How to cook a steak.

Thanks, I've been marinating it. And that does help.
I've seen recipes call for "cutting it against the grain" but I'm not sure what that means.
I mean there is only one way to slice it. The long way, right?
Ok, against the grain is simple. Take your London broil, lay it on your cutting board so its in a horizontal position, ends pointing east and west.

Slice the top of the steak going horizontally against the top side of the meat.

Yes nine.... Kind of the same as the. Low temp oven reverse sear..... The reason why I like the sous vide is that you can basically hold the temp at like 125 or 1:30 for however long you want it.

Great technique if you're entertaining and things run outside of your timeline
Love it! You have a sous vide machine at home? It's the perfect cook every time.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Ok, against the grain is simple. Take your London broil, lay it on your cutting board so its in a horizontal position, ends pointing east and west.

Slice the top of the steak going horizontally against the top side of the meat.
I just YouTube it. I was doing it right. Except I wasn't angling it.

When you take a steak off the grill you should let it sit for a while before cutting it. It still is cooking and the juices will distribute inside properly and not run out onto the plate or cutting board. I am trying to remember exact words from an Andrew Bourdain episode. This is hard to do when you are hungry.

billyS

Reign of Terror
When you take a steak off the grill you should let it sit for a while before cutting it. It still is cooking and the juices will distribute inside properly and not run out onto the plate or cutting board. I am trying to remember exact words from an Andrew Bourdain episode. This is hard to do when you are hungry.
But if you wait, say 10 minutes, is it still warm when you eat it?
That's why I think I always wind up rushing the "resting" period. I don't want to eat cold meat.

But if you wait, say 10 minutes, is it still warm when you eat it?
That's why I think I always wind up rushing the "resting" period. I don't want to eat cold meat.
8 ~ 10 minutes for smaller cuts 15~20 for larger cuts. Ii am a decent bbq'r used to have a business surrounding it. Few good tips for cooking steaks to make like easier and make you look like a pro. Corse kosher salt at least 2 hours up to 24 hours before cooking, generous amounts rubbed in on all sides. Take out of fridge 30~60 minutes before cooking. Get grill super hot before placing steaks in it then drop temp to medium right after steaks hit the grill. Rotate steaks 90degress 1/4 of the way through , flip it half way rhrough and rotate 90 degrees 3/4 of the way through ( will give you that waffle sear pattern and help evenly cook steaks . Not sure when done? Pinch thumb abd pinky together feel part of palm below thumb with other hand it will feel like a well done steak move thumb to ring finger for medium, middle finger for med rare and index finger for rare. A built in gauge for steak style. Let rest after cooking as discussed. .Costco has some superior cuts of prime meat which I often use on the grill with excellent results

Soak wood chips in water for a while. Then, sprinkle over the charcoal, put the grill on, put the meat on the grill and put the cover on. I like using hickory chips for steaks. Home Depot has them. The chips impart a smoky flavor which is really really nice.

Mesquite wood chips are nice for duck! I put the coals on the sides of the Weber kettle for indirect cooking, with the wet chips sprinkled on them. The coals are kept to the side by a wire contraption they sell. The duck goes in the middle. Just put some olive oil and kosher salt on the duck(Costco has nice ones in freezer). You need to make an aluminum foil basin to catch the drippings from the duck! Cook around 1 hour and enjoy! Tasty smoked duck.

Sorry to deviate from main "Steaks" topic a little.

Reviving this thread for the same reason I started it 15 years ago (see the first post).

Moved some of the posts out of the LI Steakhouse thread to here because some of you guys sound pretty creative.

Feel free to share.

Also, someone a few posts ago mentioned London Broil. I've given up on that cut because I can't seem to get it tender like a friends mom used to when I was a kid.
Any suggestions?
I saw a tutorial where it was seared then broiled then a final rub mustard based wrapped in foil and cooked some more. I’m still trying to find it.

Marinate it in:

1/2 cup lite soy
1/3 cup bourbon/whiskey - I use JD
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
1 tsp tobasco
1.5 lb - 2 lb London broil or flank steak

Wisk up ingredients, pour into a zip lock, add steak and move around. Let marinate a few hours.
Grill it

Trick with LB is to not go past medium rare and slice it thin against the grain. Use a USDA Choice cut, prime is even better.
Stop & Shop has good black angus in vacuum pack bags.

Back in the day, early seventies, when I lifted weights and played football, I ate tons of protein.

Breakfast was a thick steak, half dozen eggs, pound of bacon, quart of milk, half loaf of bread with cheese. You get the picture.

Anyway, I was young and poor and needed an abundance of beef stored up in the fridge for breakfast and dinner. (I skipped lunch. Amazingly, that little breakfast held me over until dinner)

I bought the very cheapest cuts of beef available, T-bones, chuck, whatever was the absolute cheapest. If it was red meat and cheap, I stacked them up and literally cleaned out the grocers refrigerated bin. I remember paying sometimes 39 cents a pound.

So, the secret in making tough meat tender in those days was papaya (papain) and pineapple (bromelain) enzymes. Meat tenderizers had one or both of those enzymes in them, along with spices, salt, pepper.

I would marinate my tough, fibrous chuck in a mixture of papain and bromelain mixture and the action of the papain and bromelain was to break down the collagen and connective tissue of the tough rigid cheap meat and render it into a poor man’s filet mignon.

I’m pretty basic. Throw it on the bbq on high. Pull it off medium. Some salt. And I surround it with great sides (garlic mashed potatoes, corn on the cob , sautéed broccoli .
Even your sides by themselves, stand-alone, make a great hearty satisfying meal for simple folk like myself.