Hair Transplants Anyone have Experience to Share

Few questions: (See my answers next to your questions)

What was the price? The price usually depends on how many grafts are done, but I will say that for the average transplant, the cost would range between $1500 - $3000. Often, there is another transplant done at a later date to fill in further. This was done by a dermatologist. Since this was several years ago, it is very possible the price has dropped as techniques get better.

Did it leave scars? Yes, there were small scars at the back of my head, but ya gotta look close to see them - they are virtually undetectable.

Does the new hair have the same texture? Yes, same texture.

How hard is it to detect? Impossible - once it grows in, there is no way anyone could possibly guess I had a hair transplant.

Let me know if you have more questions.

And if you think it is expensive - well it is - but the results, as described
above are terrific. I wound up having two transplants. Earlier this year I
had chemotherapy and lost all my hair - when it grew back, all of it grew back,
included the transplanted areas.
Ryan - Thanks

Sorry to hear about the Chemo, Hope you are strong and cured.

I had my own fight 5 years back.

I've had probably 7 or 8 transplant sessions over the course of 15 years.Initially they were single hair transplants to make my hairline more dense.(these transplants are undetectable ,even by many haircutters) As my hair thinned I had additional sessions.(by a different MD)The average person CANNOT detect A GOOD TRANSPLANT.My first sessions were done by an MD who is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE.I did my research and found An MD who is more reasonable,and did multi hair transplants.(not singles)You can eventually expect to spend between $10,000 ,$12,000 to $18,000, $20,000,depending on the MD and the density you want.

Ryan - Thanks

Sorry to hear about the Chemo, Hope you are strong and cured.

I had my own fight 5 years back.
One more thing - if you have a particular Dermatologist or Dr. in mind,
you can ask to speak with one of his patients that had a transplant
to see how his experience was.

My fight is going well - I don't have a cancer - something else very unusual,
but for right now, all is well, I'm in good health, and I just have to watch things
in the years to cum.

I've had probably 7 or 8 transplant sessions over the course of 15 years.Initially they were single hair transplants to make my hairline more dense.(these transplants are undetectable ,even by many haircutters) As my hair thinned I had additional sessions.(by a different MD)The average person CANNOT detect A GOOD TRANSPLANT.My first sessions were done by an MD who is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE.I did my research and found An MD who is more reasonable,and did multi hair transplants.(not singles)You can eventually expect to spend between $10,000 ,$12,000 to $18,000, $20,000,depending on the MD and the density you want.
Thanks for the info - I often wonder how much of a difference the doc makes.

Someone told me that most of the job is done by a hair stylist. Like many medical procedures, these docs have a license to steal.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you would be able to speak to one of the patients under the HIPAA privacy law.
I spoke with a couple of patients on behalf of my dermatologist, though I
haven't in the last few years. . . which may coincide with the HIPAA law.
Don't know how the current law applies to cosmetic procedures.

I spoke with a couple of patients on behalf of my dermatologist, though I
haven't in the last few years. . . which may coincide with the HIPAA law.
Don't know how the current law applies to cosmetic procedures.
It's very strict and it doesn't matter what kind of procedure. If you go in for a cold, the Doctor can't disclose it to anyone. I think it went into affect about three or four years ago.

It's very strict and it doesn't matter what kind of procedure. If you go in for a cold, the Doctor can't disclose it to anyone. I think it went into affect about three or four years ago.
From the Doctor - i believe this is allowed as it is done with the expressed permission of all parties involved

just wait

a couple years.. maybe some drug company will have something that actually grows new hair and keeps growing.... check out the pub med board to see new developments... rogaine is the only thing that has FDA approval to grow new hair...if im mistaken then correct me.

Last edited:
a couple years.. maybe some drug company will have something that actually grows new hair and keeps growing.... check out the pub med board to see new developments... rogaine is the only thing that has FDA approval to grow new hair...if im mistaken then correct me.
They have Propecia, I asked my dermitogist about it, he said it works, but its side effect is that it can mask problems with the prostrate