How to cook a steak.

billyS

Reign of Terror
The thread on best Steak house got my mouth watering, but I also noticed some disscussion on which is the best way to cook a steak. Everyone has there own opinion so lets not shout anyone down, I'm interested in hearing which you think is the best way and why.
Some one mentioned broiling and the need for a high gas flow. Other perfered open flame.
Beside the methods I am interested in the why's behind it.

Over an open flame high temp is not an issue. That's why I no like broiled. Pan frying is passable in a pinch but you can't cook a steak more than an inch thick in a pan. Flame, pref charcoal and none of that easy start shit that's soaked in lighter fluid.

Cook in a BBQ grill with cover closed not directly over the flame for 6 minutes, then open the cover, cook another 3 minutes directly over the flame and another 3 minutes the other side. The resulting steak should be medium-rare.
(For steak 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick)

billyS

Reign of Terror
Over an open flame high temp is not an issue. That's why I no like broiled. Pan frying is passable in a pinch but you can't cook a steak more than an inch thick in a pan. Flame, pref charcoal and none of that easy start shit that's soaked in lighter fluid.
Ozzy,
I'm partial to an open flame myself. Do you believe in just flipping it once or do you turn it frequently?

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
I don't know the chemistry of it. I just know that hot grill at a restaurant kitchen cooks the steak better than what I can do at home.

Cook it on a grill to get the desired temp and finish it in the pan with garlic butter to get that nice seared finished (Palm Steak method). Also don't forget the finger rule to determine proper temp - open palm, pressure equal to rare, thumb/first finger MR, thumb/middle finger Med, thumb/ring finger MW, thumb/pinky MW

Last edited:
Someone in the other thread also mentioned heat. Why do some of you feel that is important?
Because timing is everything not enough heat and the inside of the steak will be raw, too much heat and the outside will be dry and burned while the inside is still rare. Cooking the steak all depends on how you like it IMO. I like mine medium - medium rare and my favorite steak of choice is skirt steak marinated.

The best indoor grill.................

I bought this indoor grill 11 years ago and it is the best to cook steak in (also fish and veggies). it comes out perfect every time. It's from Japan and I bought it for $250 at that market on 59th off the bridge but have seen it in a market on 33rd off of 6th Ave for half that after. The instructions are in Japanese but it's so easy to figure out. It is completely detachable to clean everything. Unlike the Forman the grill is separate from the basin and all the fat drips off and it has a carbon disk in the lid to absorb odor. I can't say enough good things about it. Panasonic makes it but mine is named National model # NF-RT300N. It works as good today as the day I bought it and I used it alot.

Unlike the Forman the grill is separate from the basin
The new Foremans have this feature also -- I purchased my second Foreman earlier this year.

I tell you what was a disaster trying to grill in the Foreman -- fish. Maybe just my "culinary capabilities" but I tried that once only.

Last edited:
Best way to cook a steak is on a super hot grill. You can't do it at home.

Yes, you can. You just have to have one at home.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the single biggest problem with cooking steaks at home: they buy them pre-cut at the supermarket. Firstly, they almost always cut them too thin. Most cuts cook much better over 1 1/2" up to 2 1/2" thick. The usual supermarket steak is 3/4" to 1". Even if you have the porper equipment, it's hard to get the outside crisp and still have the insde rare. The heat just gets to the inside too quickly.

And that's also why you need equipment, wqether its a grill or salamander or broiler.... that is capable of high output. Even when you are going to pan fry a steak, you want to do it at high heat for this exact same reason.

But it's not that difficult to cook steak well if you start with the right steak, and cook it the right way depending on the style of cooking (grilling, broiling, or pan frying). With pan frying, you need a flat bottomed skillet that has the ability to tranfer large amount of heat to the meat: most professional lines carry at least one appropriate pan for doing this. Also, you have to pick your cut more carefully if pan frying: you want to stick with cuts like ribeye.

Ozzy,
I'm partial to an open flame myself. Do you believe in just flipping it once or do you turn it frequently?
Depends on thickness. I like to bbq at least a 2 inch steak. Less than that and you only need to flip it once. On 2 inches or more you need to flip it a couple times if you want it rare (not raw) or med rare. Also depends on cut of meat and amount of fat.

A little Brazilian chef I know taught me a trick about squeezing a little fresh lime on the steak after it's been half cooked. The acid in the juice somehow helps the texture of the steak so it's nice and crispy on the outside but the lime flavor keeps it from tasting burnt or charred. Putting it on after it's been cooked half way thru keeps it from seeping too deep into the meat and changing the flavor of the whole steak.