How to cook a steak.

Black & Blue is and another term... ;)

Not sure which STATE it started in, but I've heard the phrase in NJ and in NY... Basically steak is not TOO thick, grill is SUPER hot, steak is seared for 45 to 60 seconds on each side and served right away!

Black on the outside, slightly charred... Blue (not really it's color) to signify that the blook on the inside is still so cool/cold it's blue... At least that was how the waiter in NJ explained it to me... ;)

-Lonewolf

1. use good meat--I like the butcher shop at bryant & cooper in Roslyn on LI.
2. A nice well marbled cut like bone in rib eye or NY strip work well.
3. dry rub the steak with Tony Chechere's creole seasoning
4 pre heat oven to 350
5. pan sear all sides of steak in a good pan that can be placed in oven after searing.
I use an all clad grill pan, but an all clad style knockoff would also work.
6. place pan with steak in oven.
7 cook 15 1/2 minutes for rare
add 1 minute for medium rare
8 30 sec more for medium
9 take steak out and let sit 3 minutes
10 pour the chateau neuf du pape red wine that you opened to breathe at step 3
11 enjoy
Now that is the best way to make a steak, most restaurants do the same and I tend to do the same

If anyone’s been to the elbow Room in the north fork, I have their marinade recipe. And it’s amazing, among my favorite marinades of all time.

INGREDIENTS:
- 2 medium onions- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic- ½ cup gravy master
- 1 tsp Lawry’s seasoned salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
- Mix all ingredients except the seasoned salt in a blender until it becomes paste-like
- Add seasoned salt and stir
- Cover the meat with mixture
- Marinate 5 hours, turning every hour (I just put in ziplock bag)

• Do not use aluminum pan to marinate

If anyone’s been to the elbow Room in the north fork, I have their marinade recipe. And it’s amazing, among my favorite marinades of all time.

INGREDIENTS:

INSTRUCTIONS:
- Mix all ingredients except the seasoned salt in a blender until it becomes paste-like

You are missing the soy sauce and gravy master. 1 cup soy to 1/4 cup gravy master. Additionally they used beau monte spice blend instead of the Lawry. Substitute for the spice blend you can use celery salt

INGREDIENTS:

INSTRUCTIONS:

You can’t seriously put seasoning salt on a good steak

You can’t seriously put seasoning salt on a good steak
I tend to agree but it is useful for lesser cuts like londen broil etc. Everyone loves it when I make it for a large group

For me I am a straight up hanger steak guy. But to the pureists out there they probably would look down upon my sous vide cast iron finish technique lol

I tend to agree but it is useful for lesser cuts like londen broil etc. Everyone loves it when I make it for a large group

For me I am a straight up hanger steak guy. But to the pureists out there they probably would look down upon my sous vide cast iron finish technique lol
I'm guessing you sous vide the steak then sear it on high to create a nice crust on outside?

billyS

Reign of Terror
Reviving this thread for the same reason I started it 15 years ago (see the first post).

Moved some of the posts out of the LI Steakhouse thread to here because some of you guys sound pretty creative.

Feel free to share.

Also, someone a few posts ago mentioned London Broil. I've given up on that cut because I can't seem to get it tender like a friends mom used to when I was a kid.
Any suggestions?

Reviving this thread for the same reason I started it 15 years ago (see the first post).

Moved some of the posts out of the LI Steakhouse thread to here because some of you guys sound pretty creative.

Feel free to share.

Also, someone a few posts ago mentioned London Broil. I've given up on that cut because I can't seem to get it tender like a friends mom used to when I was a kid.
Any suggestions?
Marinate it in:

1/2 cup lite soy
1/3 cup bourbon/whiskey - I use JD
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
1 tsp tobasco
1.5 lb - 2 lb London broil or flank steak

Wisk up ingredients, pour into a zip lock, add steak and move around. Let marinate a few hours.
Grill it

Trick with LB is to not go past medium rare and slice it thin against the grain. Use a USDA Choice cut, prime is even better.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Marinate it in:

1/2 cup lite soy
1/3 cup bourbon/whiskey - I use JD
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
1 tsp tobasco
1.5 lb - 2 lb London broil or flank steak

Wisk up ingredients, pour into a zip lock, add steak and move around. Let marinate a few hours.
Grill it

Trick with LB is to not go past medium rare and slice it thin against the grain. Use a USDA Choice cut, prime is even better.
Thanks, I've been marinating it. And that does help.
I've seen recipes call for "cutting it against the grain" but I'm not sure what that means.
I mean there is only one way to slice it. The long way, right?

I'm guessing you sous vide the steak then sear it on high to create a nice crust on outside?
Yes nine.... Kind of the same as the. Low temp oven reverse sear..... The reason why I like the sous vide is that you can basically hold the temp at like 125 or 1:30 for however long you want it.

Great technique if you're entertaining and things run outside of your timeline

I rub with brown sugar then when mostly done I brush on my "gravy" .... melted butter with minced garlic and brown sugar in it. The best!I cook to 135 -140 internal temp. Then you have to let it rest for maybe 5-10 minutes. I loosely take a tented piece of tin foil over the steak. I always grill it. And I use the sear station on my weber!

Yes nine.... Kind of the same as the. Low temp oven reverse sear..... The reason why I like the sous vide is that you can basically hold the temp at like 125 or 1:30 for however long you want it.

Great technique if you're entertaining and things run outside of your timeline
I've sous vide and seared thick steaks with good results, but never anything as thin as a hanger. Do you let it cool before the sear so the inside doesn't go over at that point?

Feel free to share.

Any suggestions?
Look for kidney shape I find them to be very good

I've sous vide and seared thick steaks with good results, but never anything as thin as a hanger. Do you let it cool before the sear so the inside doesn't go over at that point?
It doesn't make a difference... Just make sure you dry it well salt and pepper and put it in a screaming hot pan. Literally 30 seconds a side