent handicap. I play a lot so for a weekend warrior that is great. Calloways big problem was their shaft. If you reshaft those clubs they are a completely different club. Their woods division has suffered according to a friend of mine that heads up marketing for the irons

""5 Iron 170+
Swing Speed Driver 110+""

Doesn't sound right. Im 6-3 and my driver swing speed is 112 but my 5 iron CARRIES 200 yds. Sounds like a swing problem more than a club problem. What kinda shafts ya hitting? Im betting graphite.

I just read where freddy couples was using a 5 series TM driver? hows it possible for it to be illegal if he is using it? I still swear by my TM 320 driver with X100 shaft.

what distance are you hitting on a regular basis with that driver? and how often is it on the fairway?

Originally posted by nnjguy
""5 Iron 170+
Swing Speed Driver 110+""

Doesn't sound right. Im 6-3 and my driver swing speed is 112 but my 5 iron CARRIES 200 yds. Sounds like a swing problem more than a club problem. What kinda shafts ya hitting? Im betting graphite.

I just read where freddy couples was using a 5 series TM driver? hows it possible for it to be illegal if he is using it? I still swear by my TM 320 driver with X100 shaft.

what distance are you hitting on a regular basis with that driver? and how often is it on the fairway?
"regular basis" thats tough this season has been hot and cold I have clobbered it in several rounds 290+++ straight i would average out at least 270. Believe it or not my better rounds were played at the height of the summer heat. I tend to play slower and swing easier. However I have had severe problem with go over the top on some days so its 100 yard out 200 yards sharp right. I can hit my five iron over 200 but not with any consistancy. The hogans are a great iron 6 on down but the 3, 4 and 5 offer no forgiveness. I had played this past Friday and used my buddies Titleist 822's Dynalite shaft and seemed to play much better. My clubs were fitted by a very good pro I ended up with Dynamic Gold S300. I know its more than a club problem but I needed an excuse for new clubs and my clubs offer nothing in terms of forgiveness.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by pargolfer
Handicap 12
5 Iron 170+
Swing Speed Driver 110+

6 feet 4 260lbs -
Your stats sound similar to mine. I've been playing the Mizuno Comp-EZ's with stiff sensicore shafts for a couple of years and love them. They are a perimeter weighted forged club that gives a great balance between feel and forgiveness. I think they are still being produced. Here is a review http://www.egolfweekly.com/mizunocompez.html

Two other things you might consider is one of the new balls (e.g., Titleist Pro V-1's) and a custom fitted shaft on your driver. My pro fitted me to a driver that is 1" short of standard because my arms are very long. This gives me a shorter club to control and better contact.

btw, your basic mistake is thinking you will conquer this game.

Last edited:

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by Hotpuppy
I dont suppose it was because he was beating your pants off? :)
hp
No, I have nothing against fairway woods per-se. In fact, I normally carry a 7 wood (and an extra wedge) in lieu of a 3&4 irons.

He just turned out to be a pain in the ass to be around on the golf course. (But the 11-wood may have been a contributing factor in his case.)