Insomnia Club

Shop doesn't close until 5:30.

I think I'm awake having a nightmare, or was it just the same repetitive blah, blah , blah, with the on again off again ex (at least one of them), and the utr mia.

Only pussy around here lately uses a litter pan & either screams or purrs, but mainly screams.

Marc you said "(Sigh.) Thanks God, women are far from knowing the whole truth about us."

I think they know everythng about us, even before we know it.

It's almost 5:00am. Does anyone want the keys to lock up?

Last edited:
I wish this thread was around years ago when I had such bad insomnia. I am not completely cured but as good as I am going to get, at least I don't fear the night anymore.

Has anyone heard of portal mania? it's a theory that the person needs to be continuously moving, like a compulsion. It is a one of the causes of insomnia where the mind and body cannot stop moving because they want to get away from the dissatisfaction of thier life, always looking fro something new but never finds it. The people who walk the streets all night usually have that, they keep walking to nowhere. My shrink told me I have that especially when I was a teenager (I used to stay up all night listening to the radio, watching movies, reading and then ride my bike around Queens as soon as the sun came up and return before my family woke up). I can't find anything written about it, I swear I think he makes stuff up each session sometimes but still they are interesting theories.

Another theory also revolves around dissatisfaction of thier waking life so the person makes thier own world at night where they control thier surroundings. The night becomes a world of thier own to escape the world they have to share with others.

He wrote a book regarding sleep hygiene, sleep rituals and other theories regarding why people have insomnia.

My sleep is regularly spoiled by nightmares occurring usually after about 1.45 or 2 hours of sleep. I can't sleep afterward.

Not sure if I have the portal mania (first time I read about it). My body is stable but I can't stay in bed. If I stay there my heart beats too fast, my arms go numb and so on. Once I am up, I feel normal and I can hang around for hours in perfect condition.

I am too very effective during the night and I do some of my work then. I am recently trying to discourage myself from this and struggling to normalize my daily regime. I have never taken pills and hope to do this the natural way.

Last edited:
My sleep is regularly spoiled by nightmares occurring usually after about 1.45 or 2 hours of sleep. I can't sleep afterward.

Not sure if I have the portal mania (first time I read about it). My body is stable but I can't stay in bed. If I stay there my heart beats too fast, my arms go numb and so on. Once I am up, I feel normal and I can hang around for hours in perfect condition.

I am too very effective during the night and I do some of my work then. I am recently trying to discourage myself from this and struggling to normalize my daily regime. I have never taken pills and hope to do this the natural way.
It sounds like you might have stillness anxiety. There is a drug called tenex specifically to help reduce nightmares. I know you don't want to take drugs but have you tried aroma therapy? If you place a few drops of German Blue Chamomile on your pillow it might give your unconscious a sense of peace. I find the aroma intoxication but it must be German Blue Chommille which is expensive but a little goes a long way. There is also essential oil of Valerian but it is an acquired taste. Lighting is also important, full spectrum lights can also be soothing.

Sorry :( I was climbing into bed and figured I would pester you as I did. Arent I cute? :)
Wait, did I say climbing into bed, I meant outside your window waiting to be let in and it was 15 on the thermometer .. brrr!! Meanie!!! But you were texting me until 45 minutes or so before that.. so its not like you were sound asleep or anything :) hehe..
Its ok gorgeous, i like getting your txts regardless of time....i was so exhausted i fell asleep in 5 mins flat...i am so looking forward to winter break from school, 2 wks of no homework, tests or papers...now i know how my kids feel...i think my age is catching up with me, i just dont seem to have the same energy i used to, yet even when im done with things i cant seem to fall asleep...even if my body is screaming for bed, my mind is going at 100 mph.....xox

It sounds like you might have stillness anxiety. There is a drug called tenex specifically to help reduce nightmares. I know you don't want to take drugs but have you tried aroma therapy? If you place a few drops of German Blue Chamomile on your pillow it might give your unconscious a sense of peace. I find the aroma intoxication but it must be German Blue Chommille which is expensive but a little goes a long way. There is also essential oil of Valerian but it is an acquired taste. Lighting is also important, full spectrum lights can also be soothing.
Thank you Emily for your suggestions. You are very kind.

I may think about it. If I don't make it work the natural way then I will have to look for outside help. The aroma therapy could be a start considering my distrust in drugs.

Thank you Emily for your suggestions. You are very kind.

I may think about it. If I don't make it work the natural way then I will have to look for outside help. The aroma therapy could be a start considering my distrust in drugs.
There are many alternatives to pharmaceuticals - homeopathic herbs, light therapy, aroma therapy, imagery therapy,meditation and changing your sleep habits. You can try combining a few alternatives and see what works. I use imagery and aroma together to create a setting to lose myself in.

FAH is right about getting away from the computer, in fact try to get away from all technology before going to sleep. Nightmares are an egnima, I have done so many dream analysis with my doctor and I found the more I make sense of the them the less I fear them. I have reoccurring dreams of my teeth falling out, being unprepared before taking a test, injured animals, being trapped or abducted, they all represent my fears and regrets in life.

You and FAH are right about the computer. I am aware of it. I also enjoy it very much being near a computer. It has put not rarely in danger my work and my relationship. It's the addiction of my life.

My nightmare should be explained by horrors of armed conflicts and violence that I have seen in real life. All my nightmares are kidnapping situations and public lynching. I am inclined to believe that I don't need a shrink to read them, but I can also be wrong.